Used my Sachs-Dolmar 111 today... wow!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_Shaft

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well,

After buying this saw ages ago in roughed-up condition I finally got around to trying it out for real today by cutting a truckload of 15-20" spruce and fir.
I had my trusty MS170 Stihl along in case I got tired or if the Dolmar wasn't quite the saw it is made out to be.

Needless to say, I was very impressed with how the old and tired 111 was able to hold rpm while cutting, even when I leaned fairly hard on the dogs. What a great saw, I'm so glad that I tried one.

I will now be looking hard to find a good used Makita DCS6401. I want to try one of their bubble saws now instead of the Stihl MS361 that I was going to buy.

Will the 6401 impress me as well? Any input from other owners?

I have a 361. Got to use a 6401 the other weekend.

NOW, my 361 is newer than the 6401 I used, and the 6401 was a HD rental saw in its previous life.

I felt like the 361 had a slight edge on the 6401. It could have been a number of things, such as chain sharpness. All of my chains are hand filed, and the chain on the Makita was sharpened on a grinder.

As for smoothness, they both felt great there.

If you have the dealer and parts availbilty for Dolmar/Makita, cost wise it makes more sense over the 361.

There is a good Stihl dealership here that I deal with all the time and they are awesome people. I already have 4 Stihl's, I just want to try out something else for a change to keep myself from being biased; I do all my own work too, so I'm wanting to have a look at another brand for my own good as well.

Lots of great points here about the dealer support being important, I'm glad to see that everybody feels so strongly about that.

Makes sense wanting a differnet brand so you arent biased.

Keep in mind, a new brand equals all new bars, and new chains since most same length bars between the brands take different number of drivers. Thats what keeps me from buying a different brand. I already have quite a bit of $$$ tied up in bars and chains. Adding Husky, or Dolmar to the stable means Id have to add new bar and chains.

CaseyForrest said:

Keep in mind, a new brand equals all new bars, and new chains since most same length bars between the brands take different number of drivers. Thats what keeps me from buying a different brand. I already have quite a bit of $$$ tied up in bars and chains. Adding Husky, or Dolmar to the stable means Id have to add new bar and chains.
Dolmar uses the large Husky mount bar, so you really wouldn't need too many new bars if you went with a 362XP or larger saw on the Husky side.:cheers:

Urbicide said:
Dolmar uses the large Husky mount bar, so you really wouldn't need too many new bars if you went with a 362XP or larger saw on the Husky side.:cheers:

Yes and no... The 109, 110, 111, 115, 540, 520 and 5100 use the small husky mount (A095/K095 mount) and the larger Dolmars starting at the 6400 use the D009 mount that the large huskies use.

If you are impressed with the 111, you would be very happy with the 110 or 115 if you can find them. The 111 and 115 share the same bore and stroke, but the 115 has a closed port cylinder and makes more power. I would compare it to a 346xp. Then, try a 5100. I really liked my 115 until I tried that 5100.

There is a lot of power trapped in that 111 muffler. If you unbolt the outlet scoop and remove the flap of metal behind it, it will breath much better and still not be too loud.

The 6401 isn't a bad saw, but I like the 7900 so much better!

Dolmar 111

Nice little 52cc saw. Strong running and has torque. Here is mine in blue.

Makita DCS 520i
attachment.php

CaseyForrest said:

In the case of the large frame (bubble saws) there is an adapter available to mount Stihl Bars on the Dolmar saws. I have my demo set up with a Stihl ES bar to show potential customers that they can still use their Stihl bars and chains, Husky stuff bolts right on with no adapter.

sedanman said:
In the case of the large frame (bubble saws) there is an adapter available to mount Stihl Bars on the Dolmar saws. I have my demo set up with a Stihl ES bar to show potential customers that they can still use their Stihl bars and chains, Husky stuff bolts right on with no adapter.

Ive heard about those. I, for one, dont like "adaptors." Just me though.

sedanman said:

Nice. Do you have any info on this adaptor?

As was said, I have a ton of Stihl bars and chains, would love to have a way to make them work on the Dolmar 6401 if possible. Do you have a link to a pic? Perhaps I could buy direct from you if it's not too pricey?

Freakingstang said:
Yes and no... The 109, 110, 111, 115, 540, 520 and 5100 use the small husky mount (A095/K095 mount) and the larger Dolmars starting at the 6400 use the D009 mount that the large huskies use.

If you are impressed with the 111, you would be very happy with the 110 or 115 if you can find them. The 111 and 115 share the same bore and stroke, but the 115 has a closed port cylinder and makes more power. I would compare it to a 346xp. Then, try a 5100. I really liked my 115 until I tried that 5100.

There is a lot of power trapped in that 111 muffler. If you unbolt the outlet scoop and remove the flap of metal behind it, it will breath much better and still not be too loud.

The 6401 isn't a bad saw, but I like the 7900 so much better!

Thanks for the info on the 111's restricted muffler, I already opened up my MS260 and found significant gains so perhaps doing the same to the 111 is soon to be in order.

There are absolutely no Dolmars in my area, I had to even buy the 111 online and have it shipped here. Although the 115 and 5100 sound like nice saws, I want something a little bigger for the dry spruce and fir I'm planning to cut this winter. If I really like the 6401 and find I'm hunting for more power, I'll definitely upgrade to a 7900. To be honest, from what I've seen even from my little 111, I'm sure the 6401 will put my current saws to shame.

I will still have to put her up head-to-head with a 361 to know for sure which is better though.... !

Ask and you shall recieve.....

attachment.php

The adapters, made by a local machinist, looks similar to this one. This one is to mount a Stihl bar on bigger husky mount (D009 mount). Both the Dolamr and husky adapters bolt to the saw, so there is no slop and abnormal wear.

Other adapters I have seen are made of springs or tube spacers and are kinda PITA to use and keep everything tight. These adapters are top notch!

A.jpg

Freakingstang said:
Ask and you shall recieve.....

The adapters, made by a local machinist, looks similar to this one. This one is to mount a Stihl bar on bigger husky mount (D009 mount). Both the Dolamr and husky adapters bolt to the saw, so there is no slop and abnormal wear.

Other adapters I have seen are made of springs or tube spacers and are kinda PITA to use and keep everything tight. These adapters are top notch!

Freak how much for that adapter...Do the bar oiler holes line up?

Freak. You got a good product there. I'd like to pick up a few...say a dozen for the boys who don't want to change bars when they buy there new Dolmar to replace their Stihl.

DOLMARatOs said:
Freak. You got a good product there. I'd like to pick up a few...say a dozen for the boys who don't want to change bars when they buy there new Dolmar to replace their Stihl.

Careful....that kind of talk will get me in trouble b/c I'm not a sponsor.... Let me talk to my buddy and see what we can come up with. Seems we might have a nice little product to market, eh? lol.

****NOTE FOR THE MODS, I am not selling these.....yet. lol

Back