using landscaping cloth to cover stacked lumber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trying

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
anyone used landscape cloth in place of shade cover cloth to cover your stacked wood while drying? It seems a lesser expensive covering. Any ideas, thoughts or comments? thanks t

Landscape fabric would allow water to pass through and then would cut down on water losses. This is how it help plants grown by providing a good growing zone for plant roots. This type of zone though is very bad for firewood and would lead to rapid decay.

Tyvek ought to work well though as it stop liquid water but allows water vapor to pass.

Old recycled sheet metal is about the best thing to cover firewood stacks.

I watched a kiln drying video recently and the owner used something just like that because he had a problem with bees building nests and leaves blowing in and staining the boards.

On my stacks I have to store outside, I cover the top with tin and use geotextile (aka landscape fabric) around the outside of the stack to limit its exposure to sunlight, and the dreaded grey faded boards.

Thanks for all the input. I hadn't thought about lumber covers from the lumber stores. From what I've read about the landscape fabric, it seems that it would let the moisture out as well.

Latest posts

Back