US Stove Upgrade? 1557 or 1537

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have the USStove 1537. In the top of the stove there is a big opening where the smoke goes up , across the top and out the back. I am thinking of measuring the gap from the steel plates and making a baffle that slides so you can control the smoke outlet. All it would take it one piece of plate. Bolt a piece of rod to it. Drill a small hole out the front for the rod and put a knob on it. I see they have something similar on the 1600 model. Do you guys think it would help?

I have the USStove 1537. In the top of the stove there is a big opening where the smoke goes up , across the top and out the back. I am thinking of measuring the gap from the steel plates and making a baffle that slides so you can control the smoke outlet. All it would take it one piece of plate. Bolt a piece of rod to it. Drill a small hole out the front for the rod and put a knob on it. I see they have something similar on the 1600 model. Do you guys think it would help?

It works on the 1600 so you could be on the right path. i seen they use fire brick around the opening

I bought a 1537g about 3 years ago. this summer I replaced the two pices of steel in the top of the fire box that I think you are talking about. They were real thin I put back ones that are about 1/2 inch thick. I really helped put out more heat.

I am not sure the difference in the 1537 & 1537g but I am not happy with the one I bought. the damper in crap I had to put one in the smoke pipe.I have broke 2 shaker grates. I really wise I had went with the next model up.

I'm going to line the top with firebrick then make a damper slide to close off the extra large opening where they 2 steel plate don't meet the front wall. I'm hoping that being able to regulate the smoke in the firebox i'll be able to slow down the burn and create more heat. Wishful thinking. After making the Glass door for mine. I think anythng is possible. 1537 and 1557 are the same design.

Back