Using a bent bar.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to use a slightly bent 28" bar? I have one that has a very slight bend. If I lay it on a flat surface. The space is in the middle and is almost enough to get 1.5 credit cards under 2 won't fit. If I roll it over than the gap is on the saw mount side and about 1 credit card thick right on the edge.

Can I run this bar, sorry if this is a dumb question and it may have always been like that. But I'm still new to this CAD.

thats not to bad

sounds like it got pinched good but as long as it doesnt throw the chain and cuts straight it should be fine.

Fix it. Not a bad bend if it is evenly spaced over the 28" bar but will cause early wear and could be annoying to use.

Some of the cheaper bars come with that amount or more bend installed at the factory, they seem to wear quickly even after straightening.

I managed to bend it back to a point about half of what it was. The bend is very slight and you really have to look to see it. It is a very even bend centering at a few inches in front of the middle of the bar.
I think I'm just going to put it back on an get a new back very soon.
It's on my 395xp and I'm not willing to risk this saw.

1 credit card over 28"? Run the damn thing. Chains have more flex in them than that. I don't think you will be throwing anything if your chain is adjusted correctly. Things might wear out a little faster, but you are going to have to replace it anyways right? You will wear out your cutter teeth before your links too.

If it throws a chain and blows a hole in the fuel tank will it have been worth it?

Wow. That's pretty dramatic. I manage to bump chains off all the time when limbing in softwoods. I don't think I've ever thought "wow, I better slow down before I blow a hole in my fuel tank"

New 361-sharp chain, threw chain, hole in tank, back in the truck, next. Never had that happen ever, thrown many chains, got lucky I guess.

Straighten

I think you might be able to get it pounded back straight by a machine shop or something like that... We still get the old sawmill wheels pounded, although it's getting harder to find people that do it... If you cut in the bigger blocks, that'd be where my concern was. You'll know if it starts running on you in the cuts and jams up. This happened to a Stihl bar of mine a while back. Couldn't figure it out for a while...

:cheers: eh?

Let us know your results. I'd say try it. I bet I've got bars I run that are worse than that...

I guess you'll find out when it starts throwing chains.

Give it a shot, not much to lose.

Well it's not gonna throw any chains caus the bar is alittle off true. but if you are good to your rakers it will perform the job allmost flawlessly..

I have run bars that have been thrashed to the point to where the rails are split open trying to eat the chain, Completely haggerd tips that nolonger have a rivet in them..

just as long as the teeth are sharp, the rakers are rite. and the pitch is rite.

Unless it has been seriously bent you should be able to get it down to less than half a credit card. Trying to bend it back by wedging it in gap and then hoiking on it is not the way to go. You need a hefty engineers hammer or a small sledge hammer and a hard flat surface. Place the blade flat on the surface and give it a light blow from about a foot above the bend. Stay at least one inch away from the groove. If nothing happens repeat with a harder blow. I had a Z shaped bend in one of my bars that I managed to straighten this way

Well I have to say I am amazed at the responses. I just pullled a CC and it is .035 so (1.5 x .035) is is 0.0535. Now if someone thinks that 0.0535 deflection over a 28" bar will cause excess chain throw then I suggest they never run a long bar. A 60" bar will have one he'' of a lot more than that and it is dead straight.

Bill

Well I have to say I am amazed at the responses. I just pullled a CC and it is .035 so (1.5 x .035) is is 0.0535. Now if someone thinks that 0.0535 deflection over a 28" bar will cause excess chain throw then I suggest they never run a long bar. A 60" bar will have one he'' of a lot more than that and it is dead straight.

Bill

Exactly what i was thinkin..

Latest posts

Back