Used Husqvarna XPs - what are they worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwinzlo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I’ve been familiarizing myself with Aboristsite and decided to join. I am a homeowner/farmer that was looking for a good saw and ended up buying 40 xp saws from a fire company. They range from 362, 372, 390, 576, and the fire rescue ventrac models. They are all in good condition but obviously can’t keep 40 saws, was thinking of keeping a variation of about 10. They have carbide chains and some have the bar guards. My question is, what are these saws worth in good running condition an what are they worth not running? Will need to move them soon, and any information is appreciated. Thanks!

40 saws? holy sh1t. Those are well loved chainsaws, i don't think you'll have any problem getting em sold.

If you wanna get fair $$ i'd sell em on auktion, 1 by one.

40 XP's in good condition?
Some of the best saws I've run, period but curious how you rounded that many up.....fire company ? Is that fire dept ?

One method of determining value is to look at "completed sales" auctions on ebay. Be aware that some of those don't truly complete, but you can get a sense of average value by looking at a bunch.

Saws tend to bring a little more $ from Sept. thru March, but that's not ironclad. One sale or another may draw crazy money no matter the time of year, especially for a minty-looking saw.

Condition means everything. Invest in a good compression gauge so you can show the compression of a saw, and you're way ahead of the "don't-know-too-much-about-it" crowd.

As a volunteer firefighter, I know we have saws that actually see little use, they just ride on trucks. You may have some of those. Clean 'em up, clean/rebuild the carb as needed, especially if they have carried a lot of old fuel, or ethanol fuel. Those little-used saws could be high-$ items.

Think about saws the way you think about used vehicles--how worn the brake and clutch pedals are tells you something at a glance. The amount of scuff and gouges on a saw gives you a hint. But removing the muffler and checking condition of piston and cylinder tells the real story.

Forty XPs--wow.

One method of determining value is to look at "completed sales" auctions on ebay. Be aware that some of those don't truly complete, but you can get a sense of average value by looking at a bunch.

Saws tend to bring a little more $ from Sept. thru March, but that's not ironclad. One sale or another may draw crazy money no matter the time of year, especially for a minty-looking saw.

Condition means everything. Invest in a good compression gauge so you can show the compression of a saw, and you're way ahead of the "don't-know-too-much-about-it" crowd.

As a volunteer firefighter, I know we have saws that actually see little use, they just ride on trucks. You may have some of those. Clean 'em up, clean/rebuild the carb as needed, especially if they have carried a lot of old fuel, or ethanol fuel. Those little-used saws could be high-$ items.

Think about saws the way you think about used vehicles--how worn the brake and clutch pedals are tells you something at a glance. The amount of scuff and gouges on a saw gives you a hint. But removing the muffler and checking condition of piston and cylinder tells the real story.

Forty XPs--wow.

Do you have a compression gauge that you would recommend? I already had this in mind but haven’t had a chance to look.

I'd like to see some in person.

Luckily live 15 minutes from WV line.
Where in WV are you located ?

Make sure and keep a few for yourself with a couple of parts saws... The 362's and 576's aren't as well loved as the 372 and 390 but still great saws.. I'm sure you will be able to make a few bucks and end up with some nice free saws and parts. Shipping kinda sucks especially with the bars. Prob 50-70 bucks each.

They finally came today, I was wrong about there being any 390s but it was just a guess. 80% of the saws are the 372 ventmasters and it looks as if 90% of all these saws are gonna start with gas. Ended up with a few 362xps, a 357 or 359, a few 576xps, some 365s and a 340 lol.

Attachments

• 842B37C4-9384-4E19-9E4C-66FD325EDB7C.jpeg
    842B37C4-9384-4E19-9E4C-66FD325EDB7C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 44
I personally would drain any fuel left in them before trying to start them. Who knows how long it's been in there and it could be bad . Make a new mix then test them. Also, I'm still interested in a couple of them . Message me when you get a chance.

Back