Using gasoline to help kindle a fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
walk into any place such as forest where there are softwood trees e.g. Pinus Strobus, Spruces, Fir, cedar. Slowly bend the body from the waist with arms extended to the ground. Then with attention, pick up sticks. Place said sticks, branches, into container. Bring home. Use as kindling.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.... but think of all the CO I'm keeping out of the atmosphere by using used motor oil as a firestarter instead of driving down to the recycling center in my fossil fuel using vehicle. Think Green man...

Of course these are wood noodles - not spaghetti noodles. :)

I'm glad you clarified that, Shari. :laugh:

I mean, when a gal comes on here and starts taking about muffin tins and noodles, chainsaws aren't the first mental picture I get.

(for some reason I pictured those wide egg noodles....)

Not that I'm a sexist or anything.... :D

a fool with a tool is still a fool but its worse when the fool condemns the tool because of his idiocy
i wouldnt use gas but do use k2 because its cheapest & know what i'm doing= avoid gassification of ANY FUEL[including woodgas] by respecting the presence of the flame

WTF :buttkick:

my prior posts explain my reasoning SCIENTIFIC= i am not affected by mob rule when it goes against the science i know & live by. ya, the extension of "a fool with a tool..." is my script, highly inspired by Hearth. Lotta peeps that comment on things they dont understand & it inspires me,eh?

seriously...

I have scars on my left hand to explain why NOT to use gasoline near a wood stove. I realize that it CAN be done and that we live in America so some of you WILL do it. All I can say is that after 6 to 8 weeks of getting the dead skin scraped, scrubbed and cut from your flesh that this is NOT a wise thing to do. I hope and pray that those of you who do choose to do this will at least have the sence to NEVER let a child see this practice happen.

Seriously accidents will happen so fast no matter how careful you are. A really nice hatchet to split kindling is also about $13,000 cheaper than the process to allow skin to regrow...Do what you want but I can tell you from experience GAS and fire don't mix and that a nurse can make even the toughest of you cry and piss your pants with a little plastic brush.

Good luck and be safe.

nearly blew myself up using half a cup of petrol on a fire once.. if required i use a splash of kero or diesel..

Be careful with th at stuff. I once dumped a pint or so of fuel (I don't remember if was gas or diesel I'm thinking diesel) over some dying coals. The hot coals vaporized the fuel into a grey smelly cloud. In my hast I introduced a match. I had one stove door #### which promptly blew open as i got a face full of fire then ash. I thought I was going to see the lord!

Am I the only one too cheap to spend money on fuels to start fires that can be started by doing what others have mentioned-pick up the scraps around your splitter, or the sawdust by your saw in the yard.

I split with a maul, so a lot of the bigger, knotty, maple, oak, ash, and birch I get into, will get cut into smaller pieces by cutting with the grain (up and down the tree). I'm guessing that these stringy strips of wood that the saw pulls out (compared to the powdery, flaky sawdust when cutting across the grain like normal) are what people earlier have referred to as 'noodles'. I store them in the shed in the free banana boxes from sams club that have holes on all sides which allows them to dry up. They work great along with my dollar store box of 10,000 matches.

Paper or Plastic?

When that nice gal at the counter asks that all important question, all you have to do is answer, "Paper".
Admittedly, I don't start that many fires these days, as I have an OWB that pretty much stays going once the cold air hits, but when I've been away for a couple days and need to restart it, I have a handy supply of brown paper bags to rip up and throw in the stove. Chop up one split of dry wood from the pile and place it on top of the paper bags....light w/ whatever you have...lighter, match, ect.... I don't get how this is so hard for some people??? What am I missing? I've started fires this way for 20yrs, and don't really see the need for gas, diesel, or some store bought concoctions.
On a side note: If you ever get the chance to work w/ a heli-torch, and they are cleaning the gel out of the lines at the end of the day, and you think it may be a good idea to take that five gallon bucket of gellified gas home and dump on a burn pile....DON'T DO IT!! Unless that is, you have a desire to see 2 tons of wood scrap jump 3 ft off the ground..:laugh:

nearly blew myself up using half a cup of petrol on a fire once.. if required i use a splash of kero or diesel..

Be careful with th at stuff. I once dumped a pint or so of fuel (I don't remember if was gas or diesel I'm thinking diesel) over some dying coals. The hot coals vaporized the fuel into a grey smelly cloud. In my hast I introduced a match. I had one stove door #### which promptly blew open as i got a face full of fire then ash. I thought I was going to see the lord!

my prior posts explain my reasoning SCIENTIFIC= i am not affected by mob rule when it goes against the science i know & live by. ya, the extension of "a fool with a tool..." is my script, highly inspired by Hearth. Lotta peeps that comment on things they dont understand & it inspires me,eh?

More nominations for the DARWIN AWARDS
:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Latest posts

Back