Used MS 260 Pricing/Guidance Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My first post, but I've been lurking here for a while researching chainsaws.
I've been looking for a chainsaw to replace the 3 POS box store saws that I've purchased over the last few years. A friend of mine is selling an MS260 (Serial #266939892), and told me he would take $150 for it. The saw has been well used and needs a good cleaning but runs well. He has a 20" bar on it, and I would replace it with a 16 or 18 if I buy it.
I'll post pictures here this evening when I get home. I'm confident that $150 is a good deal, but I am admittedly mechanically challenged (retarded may be a better word). For instance I know I should compression test the saw, but I don't have the first clue how to go about that. Anyway, I'm willing to learn and wouldn't mind having to do some repair/improvement to the saw, but I don't want to get in over my head.
To get to the point- should I invest my little $150 in this saw?

Edited to say that my intentions for the saw are firewood cutting and storm cleanup.

Last edited:
Do the "lift test" for compression. If you can pick up the saw by the starter handle, and have it bump slowly down (3-4 sec per piston stroke,) then you're probably good. If the rope comes out fairly easily, with no distinct stops on its way down, then you might want to look into the compression a little further. For $150 you can put a new piston in it, and still not have overspent. I would go get it before someone on here figures out who this guy is, and gets it first.

That's a good price.

Take a t-27 torx and pull the muffler to have a look at the piston/cylinder

Will do. Thank you.

Do the "lift test" for compression. If you can pick up the saw by the starter handle, and have it bump slowly down (3-4 sec per piston stroke,) then you're probably good. If the rope comes out fairly easily, with no distinct stops on its way down, then you might want to look into the compression a little further. For $150 you can put a new piston in it, and still not have overspent. I would go get it before someone on here figures out who this guy is, and gets it first.

Thanks! I've actually got it in my possession, he'll probably get his money tomorrow so I should be safe.

Here are a few pics...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I pulled the muffler and now I know why I really need a shop. It got dark before I could put it back on so I'll have to do it in the morning once I get to work...

I've got a couple more of the bar and stuff if anyone wants to see it. I can see already that this will be a learning process for me. I'll be thrilled to death if I can get the muffler back on tomorrow.:givebeer:

Thanks guys I'm pretty happy with it. I'll try and overcome my complete ineptitude tomorrow when I have to get the muffler back on.
Fortunately there's a Stihl dealer right near the office. I was going to buy a Stihl once before, but the previous owner was a complete %#$k. Two years ago I walked in the door with $500 cash and every intention of leaving with a new saw and left with a bad taste in my mouth and $500 cash. He made me feel like an idiot every time I asked a question, maybe that's why he sold the place. Maybe the new owner is a cooler guy.

I'm not ready to sell yet, but I'll keep you in mind!
Is there a way to tell how old the saw is? Guy I'm buying it from inherited it from his dad, and doesn't know when it was purchased.

Any dealer dudes- Will I look like a moron walking in with this saw and asking for a new bar and chain? I'm used to walking into a box store to buy a whole new saw, not buying parts.

Thanks guys I'm pretty happy with it. I'll try and overcome my complete ineptitude tomorrow when I have to get the muffler back on.
Fortunately there's a Stihl dealer right near the office. I was going to buy a Stihl once before, but the previous owner was a complete %#$k. Two years ago I walked in the door with $500 cash and every intention of leaving with a new saw and left with a bad taste in my mouth and $500 cash. He made me feel like an idiot every time I asked a question, maybe that's why he sold the place. Maybe the new owner is a cooler guy.

Well the best advice I can give you is get some Stihl Ultra, mix it 50:1 with premium gas, keep the chain sharp, air filter clean, don't blip the throttle and cut some wood. (Sound Familiar :givebeer:) Oh yeah, don't let your gas sit around, best to mix and use it right when you get it. Congrats on the saw, I would be happy with that for what you paid.

Any dealer dudes- Will I look like a moron walking in with this saw and asking for a new bar and chain? I'm used to walking into a box store to buy a whole new saw, not buying parts.

Not a dealer dude, but look at the rim/ sprocket and if it's worn then replace, if not figure out whether it's .325 or 3/8 and get a bar that's the same pitch. Then get a chain or 3 that are the same pitch as the sprocket and the same gauge as the bar.

Not a dealer dude, but look at the rim/ sprocket and if it's worn then replace, if not figure out whether it's .325 or 3/8 and get a bar that's the same pitch. Then get a chain or 3 that are the same pitch as the sprocket and the same gauge as the bar.

Ok, I'll check on that stuff tomorrow. I'm determined to do as much as I can without having to pay someone, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Is there a way to tell how old the saw is?

They came out in late 2001/early 2002, so that old anyway. Post the serial # and I will have a dealer look it up.

About the bar and chain, as mentioned above, check to see if your sprocket/rim is worn, if so you will want to replace that at the time of your b&c purchase.

I would try a 16" "S" bar in .325 pitch/.063 guage with a yellow RSC chain. The bar part # will be 3003-000-6813, this # is from a old IPL and may have superceeded to a new #. The chain will be 67 drive links and have a full chisel cutter, this is a fast cutting chain used in clean wood. Don't worry about the green bar/yellow chain, they will work as long as the pitch and guage matches, the green bar's nose is different to help with kickback. If that is too much:dizzy: and your dealer is good, he will set you up with the right stuff.

Last edited:
Wow that's lots of good information, thank you sir! I'll print it out so it shouldn't be too much to deal with. The serial # is 266939892.

They came out in late 2001/early 2002, so that old anyway. Post the serial # and I will have a dealer look it up.

About the bar and chain, as mentioned above, check to see if your sprocket/rim is worn, if so you will want to replace that at the time of your b&c purchase.

I would try a 16" "S" bar in .325 pitch/.063 guage with a yellow RSC chain. The bar part # will be 3003-000-6813, this # is from a old IPL and may have superceeded to a new #. The chain will be 67 drive links and have a full chisel cutter, this is a fast cutting chain used in clean wood. Don't worry about the green bar/yellow chain, they will work as long as the pitch and guage matches, the green bar's nose is different to help with kickback. If that is too much:dizzy: and your dealer is good, he will set you up with the right stuff.

I didn't have a chance to try and put the muffler back on today, going to work on that tomorrow.

2000, did you have a chance to check on that serial number?

I didn't have a chance to try and put the muffler back on today, going to work on that tomorrow.

2000, did you have a chance to check on that serial number?

I had the same question as you when I bought my used MS260. I called the Stihl tech line listed on stihl.com. A helpful tech was happy to let me know that my saw was built in late '03 or early '04. The first 3 digits of my s/n are 253. Your saw must 2005 or later. You got a great deal.

I had the same question as you when I bought my used MS260. I called the Stihl tech line listed on stihl.com. A helpful tech was happy to let me know that my saw was built in late '03 or early '04. The first 3 digits of my s/n are 253. Your saw must 2005 or later. You got a great deal.

I hadn't thought of trying that, I'll probably have to call them when I attempt to get my muffler put back on. I gave my buddy his money today...

Latest posts

Back