used motor oil for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starterlogg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
who uses used motor oil for bar oil ,an old cogger I work with filters it with a couple of old sock and is off to the races ,what do you guys think

Never ever do that no matter how many old timers tell you to. Reasons?

You'll burn up your bar and chain sooner.

Bar and chain oil is biodegradable so you're not slinging toxic oil everywhere.

And while we're talking about slinging oil bar and chain oil sticks to your chain better because it has an additive specifically to keep the oil where it belongs - on your bar and chain lubricating it. And used motor oil will absolutely soak your pants.

Other agents in the B&C oil help prevent pitch build-up. I'm sure there are many other reasons if I thought about it, but I think these are enough to convince any reasonable minded person.

And if your oil is too thick to pour out in the winter warm it up next to the stove before you go out and keep it close to the truck's heater vent on the way to your cutting area.

Never use motor oil - used or otherwise - for your chain and bar or fuel mix. Ever. Sorry for the rant. :greenchainsaw:

IT doesnt have the sticky compounds found in bar lube that makes it stick to the chain and bar.. not the same viscosity either.. wouldn't recommend it. Im no expert but ive worked along side a stihl certified mechanic for a lil while.

..................AND, all the metal particulate that was accumulated while the motor wears down probably wont help bar and chain wear. Plus the toxins gained in said breaking down motor ADD to the toxins you are already spreading with good oil. Then the lack of a tackifier to make the oil stick, the oil is too thin to start with, then heats up and thins more. That's IF it doesn't plug up the oiling system, or burn up the oil pump from all the crap that's in the used oil.
So you get less use from the bar and chain, the possibility of burning up the oiling system and polluting the environment........... need we go on?
It's a bad idea that's been beat to death numerous times.

iv made my own with fresh 10w40 and some gear oil to add tack before but i wouldnt use old oil your moving metal shards across your bar and chain at very fast speeds its got to do some grinding damage like sanding or filing would do. on top of that go to lowes its 10 bucks for a gallon it will last u 1 2 maybe three or more years if your not commercial. ive used 1/3 of one in a year so far.

iv made my own with fresh 10w40 and some gear oil to add tack before but i wouldnt use old oil your moving metal shards across your bar and chain at very fast speeds its got to do some grinding damage like sanding or filing would do. on top of that go to lowes its 10 bucks for a gallon it will last u 1 2 maybe three or more years if your not commercial. ive used 1/3 of one in a year so far.
I'm just a firewood cutter and i use 6 gallons a year.TSC has it on sale for 6 bucks.

I'm just a firewood cutter and i use 6 gallons a year.TSC has it on sale for 6 bucks.

Yep.

6 Gallons a MONTH ain't hard if ya find a sweet spot or get into a couple big bastards.

Used motor oil contains heavy metals and plenty of skin absorbed Carcinogens that target internal organs. It's nastier stuff than many banned pesticides.

6 bucks a gallon, versus losing a Kidney,Liver, or taking a dirt nap?
DEAL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Not for me

A friend of mine who is on the commercial side swears by used motor oil for his saws. It does save him a ton of money as he uses a lot. This is not for me though. I buy a case of 4 1-gallon jugs and it lasts me a while. I don't need to be exposed to any components of used motor oil. I agree with you guys.

It does save him a ton of money as he uses a lot.

This is "perceived" savings, but not real savings. He is shortening the life of the saw's oil pump, the bar, and the chain. Because the chain is not properly lubricated, it is probably getting dull faster, and creating more down time for sharpening and replacing. He is wasting time trying to filter the waste oil and putting it in containers.

I think it is penny wise and pound foolish.

He has been doing this for many years and gets all the money he can out of his saws. He does not have any mechanical problems in doing this. I side with you folks in that I do not want used motor oil slung everywhere.

I have to admit I started using bar and chain oil about 10 years ago,I really do not know why,I guess I got snookered like most by the fancy advertising. But 45 years ago when I got my first chain saw I never heard of bar and chain oil. Everyone used 30 weight motor oil,or gear oil and most thinned it in the colder months with kerosene,or lighter oil. Back then the saws were slower then they are now,there was even gear driven saws,bars seemed to last for ever. I still have several old saws that still have the original bars.

When I had my shop,especially in the 70's and 80's,you did not sell to much bar oil. I have seen this argument on here several times. Personally I really could care less what you use. Its your saw do what you want. As far as an environmental impact,I really think that is over stretched. Most bar oils are not bio-degradable. Look at the cost of the ones that are from Bailey's. I have a brand new gallon I am looking at from TSC,no where on it does it say it is biodegradable.

One more thing,I just do not agree that motor oil will tear up your bar,your going to use that bar a long time before it gets tore up,as long as you keep oil on that bar. Like I said I use bar oil,but if a fellow wants to use motor oil,he could save enough on the price of oil over time to buy several bars. Even if you use used motor oil,if you keep your bar lubed it will run a long time. Where did that oil come from? It was lubing an engine that was running for thousands of miles and did not seize up,and would have been good to go for a while longer.

This argument is a lot like the argument that you have to use the chain saw brands engine oil. Do what you want its your saw,try both,if you like bar oil go with it. If motor oil is good for you use that. People's opinions on here are like an itch,everyone's got one.

Here is a link from Bailey's; http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17071

Their biodegradable oil is 19.95 a gallon,(plus shipping)so unless your oil says biodegradable you are slinging out regular oil into the environment. I admit that used motor oil has metals in it. But regular bar oil and new motor oil,are not doing much different then the other. If you really are serious about the environment,then by all means buy that non petroleum oil,for 19.95 a gallon (plus Shipping)

Here is a combo bar and chain from bailey's for a 20 inch saw. link: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=WBC 20 SS50

It sells for $59.95 (plus shipping) so if you use 10 or 20 gallons through your saw of regular motor oil and your bar is still okay,how much did you save?

Okay, as many pointed out standard B&C oil isn't biodegradable. It's still a bad idea to use used motor oil imo.

I find it interesting that as many posters seem interested in debating an oversight on my part as there are convincing this guy that using used motor oil for their bar and chain is a bad idea. The potential cost of damaging your machine should be enough to turn anyone away from the idea.

I prefer using the proper tool for the job instead of stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

Walt you really have to handle the stuff a lot to get cancer from it. Link:http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/9348CHR/9348CHR01_Handling_Used_Motor_Oil.htm

I really think that using used oil in your saw is stretching it to the point of mentioning cancer wards. According to this link lab rats have to be in continuous contact with it.

When I worked in the steel mill or on heavy equipment,I got lots of oil on me. Especially when I had to do repairs in the tub of a dragline. Now I can see how this could cause skin cancer,but even then we wore protective suits and respirators. Because of the confined space. Out in the woods,you are in open air and I am not getting oil on me.Some one who runs a saw 8 to 10 hours or more a day I can see a potential problem. But for the guy that cuts a dozen or less cords a year,I think its a stretch to say you will get cancer from it.

Okay, as many pointed out standard B&C oil isn't biodegradable. It's still a bad idea to use used motor oil imo.

I find it interesting that as many posters seem interested in debating an oversight on my part as there are convincing this guy that using used motor oil for their bar and chain is a bad idea. The potential cost of damaging your machine should be enough to turn anyone away from the idea.

I prefer using the proper tool for the job instead of stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

Prove it,for my chain lube I ran motor oil both used and new in my saws for over 30 years,I never had one incident of a failure from using it. Where is the potential to damage your machine? I can see the possibility of shorter bar life,though I have never noticed it. You believe that Bar and chain oil is for you go for it. If someone wants to run other oil thats what works for him.

That biodegradable oil from Bailey's is really Veggie oil with additives. I have read where lots of folks are veggie oil on their bars.

Here is a good link about using Veggie oil in your saw: http://www.earthenexposure.com/permaculture/chainsaws/vegioils.htm

I have probably well over 100 gallons of used Veggie oil,I may clean it by filtration and try it in one of my older saws. I have never done this,but if anyone here has please post your results.

Latest posts

Back