Used stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullseye13

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for all the good information, i found an 044 local, not sure what shape its in yet, he wants $125 for it, and it has a 36in bar. He says it runs good, but a little hard starting sometimes. I'm pretty handy with saws and i have done a lot of work to many, and i think i can work out the hard starting part. Do you guys think its a good deal? Isn't a 36in bar a little much for that saw, being that i'm cutting big oaks i'm a little concerned, i don't want to overwork it too badly. Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the good information, i found an 044 local, not sure what shape its in yet, he wants $125 for it, and it has a 36in bar. He says it runs good, but a little hard starting sometimes. I'm pretty handy with saws and i have done a lot of work to many, and i think i can work out the hard starting part. Do you guys think its a good deal? Isn't a 36in bar a little much for that saw, being that i'm cutting big oaks i'm a little concerned, i don't want to overwork it too badly. Thanks in advance.

IMHO 125 with that bar & chain is fair even if it needs a p/c as long as it is all there, plastic is intact, and oiler/chainbrake works,,,That is a bit large on the bar but if its decent you can always trade for a 20 or 24 inFACT I'm looking for a 36 and have a 20" ill trade,,, Good luck

BTW if you are going to be cutting big oaks all thje time you might consider a larger saw,IE 460, 660, or 385, 395, it will work with the long bar if you run semi skip or full skip,,,,

Last edited:
Assuming the bottom end (crank and rod bearings) are okay and the case and tank aren't cracked, yes that is a good deal. You can get a piston and cylinder kit from Baileys for $130 and still make money on the deal if you were to sell it on eBay. There are plenty of experts on here that will tell you what exactly to look for, but so far sounds like a great deal to me!
Brad

Back