Upgrading saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I sold my ms460 and am about to purchase a new ms461r. I also have a 026 pro that is in good shape and was thinking of selling. The saw owes me nothing 20 years of sporadic use and it runs like a champ just wanting something new. Reading posts here got me wondering about having the o26 ported, would it make much difference? What will it do to reliability? Or should I be looking at a 261 or something from the dark side? Any thoughts appreciated.

meh, I do like a 261 and I use one but having an 026 ported would be around 300 all-in whereas a 261 is closer to 700 unported.
I think in stock form a 261 is an improvement on the 026 but a ported 261 is around 1000.00 and for a second saw, I see an 026 ported as a fun smaller saw.
If the budget will bear the burden a ported 241 or 261 is big fun, and likely will have more of the feel of his new 461.
There are some 026s out there that plain run, run, run :)
Scott - you will likely have to ship a saw to get it ported though there are probably great guy in Wisconsin, I don't know any personally.....yet :)

I had the same thought process a few weeks ago. Having a little issue from not using the 026 pro enough. After some tinkering and cleaning, got it running well. Was going to send it out, until I ran into a 661c and a 261c from the same guy. Dumped the 026 and got the new technology. I love the new ones. Easier to start, way less smoke during warm up and when running, seem to be better antivibe, just seem all around better. The air cleaners are better. Got 250 out of my old 026 pro with just a 16" bar and one chain. Picked up the 261 for 450, so less increase than having the old one ported.

Wow a 261c for 450, I would jump on that too. My 026 pro was my first saw so there is some sentimental value there also. Mine has been a joy to own, never fussy. But on a 20 year old saw is there anything else you would replace when porting to protect the investment? Also what does porting do to reliability? That is probably my biggest concern in any saw.

I vote for the 261 because of the reasons in the above post^^^^^^

If you pay with cash you can probably get a 261 for $550ish plus tax, ask the dealer what their cash money price is.

I am not ford Chevy fight to the death guy, I have 2 husqvarna lawn tractors and a brush cutter in the garage. The brush cutter is my least favorite tool been a gutless pos since day one but the tractors are good. I have had such good luck with the 460 and 260 it would take a very good reason not to buy a stihl.20 years on the 026 and 17 on the 460 without a real malfunction..... Pretty tough to beat.

1. Seems to me that porting is for saws that are new or don't have many hours on them due to the wear factor. Besides, the air filter on the 026/ms260 is a bottleneck.
2. My stock ms261 is plenty fast & works well with my ms460, my ms260 leaves too much of a power/speed gap.

Wow,I just wish I could find deals like these, I have been watching cl and this site but every thing I have seen has been to close to new pricing for me to consider.

image.jpg These are the kind of deals in my area, by the time you add a bar and chain you could have a new saw.

I know I was quoted 1038 for a ms461r w/28" Es bar and chain.People around here seem to think that their used Stihl is worth new prices.

Latest posts

Back