Using a chest asender?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In my search for the perfect fit SRT tech for my self, I think Im close but need some advice.
I bought an asender that is normally used on a chest harness. My goal is to use the lest amount of equipment as possible so a chest harness seems over kill.
This is ware I'm at now. I tried to hook the petzl chest asender up to the a carbiner and hook it to my saddle. No good, to much slack when I footlock. I used a rubber bungee off the truck, put it around my neck and used it to pull out the slack from the asender hooked to my belt(I have a Prussic above it) and it worked pretty good except for having a rubber bungee from the truck wrapped around my neck.ha
How do others do this(if they do)? Is there a standard method or set-up? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks. Beastmaster

beastmaster,

I use a Croll for the long climbs and I solved the slop problem by getting the suspender style straps Sherrill sells for it. I also get the added benefit of the suspenders holding up the saddle when walking around on the ground. ( It looks like a beer belly, but I don't drink, go figure. )
They can feel very confining at first. It helps to stay as upright as possible when climbing, as doing so doesn't have the straps pulling on your shoulders. If I want to lay back in the saddle for something, I just lift the buckle for extra slack and then pull them tight again when done with that task. The straps and Croll are always on my saddle, but sometimes I just don't thread the climbline in the Croll, I just climb on the hitch.
Rick

Last edited:
beastmaster,

I use a Croll for the long climbs and I solved the slop problem by getting the suspender style straps Sherrill sells for it. I also get the added benefit of the suspenders holding up the saddle when walking around on the ground. ( It looks like a beer belly, but I don't drink, go figure. )
They can feel very confining at first. It helps to stay as upright as possible when climbing, as doing so doesn't have the straps pulling on your shoulders. If I want to lay back in the saddle for something, I just lift the buckle for extra slack and then pull them tight again when done with that task. The straps and Croll are always on my saddle, but sometimes I just don't thread the climbline in the Croll, I just climb on the hitch.
Rick

VA-Sawyer, which suspenders are you using, the Secur?

In my search for the perfect fit SRT tech for my self, I think Im close but need some advice.
I bought an asender that is normally used on a chest harness. My goal is to use the lest amount of equipment as possible so a chest harness seems over kill.
This is ware I'm at now. I tried to hook the petzl chest asender up to the a carbiner and hook it to my saddle. No good, to much slack when I footlock. I used a rubber bungee off the truck, put it around my neck and used it to pull out the slack from the asender hooked to my belt(I have a Prussic above it) and it worked pretty good except for having a rubber bungee from the truck wrapped around my neck.ha
How do others do this(if they do)? Is there a standard method or set-up? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks. Beastmaster

I can not type it, but Robert is the man to ask. Get a hold of him here.
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/people/Robert-W-Phillips/100000023456209

Ask him for the DVD.

The ones Petzl makes for use with the Croll. Quick check onlines shows it is called "Secur". Like I said earlier they can feel confining at first. Now they are permanently attached to the saddle and go over my shoulders on every climb.
Rick

The ones Petzl makes for use with the Croll. Quick check onlines shows it is called "Secur". Like I said earlier they can feel confining at first. Now they are permanently attached to the saddle and go over my shoulders on every climb.
Rick

Yup, that's what I was thinking of. I plan to get that combination this year to use with my Petzl saddle. It's all I like to have a tree frog setup... I've only experimented with SRT but still want to try learn more and add it to my bag of tricks. The vast majority of my climbs are under 60'. I think a good SRT system would serve me well instead of using a Wraptor. I know my wallet likes that idea a lot better.

Chest ascender

A 26 inch bicycle inner tube makes a good chest harness. put one arm thru crossit over your back put in second arm hook front together with a non locking beaner to upper hole on chest acender

The secur I think is just what I've been looking for. Its not to expensive.
I've been using a bungee with a biner on each side(home depot) and wrapping it around my arm. It is only a little better then the rubber bungee around my neck. I have been using SRT more and more.
Even on a short climb of 25 or 30 ft. so long as you use one rope for ascending then switch to your normal climbing line its it fast and effective. I just clip the croll ascender to my belt when I switch to my other climbing line. Because I footlock, the croll and an a prussic are the only extra equipment I have in the tree with me. I don't think wearing a secur would hinder me to much if at all.

I know how effective it is by looking at the faces of my fellow climbers after they have air humped 40ft up. They try to beat me but its killing them.Ha Now their finely braking down and been experimenting with the yo yo method(still 1 to 2).

I did a large date palm a while back using SRT. Once up there I just belayed around it. It did take a while to set the rope, but still one of the easiest date palms I ever did, not using a boom truck. Beastmaster

Here is a good system. As with anything, take the time to set it up and adjust it for your size.

You may be able to use your chest ascender in place of the "sliding" pantin that is attached to his left leg.

[video=youtube;5-_GUggGMmM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-_GUggGMmM&feature=related[/video]

Here are photos of an adjustable bungee I made to hold up a Croll or Microcender depending on the system I'm climbing. Thing I don't like about the Secur is how it forces you into a crunched position.

Bungee for holding up ascender
4536239113_10db60f8b5_z.jpg

Detail of adjuster, clips into back of the harness, Distel and bent coat hanger slack tender
4536872076_91447c8523_z.jpg

At :53 seconds into this video you can see how I install and use it. In the video it's holding up a Microcender but I also use it for a Croll
[video=youtube;ABFbdY-vhOo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABFbdY-vhOo[/video]

At 7:50 into this video I'm using a similar fixed length bungee to hold up a Croll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCtYosiOY5I

-AJ

Last edited:
I love learning new stuff, and I learned a lot from those two videos. I use the same basic system when I use a double rope. But I like the way you used the asender on your foot. I footlock but it is difficult sometimes if your tie in is really close to the tree to footlock up. I think I could easily adapt my croll in those situations using your method.
I like the bungee set-up Moss, that you made. but a light bulb went off when I seen you using your climbing hitch and pully underneath the asender. The times I SRTed using my primary climbing line, it take me for ever to convert back to double rope.
Seemly basic stuff but Tricks and ideas That I overlooked. Thanks for shorting the learning curve guys. Beastmaster

Back