US Stoves Hotblast 1557. Help Information.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Hot Blast a year ago. My Fiance installed it and well now he left so I am trying to figure it out on my own. I keep getting smoke through the loading door vent after i fill and cut back the dampner. Am I doing something wrong? I just had the chimney sweeped. Please any help would be appreciated. It is a Hot Blast 1557 M.

maybe you're shutting the damper too much?

I got my Hot Blast a year ago. My Fiance installed it and well now he left so I am trying to figure it out on my own. I keep getting smoke through the loading door vent after i fill and cut back the dampner. Am I doing something wrong? I just had the chimney sweeped. Please any help would be appreciated. It is a Hot Blast 1557 M.

is your damper in your stovepipe? If it is, you dont really need it. I have one and never use it. I leave it wide open all the time. Start your fire, run it up about 3/4 of the way into the burn zone according to your stove pipe thermometer. This will warm your chimney and provide a good draft. Then simply close your air spinner on your ash door all the way down then open it 1 to 1 3/4 turns.
When you go to refill your furnace, open the ash door 1st, wait atleast 1 minute... then open the main door to put wood in. By doing it this way you wont get any smoke spillage.

You are doing everything right, that is just how the Hotblast works, poorly. Unless you have a pretty tall chimney with no tall obstructions nearby to create down drafts, the Hotblast will smoke from the loading door vent. I bolted and sealed a metal plate over mine to stop the smoking, nothing else worked. A chimney cap can help reduce down drafts, but it doesn't eliminate them entirely, a taller chimney helps, but mine still smoked. I would suggest as a quick fix to get through the winter, to stuff fiber glass insulation in the vent from inside the door. This will hopefully act as a gasket and stop the smoking.

Also put a stove pipe magnetic thermometer on the furnace front above the loading door, that way you can check on the fire without opening the loading door. Looking at the fire light in the ash drawer is also helpful. You should size the amount of wood for how much heat you need, light the fire and close the loading door, leaving the ash door open until the thermometer reads 400 or more and then close the ash door with the spin damper open all the way. Once the house temperature is close to where you want it, spin the damper close and back off a turn or two to keep your chimney hot, unless you enjoy sweeping. With time, you will learn how many turns to open the spin damper for a given outside temperature to maintain a nice temperature in the house. The whole trick is load, light, and close the loading door and keep it closed until you need to add more wood as shown by a dropping temperature in the house or the thermometer on the furnace front showing a falling temperature of less than 400 degrees. At that point the fire will be down to hot coals and will be giving off very little smoke, have the wood ready, open the door and check the fire and if really needed toss in the wood and close the door again before the new wood starts to smoke.

Back