Urgent help required on Stihl S10!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have this Stihl S10 in the shop. It starts fine, runs fine, cuts fine. It has decent to good compression. I've been through the carb twice and don't see any problems. If I set it down on the ground and let it idle, it will idle all day long. The problem is that with the saw sitting on a level surface, the bottom of the carburetor and air intake elbow form a depression that fuel will puddle in as the saw is idling. Then when you hit the throttle, it floods out and dies. If I hold the back of the saw up a little while it idles, the fuel will run into the cylinder and all is well, but if I set it on a level surface, fuel will collect within seconds, and the flooding occurs upon application of the throttle. I have no idea how to fix this.

I refuse to return this saw to my customer like this, and they obviously didn't do this when new. Anyone have any experience with this type of problem, or have a suggestion? I'm about ready to add a drain hole :angry:

Okay, on after some thought I pulled the cylinder to check the rings. The rings are definitely worn. I'm going to re-ring it and see if it helps. I'm guessing that it was suffering from a weak intake signal, with excessive back flow through the carb. We'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Back