used motor oil for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mad_mat222

mad_mat222

ArboristSite Member
Went through the Stihl MSDS and it stated viscosity was 220 @40’c for its b&c oil. Found this. Crankcase oil is listed as 50wt for viscosity of 220. Doubt that’s the standard and more likely the gear lube of 90wt at 40’c.

i have access to used 90 gear oil from outboard gearboxes. It’s still at the right price and is a bit cleaner. Could use diff oil I suppose but that stinks.

joe25DA

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
We had a blizzard a few years ago, had 2 big maples come down. One was in front of an elderly neighbors driveway. While we were clearing during the storm I ran out of bar oil. I used what I found in the garage, an old quart of atf mixed with some 75w90. I was running a 3.7 craftsman (Poulan 3700) and it didn’t seem to notice. If anything the atf detergents cleaned the works a bit and kept the oil flowing in sub freezing temps. But I’d never run used motor oil.

LondonNeil

LondonNeil

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Husky manual do for my 365 actually says if no bar oil available, ep80 gear oil is the correct viscosity. I had half a gallon of unused ep80 I'd cleared out my dad's garage so I used it in the saw. I had forgotten how bad that stuff smells!

Latest posts