used motor oil for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You shouldn`t use it at all, it`s bad for the environment.All you learned is that you use it and think it`s ok.Would it void your warranty on a new saw?Is it good for the environment?Should every saw owner in America start using old oil?Or is it just ok for a few hundred thoudsand of you to pollute our forests?Do you know that 1 gallon of used motor oil can cantaminate 1 million gallons of water?Like I said before, there are at least 10 reasons NOT to use it, and only 1 reason to use it..It`s selfish and stupid..

i'll copy and paste to save the scrolling, just for you.

but back to the oil, in any case, it's not recommended for the enviroment

ha, this hsould be locked or removed.

it's quickly turning into a cache hog.....
honstly people, lets save it for the fun threads, wtf pics and giave and take a word...

where's trimmmmed??!?

Why don't someone make a valid comparison. I think we could all agree that friction causes heat. And that bar and chain wear is caused by friction.
So this is an easy one to settle atleast on a wear standpoint. Run a new sharp chain with bar oil cut a predetermined amount of wood and check temp of bar and chain several times throughout cutting to get an average. Do the same with used oil heck cut 2" from the original cuts for a good comparison.
After we solve this we can move on to real problems!
Next question this "new" bar and chain oil you are buying how much of it is virgin stock? I would bet that some if not all of it is recycled oil.
Want to add tack add a pint of STP to each gallon of used and it will stick!

From personal experiance I would put my money on used oil with STP keeping a bar and chain cooler. Don't know why or how but that was my experience of course it was not a side by side test and could have been because of several factors! I did hate the nasty mess of the used oil so I quit using it.

You shouldn`t use it at all, it`s bad for the environment.All you learned is that you use it and think it`s ok.Would it void your warranty on a new saw?Is it good for the environment?Should every saw owner in America start using old oil?Or is it just ok for a few hundred thoudsand of you to pollute our forests?Do you know that 1 gallon of used motor oil can cantaminate 1 million gallons of water?Like I said before, there are at least 10 reasons NOT to use it, and only 1 reason to use it..It`s selfish and stupid..

:dizzy: Really? and regular bar oil doesn't pollute the environment?

:dizzy: Really? and regular bar oil doesn't pollute the environment?

ha, that's what my point was, they do recycle used motor oil, and by recycle i mean by not burning it with waste oil burners, that puts all these nasty chemicals in the air that no one wants in their back yard....

and my previous post about what we learned, was the fact i've never ruined a bar or chain from used motor oil. like i said, i know i've done 20 cord last year; that i stacked and used a tape measure; with the same bar and chain, and i didn't even keep track of the year before, and i've had the same bar/chain for 3 years!!! don't get me wrong, the teeth don't have much meat left to sharpen, but it still slides down the bar and cuts like it should. also using the same sprocket. i can't for the life of me, over heat a bar or chain by any means possible by using dirty motor oil that has 'bad lubricating properties'.

if you need the ULTIMATE lubricating oil, then go buy cutting oil for CNC and mills. that's engineered for high speed precision zero wear on ultra hard bits while cutting material. I"m sure nothing will beat it when it comes to steel cutting wood

and for the record, all oil is bad for the environment, the DNR will give you a fine if your caught dumping used olive oil for frying a turkey.....my buddy has the ticket to prove it.

You shouldn`t use it at all, it`s bad for the environment

What am I missing on this whole bad for the environment thing so many keep posting?

Your burning fire wood to save a few dollars. Burning wood, a fossil fuel is bad for the environment you know. so all that dribble is horse hocky as Henery kept saying.

Use the oil you wish. those quick change places and auto parts stores that take your used oil are selling it. They clean it and make bar oil with it. The frieght line I worked for paid 30 cents a gallon to have theirs refined to use in the Cummins again.

:D Al

You shouldn`t use it at all, it`s bad for the environment

What am I missing on this whole bad for the environment thing so many keep posting?

Your burning fire wood to save a few dollars. Burning wood, a fossil fuel is bad for the environment you know. so all that dribble is horse hocky as Henery kept saying....

:D Al

First - wood is not a fossil fuel.

From Wikipedia: "Fossil fuels are fuels formed by natural resources such as anaerobic decomposition of buried dead organisms. The age of the organisms and their resulting fossil fuels is typically millions of years, and sometimes exceeds 650 million years"

AND - burning wood is GOOD for the environment - compared to burning fossil fuels. Burning fossil fuels releases its carbon into the atmosphere - the main cause of global warming.

Wood is a renewable energy source - it has recently taken the carbon that's in it out of the atmosphere ( as CO2), so there is no net addition of carbon to the air from burning wood. If you didn't burn it, it would just decompose and return its carbon to the air anyway.

Phil

I think the whole bad for enviroment idea is rediculous IMHO. How do they deal with oil contaminated soil? They spread it out in thin layers and let the natural enviroment break it down! Yes it is hazardous material and it does cost large sums of cash to dispose of but when it gets to Rumpke they spread it out and let the enviroment take care of it. So me spreading around 2 gallons a week of new or used oil isn't going to make any difference because the enviroment will take care of it.

Before someone reads to far into the above I am not advocating pouring everyones used oil in the ground. I am simply saying that a chainsaw does spread it out pretty thin. It isn't even enough to kill the weeds where I cut!

The global warming thing is pure crap and the real science is starting to come out to prove it. Global warming fear is designed to make powerful people even more powerful by controlling the world's resources. Global warming is caused primarily by changes in the sun.

Owl Gore's pocket book is growing quickly because of global warming and he does not even practice what he preaches.

The amount of used oil thrown into the environment by saws is so small that it is as rediculous to even talk about it as it is to run it in saws to start with.

The global warming thing is pure crap and the real science is starting to come out to prove it. Global warming fear is designed to make powerful people even more powerful by controlling the world's resources. Global warming is caused primarily by changes in the sun.

Owl Gore's pocket book is growing quickly because of global warming and he does not even practice what he preaches.

The amount of used oil thrown into the environment by saws is so small that it is as rediculous to even talk about it as it is to run it in saws to start with.
:agree2:
Do you know that 1 gallon of used motor oil can cantaminate 1 million gallons of water?
Really? Where did you find that piece of fiction? Everyone knows that oil floats on the surface of water, oil and water don't mix. I had a timing chain wear a hole in the water jacket of a Toyota once. When I checked the oil the dipstick looked like chocolate milk. I was busy with other things so I parked the truck for a week before I went back to work on it. When I pulled the drain plug I got out water first followed by oil. Just sitting for a while the oil and water separated on their own.
I am simply saying that a chainsaw does spread it out pretty thin. It isn't even enough to kill the weeds where I cut!
This has been my experience as well. Everybody that is acting like used oil will bring about the end of the world keeps throwing out words like cancer, global warming, etc... in other words scare tactics with little to no evidence to back up those claims. Now I can see you not wanting to void you warranty, or just using bar oil case it is tackier, or even using canola oil cause you can drink it so it must be safer, but quit acting like it is the end of the world if you might reduce the chain, bar, or pump life of your saw by some small unproven margin in an attempt to save $6-12 per gallon on bar oil.

Last edited:
farmers used to spray oil on there dirt roads to keep dust down, what do you think a primary ingrediant is in asphalt. the environment can break down oil within reason. dumping a oil change down the drain is NOT realistic but i have never seen or heard of the oil from a running chainsaw causing a problem.

if it was a problem the EPA would be all over it.

The person most exposed to the carcinogens in used motor oil being used for bar oil is the chain saw operator. Makes me smile.
I'm still waiting for someone to show me a case of fingernail cancer from the buildup of old oil under their mechanics fingernails. Until then I will stand by my conclusion that the only thing ever proven to cause cancer in lab rats is research. I had a college professor who's favorite saying was "Figures don't lie but liars can figure." Maybe I should re-post my post about how research is funded. Maybe if someone who has never smoked, or been in a restaurant where people have smoked, or had a sunburn, or lived in a house with radon, suddenly came down with cancer from changing their own oil, I might be convinced of the hazards of dirty oil. I'm not saying that oil is good for you, only that screaming cancer is kinda like the boy who cried wolf. I'm also not saying that anyone has to use used motor oil in their saw or that no harm can come from it. I am only saying that many people have and have never reported problems.

It is important is that people avoid known hazards when they can and used motor oil is a known hazard.

I don't disagree with that. I'm only pointing out that the amount of oil that I am exposed to while running a chainsaw is very little compared to the amount of oil that runs up to my armpit when I unscrew the oil filter on my wife's Jeep. I am much more worried about hurting myself with a chainsaw's chain as in cutting a leg or arm off than a little oil getting on me. We wear chainsaw chap, safety glasses, hearing protection, and hard hats to protect us while running a chainsaw, so if you want to run canola oil because you feel it is safer go right ahead. I just think it is stupid to think that running used oil on my chain is going to give me cancer. I certainly don't lay awake at night worrying about the high probability that one of the 90%+ of people that cant drive will run me off the road and kill me, so why would I worry about the tiny chance that I might expose myself to a hazard during the small amount of time spent cutting wood.

Nothing like a good ad-hominem argument. I'd be very interested in seeing the info gathered by the "real science" but not from the hands of big-oil shills.
Meanwhile, do check out what's been going on with glaciers on Greenland and Antarctica and in the Alps. Among others. Check out June 2010 Nat. Geog. Data collected for many decades on Mauna Loa clearly shows long-term changes in atmospheric composition.
A reasonable person might conclude that global climate change is happening; no matter, we need cool-headed reason rather than rancor. ;)

Nothing like a good ad-hominem argument. I'd be very interested in seeing the info gathered by the "real science" but not from the hands of big-oil shills.
Meanwhile, do check out what's been going on with glaciers on Greenland and Antarctica and in the Alps. Among others. Check out June 2010 Nat. Geog. Data collected for many decades on Mauna Loa clearly shows long-term changes in atmospheric composition.
A reasonable person might conclude that global climate change is happening; no matter, we need cool-headed reason rather than rancor. ;)
I give you credit for having a big vocabulary. I had to look up what ad-hominen means. But you must remember that Al Gore is the face of global warming. To attack global warming it to attack Al Gore and the same for attacking Al Gore. Most of the evidence of global warming is just as full of lies, half truths, and photo shop editing as his movie. Every time that someone shows new evidence of the lies the left has to discredit, use their own ad-hominem argument, or just simply ignore the facts and push forward. The evidence now shows that the average global temperature has not increased in 10 year. So now the left changes the wording to climate change. So what about the warming that Al Gore was warning us about? I guess we have to worry about it since it is not happening. Lets just change what we call it so no one will notice the big fraud we've been selling. The simplest way to disprove global warming and all the lies being told to get us to change our way of life is to look to the past. I know my car didn't cause the last ice age, nor my chainsaw, nor jet engine or any other carbon footprint myth, because none of those things were around. And why did the ice melt to end the ice age? Was it because the cavemen didn't have catalytic converters on their cars? Must have been all the used motor oil they used on their chains. The truth is the weather changes, the planet goes through cycles and there isn't anything you or I can do about it. And as far as Al Gore is concerned, if he was really worried about the environment he would at least be doing the things that he wants us to do to save the planet, not jumping on a jet and flying all over the planet giving speeches about how we should all cut back and not live like he does.

+1. That says it all. 'nuff said. Thanks for the post, Hoop.

Looks like some men still can't wait to kill their saws, one way or the other, and then save the environment by "recycling" crankcase oil. I'm not sure whether I sould laugh or cry. :bang:

Last edited:
Cytank,

I am not saying the climate is not changing. It is-NATURALLY! Climate always changes and we can not do anything about it.

You obviously drank the Obama coolaid if you believe that it is all man-made.

Even one of the UN people admitted that documents were altered when they started to release the info on global warming. It is a hoax to relieve all gullible coolaid drinkers of their hard-earned money.

To all the people complaining about the cancer issue...I get more used oil on me changing the oil on my truck then I do cutting. I don't know about you, but I cut in long pants/chaps, long sleeved shirt. I wear gloves, glasses and a hat...and sometimes a bandanna over my mouth. There isn't that much exposed skin for it the get on! And, it's usually being slung away from the user...and if it's not, you may have other issues!!

Just being devils advocate and argumentative.

Dermal absorption is not the only source of exposure. After the chain reaches a certain RPM, misting begins. At this point, the user will be taking in all these known and unknown contaminants via inhalation.

Unlike getting oil spilled on you, misting is not something that can easily be seen. It also goes to reason that the less viscous the oil is, the more misting there'll be...and the more the user will be exposed to.

Back