Used Stihl MS361 Value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scandy14

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm looking at a used MS361. The guy says it has 15-20 hours on it. Given the saw is in good to great condition cosmetically, and there are no issues with the piston/cylinder, what should I expect to pay? The saw has a 20" bar and chain.

Well, I'll toss out $400 to 500, assuming it is perfect for having 20 hr. on it and that they go new here with 20" for just over $610 though the price increase was supposed to be Jan. 1 for this region and I haven't checked since then....

I'd probably be willing to give $450 if I knew the seller and knew him or her to be someone who treats a saw like I do. Otherwise, lower end of range above or I'd go the extra bucks to get a brand new one. If they want too close to brand new price, then heck, go with a new one.

Edit: you posted again while I was typing this, and $350 is, in my opinion, a very good price if the saw is in good shape. A saw with 20 hr. on it is almost new if it's been treated right. It is approaching a basket case if it hasn't. But a decent 361 for $350 would be in my hands immediately.

Last edited:
SNIP
I'd probably be willing to give $450 if I knew the seller and knew him or her to be someone who treats a saw like I do. Otherwise, lower end of range above or I'd go the extra bucks to get a brand new one. If they want too close to brand new price, then heck, go with a new one.

Edit: you posted again while I was typing this, and $350 is, in my opinion, a very good price if the saw is in good shape. A saw with 20 hr. on it is almost new if it's been treated right. It is approaching a basket case if it hasn't. But a decent 361 for $350 would be in my hands immediately.

I agree, paying almost new price for an almost new saw is a little dangerous. If something does go wrong you've got no warranty and it doesn't take much fixing before you've spent more than a new one. If I can't afford an extra $100 for brand new, I'm better off finding a more-used but well cared-for saw for 50% of new, or less. But $350 for a $600 saw with such little use is a green light all the way.

Jack

Whoah. Goes to show you dont trust what the seller says without pics. There isnt even a brake handle on it! 15 hrs my a$$.

I would offer 150$ tops...expecting a piston kit minimum...plus the brake handle that is missing/broken. Thats after I saw it in person and verified everything else was legit.

Back