Using a saw in water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millerbjm

Reaction score
I ocasionally do contract work that involves removal of snags and logjams from rivers to allow for navigation. Does anyone have experience or knowledge that may help in reducing the negative impact of cutting in water to my saws? I typically am using Stihl 361 or 260's

Getting the bar and chain wet isn't going to do it any harm, as long as you get it dry before you put the saw away. After getting it wet, make sure you run it for a while so things get warm, drive off the water and oil things up again. If thats not possible I would take the bar and chain off when I got home and dry and oil it manually.

You might want to consider using biodegradable bar oil so the oil slick you leave in the water isn't too toxic. Although some people say that just water will lube the bar well enough if it's partly submerged. Personally I would go with a vege based oil. Then you are are OK sawing normally as well and have an out if you are challenged about creating an oil slick ;)

Obviously keep the powerhead dry, but if you do slip up and drown one the general procedure is to drain the tanks, remove the spark plug, pull it over to get all the water out and get it started again ASAP and run it till it's warm, dry and oily again.

Water shouldn't kill your saws, but leaving them wet will encourage corrosion, bearing damage and general bad things.

Cheers

Ian

Getting the bar and chain wet isn't going to do it any harm, as long as you get it dry before you put the saw away. After getting it wet, make sure you run it for a while so things get warm, drive off the water and oil things up again. If thats not possible I would take the bar and chain off when I got home and dry and oil it manually.

You might want to consider using biodegradable bar oil so the oil slick you leave in the water isn't too toxic. Although some people say that just water will lube the bar well enough if it's partly submerged. Personally I would go with a vege based oil. Then you are are OK sawing normally as well and have an out if you are challenged about creating an oil slick ;)

Obviously keep the powerhead dry, but if you do slip up and drown one the general procedure is to drain the tanks, remove the spark plug, pull it over to get all the water out and get it started again ASAP and run it till it's warm, dry and oily again.

Water shouldn't kill your saws, but leaving them wet will encourage corrosion, bearing damage and general bad things.

Cheers

Ian
perfect answer!

Except you forgot one thing, use a stihl! ;)

Long bar

Using a longer bar than usual keeps the powerhead away from the water,also using the top of the bar to cut as often as possible means the chip/water flow is pushed into the water instead of making a crazy sawdust fountain!

Thanks!

Thanks for the help everyone - especially your comments Ianab - and don't worry kiwilogger, I've always been a Stihl Man!

I Remember reading a post here a few yrs ago that they were using saws to cut ice for ice fishing and they werent using any bar oil.

Thats what I was thinking of DDM, but that would only work if you were in the water ALL the time, like cutting an ice fishing hole.

I'm guessing the OP might be cutting some stuff in the water, some stuff out of it if he's clearing log jams. Hence the advice to use vege oil.

An afterthought, you might want to empty out the vege oil and run some normal stuff through the saw before you put it away for storage. I think the vege oil can go sticky over time and gum up your oiler.

Cheers

Ian

Back