used cl 6048

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme_56353

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi everyone,
been reading on forum for awhile now and have a question
live in an old 2 story farm house 1500 sq roughly with 1/2 new and 1/2 older windows and fair insulation,
have a 1 car garage but will sometime make into a 3 car.

my question is i am thinking of buying a new cl 5036 in the next month
but heard from a freind that there father in law has a cl 6048 he bought new from state fair a few years ago but never installed "has alot of money" not sure of the year yet but it has 2 switches on the side of the unit and not the big door that i see on the side of the new ones, trying to attach pics of it

View attachment 127112

View attachment 127113

View attachment 127114

i think i might be able to talk him into 2000 but not sure

would i be better off with new 5036 or the 6048 if i can get a good price?
and what whould be a good price?
longer burn time whould be nice thanks for your advice :cheers:

randy

2k is a steal if yo don;t want it I'll take it. I just bought a CL40 for around that. It is the older model but it roughly the same size.

Scott

sweet deal for 2k. 6048 may be too much stove for 1500 sq foot. If you have free wood and plan to expand you can't go wrong for that price. Maybe you can heat your neibours house too !

I have the cl 40 bought last year.It is the same gallon's as the 6048.
BUY it now , you will not be disappointed with it.Once you get the
heat up I do not think it will use as much wood and have extra heat
reserves.

thanks everyone for your expert advice
we have saved 2 years to buy the new 5036 'MY NEIGHBOR HAS ONE FOR 2 YEARS AND LOVES IT" but then i heard of the used 6048 from my freind,

my wife and i carpool to work about 65 miles each way so we are gone about 14 hours, heating a 100 year old farm house and also heating our hw i'm not sure if we can get 14 hours between fills with the 5036 even burning red oak,

even with all my reading on this forum it's hard to decide which is the right choice old stove never used or new stove?
not sure what the tech was on the 6048 around 2004-2005 hard to find people that has this older 6048 for advice or pics "again not sure of exact year of stove yet" just know its never been used,

some say bigger firebox more time between fills use same amount of wood others say it will use more wood and smolder and smoke alot more

while we were saving for the stove 2 years ago i bought 10 cords delivered in log length of red oak for 900 that i have cut and stacked,
also have been watching for free wood "minus gas from hauling" and have scounged about another years worth

its amazing that i see so many down trees on our drive to and from work on peoples property
but when you talk to them they whould rather let all of it just rot on the ground rather then giving it away to someone that will use it for heat and not for selling :cry:

:cheers:
justme

Last edited:
Just because the fire box is bigger, doesnt mean you have to fill it up. I have a woodmaster 5500 and my neighbor has a CB 50 series. I was taking care of their fire while they were on vacation and really noticed the small fire box. I had to pack the thing to get a good burn time. I think in the end, I was using the same amount of wood in his as in mine, which meant mine was only about 1/3 full. He watched my fire one time as well and commented on the larger fire box.
2 grand is a great price, id jump on it. Especially since it wasnt used.

Go for the 6048. For that price you cant go wrong. My brother in law bought a used 6048 about the same year as that one and heats his old farm house about the same size you are talking about and he loves it.

Last edited:
its amazing that i see so many down trees on our drive to and from work on peoples property
but when you talk to them they whould rather let all of it just rot on the ground rather then giving it away to someone that will use it for heat and not for selling

Liability. Too many land owners have been burnt by letting people on their property or have heard horror stories... when I was a kid you could go up to any farmer/landowner and get permission to hunt or fish. Not too many will let you nowadays.

i guess i never thought of the liability side of not giving away your wood

if you think the 6048 is the better way to go what would be your top offer for it?

justme

If you think you could get it for $2K, get it there, but if you had to spend a bit more, you'd still be getting a good deal!

Back