used motor oil for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went through the Stihl MSDS and it stated viscosity was 220 @40’c for its b&c oil. Found this. Crankcase oil is listed as 50wt for viscosity of 220. Doubt that’s the standard and more likely the gear lube of 90wt at 40’c.

i have access to used 90 gear oil from outboard gearboxes. It’s still at the right price and is a bit cleaner. Could use diff oil I suppose but that stinks.

We had a blizzard a few years ago, had 2 big maples come down. One was in front of an elderly neighbors driveway. While we were clearing during the storm I ran out of bar oil. I used what I found in the garage, an old quart of atf mixed with some 75w90. I was running a 3.7 craftsman (Poulan 3700) and it didn’t seem to notice. If anything the atf detergents cleaned the works a bit and kept the oil flowing in sub freezing temps. But I’d never run used motor oil.

Husky manual do for my 365 actually says if no bar oil available, ep80 gear oil is the correct viscosity. I had half a gallon of unused ep80 I'd cleared out my dad's garage so I used it in the saw. I had forgotten how bad that stuff smells!

Latest posts

Back