Uses for saw dust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Evening, I have been collecting the different types of saw dust created from cutting up boughs (pine, cherry, sycamore and beech) in my barn.
Other than for the smoker any other uses ?
I have a closed fire box 11kw Scandinavian wood burner and think it would be too messy using it there.

S

Evening, I have been collecting the different types of saw dust created from cutting up boughs (pine, cherry, sycamore and beech) in my barn.
I have a closed fire box 11kw Scandinavian wood burner and think it would be too messy using it there.

S

Do you have any farm animals by any chance ? It could be used for bedding.

I put in a layer every time I'm finished with the loader in the barn (cobs work well also):msp_thumbup:

These guys always have good ideas for uses.. The last one on my list is soaking up oil spills in the shop.. Few and rare. They do happen...

All saw chips, noodles and broken bark etc all gets used to fill soft spots or muddy areas, rest of the splintered wood etc the kids gather for fire pits starting

Black walnut sawdust kills poision ivy.
Great natural way to remove it with just a cup or two of walnut dust poured right at the base of the vine.

All other sawdust just tends to get spread around the garden for me.

All saw chips, noodles and broken bark etc all gets used to fill soft spots or muddy areas, rest of the splintered wood etc the kids gather for fire pits starting

I use the noodles in a similar way.

I lay a bed of them down and then stack the pile on top of the noodles.

At least in my thinking this will potentially keep the wood out of the mud.

As far as the dust goes, I think I remember someone on here making some nifty fire starters by using egg cartons, parafin wax(?), and the chips.

Thank you was not sure how well it would break down in the garden so will start using I there.

Have a small pot of it in the workshop for oil spills too.

No animals onsite other than the kids.

Off to search the forum on smoker build threads.

S

I put sawdust down in the isles of my garden. It keeps the weeds and the mud down during the growing season. Then I just till it in and start over the next year. I noodled a bunch of big rounds this year just for the mulch.

Another vote for oil spills in the shop. Floor-dry is expensive and the saftyclean guys want $100 to haul away a 55 gal drum of used floordry, hazardous material don't you know. I just burn the oil soaked saw dust in a old drum. You don't want to do too much welding near by when you have oil soaked saw dust on the floor. Ask me how I know this? LOL

If you also have a table saw etc. save that too it works well for oil and yak (be it person or pet)

Black walnut sawdust kills poision ivy.
Great natural way to remove it with just a cup or two of walnut dust poured right at the base of the vine.

All other sawdust just tends to get spread around the garden for me.

Very interesting, never heard that before. Also sawdust as oil dry, then, oily sawdust as firestarter!

Mac88,

If you have pets and poision ivy then you can water the black walnut chips after a beer or two.:)
Not only will the animals stay away but everyone will as you water LOL

brenndatomu,

Yeah not much will grow with walnut mulch around it.
Kills pretty much anything you put walnut mulch on.
The natural chemical juguline i believe its called leaches for quite a while from cut walnut wood, and the reason walnut has a less than plesant smell when burnt.

Not so good if you have pets around but if you pee on the walnut mulch that stops pets from munching around the mulch and starts to release the chemical right away.

One thing you never see is poision ivy or much of anything other than grass and a few weeds near a walnut tree.

Last edited:

S

makes OK strawberry mulch.

I rake mine up and use it at the end of the Garden season to keep weeds from growing over the winter, here in SE Virginia weeds grow all year round, and since I hate weeding a garden before I plant my maters and corn I like to keep them from growing, plus I can till it in when spring comes.

Back