using closed system hitch for removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeweight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
and when got the distel set up on my line to hang from the d ring in wich i just pull sum slack throw the rop snap over crotch attach to d rings the distel is already tied so i just clip it to the rings right beside the rope snap and i was looked at like i was a fawkin weirdo

i like the blakes and all i just feel more sacure with closed hitched ,no slippiing a couple inches

and they thought the 10mm b-line was NOTgonna hold me and they almost told me to leave ,i said if u think ima put more than 2 tons of weight on this line your an idiot,they were like damn that has that much ""test" UHHH YEA
sorry this just amazed me

so am i the only one that uses closed hitches when doing removals or what ,ill use a 5-2/5-3 blakes when i dont feel like setting up the biners etc ,,its just this time grabbed wrong rope bag and just had true blue and a old rope NEOPRO thats to stiff to hold a not very well now so i had to use the closed distel

Didn't quite catch all the details, hard to follow.
You mean you tie yourself in and work off a closed system? For removals? Why not? I do, and lots of other people do.

Regular climbing rope (I use a VT hitch, but same idea) and a lanyard. two points of tie-in. Nothing odd about it at all.

I use a close system with a VT also. I pretty much use it on everything, trims, removals,roofs, steep hills, etc.
I like a spliced end on a 11 or 11.7mm climbing line and use one of those 3 holed pulleys to advance my knot. Works slick. Beastmaster

what the hell ,half my post is gone,

what happened was i contacted to do a removal, i attached rope snap with dbl fish.knot took a beaner set the distel bout three feet below the snap so when i get to tie in point just throw the snap over attach to d rings as well as the beaner with the distel

the guy n his crew thought i didnt know what i was doin and just rigged somthing up because they have never seen closed hitches

actualll i dont think they know much more than the tautline

i didnt and dont see where its weird to use closed system on removals ,i dunna guys just kinda got under my skin how they were acting

I just ordered a ocean eye to eye split tail along with some poison Hi Vi..the only dif is its 10mil instead of 8. i had practiced with some 8mm beeline and it worked great i have heard you want your splittails a couple mils smaller. i plan on using the Valdotain tresse in this system. i mean a blakes works pretty good and its the same diameter...maybe when i replace it i will get the 8mm but beefyness is good too so is the 10mil fine for a VT? ..it's 30 inches long...weve got all kinds of great hitches and crazy mechanical devices its insane. i like how much smoother a hitch is than a sap covered mech device such as a gri gri that needs your full weight on a srt system to even rappelout.. that is slow as all hell but i guess is good for slow beginners ive just been fighting to get rope when descending and walking back down the tree..if you had to retie your hitch without a split tail you'd be slow too...once your comfortable in the tree i guess you can run a looser more responsive system..finally there im pretty excited about the switch...i was into alot of tall trees and srt static acsending so it was perfect but im on the east coast right now doing alot of removals of oaks box elders ect and speed is what its all about, and saftey of course but alot of moving around to different sides of the tree and retying so it just seems like the right time to switch..Freeweight those guys are prolly just old school..to each his own...my boss climbs with a blakes and some old funky gear, dull spikes somehow manages to bomb everything and noone can say sh*t cuz its done allready..

I climb everything with a closed hitch. Just started using the distel instead of VT and I like it so far.

Once you switch over you will never go back. One handed slack tending is priceless and really speeds up your day.

For pruning it also makes life way easier. If the tree is small enough where you can ascend by just throwing your rope from branch to branch them you can use your climb line like a second lanyard on the way up, so you can basically just climb the tree without setting a line first or ever not being tied in. It also makes moving your TIP way easier, especially if you have a spliced end on your rope. Then you don't have to tie or untie anything, just unclip and pull the rope through.

I just ordered a ocean eye to eye split tail along with some poison Hi Vi..the only dif is its 10mil instead of 8. i had practiced with some 8mm beeline and it worked great i have heard you want your splittails a couple mils smaller. i plan on using the Valdotain tresse in this system. i mean a blakes works pretty good and its the same diameter...maybe when i replace it i will get the 8mm but beefyness is good too so is the 10mil fine for a VT? ..it's 30 inches long...weve got all kinds of great hitches and crazy mechanical devices its insane. i like how much smoother a hitch is than a sap covered mech device such as a gri gri that needs your full weight on a srt system to even rappelout.. that is slow as all hell but i guess is good for slow beginners ive just been fighting to get rope when descending and walking back down the tree..if you had to retie your hitch without a split tail you'd be slow too...once your comfortable in the tree i guess you can run a looser more responsive system..finally there im pretty excited about the switch...i was into alot of tall trees and srt static acsending so it was perfect but im on the east coast right now doing alot of removals of oaks box elders ect and speed is what its all about, and saftey of course but alot of moving around to different sides of the tree and retying so it just seems like the right time to switch..Freeweight those guys are prolly just old school..to each his own...my boss climbs with a blakes and some old funky gear, dull spikes somehow manages to bomb everything and noone can say sh*t cuz its done allready..

I had a boss like that. He never ceased to amaze me. He would do everything with just one rope, a saddle, some busted ass spikes, and a 200T, he climbed on a tautline hitch too. He was fast as hell and what I learned from him is that if you know exactly how the wood is going to react and you know how to make a perfect cut for every situation you can bomb a lot more down without rigging.

He would swing branches away from houses without a rope all day. Whenever he did have to rig he would use the tail end of his climb line and lower the piece himself. He would also stack brush from the air so the groundies would just walk up and grab a pile. Personally I think I will stick to my split tail and micro pulley as well as rigging down just about everything when I am near a target.

Last edited:
Closed hitch for everything. Use Tachyon with 8mm Beeline. Was using a VT for over a year or so but switched back to the more reliable Schwabisch.

Once you are used to it, it'll make old school climbing look silly. It's really a no brainer, just takes some time to convince yourself and make the change.

Back