Utility Trailer Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems everyone here is totally with the bigger trailer. Maybe they're right, but it's not always that simple. The big one is certainly better for hauling more stuff down the highway, but think about what else, and where else you will be using it. Your talking about hauling wood, that means maneuvering it through the woods, and you need to maneuver it to your woodpile. My utility trailer has a tilt bed for loading and hauling my 4 wheeler, then it's not too big to hook onto the 4 wheeler and pull through the woods, loaded with wood. It's narrow enough to go through the door of the barn where I store the wood I will be burning for the winter, and the sides are low enough to load and unload from the sides. If you need higher sides, you can always make some extensions. I admit, I have a 3/4 ton truck for the heavier stuff, but even if I get a larger trailer with brakes in the future, it will never be as handy as my utility trailer.

View attachment 309130
I have this small 4x 8 trailer. I have hauled 9 cord with it. it works great and I like the low sides and the low ride height. I roll the log to the trailer and flip them up on it rather than picking them up. I then roll them up the the front of the trailer, when I get home I simply roll them off. I can haul about 1/3 of a cord at a time maybe slightly more. I have also used it for countless dump runs including getting rid of a 8 person hot tub. the only time I really wished I had a bigger trailer was moving a garden tractor. Had to take the mower deck off (too wide) and put it in the back of the SUV since there wasn't enough room with a snow plow in the trailer with the tractor. I wouldn't be able to roll the logs on and carry more without lifting them and stacking them up on the 5x10 so I would definitely spend the $100 and get the 6x10. The 6x10 would allow me to roll 4 rows of logs up the trailer.

It is looking more and more like the 6x10 is going to win out at least for now. If in the future I find I need a bigger trailer, the local market for used utility trailers is really good they typically sell for about $200 off of new price.

I would also recommend the bigger trailer if you have any other uses for it. The 5x10 trailer filled 18" high with green wood will be a load-you could very easily overload the 6' wide trailer. Is there a chance you could get the 6' wide trailer with lower sides? I hear your concern about lifting rounds the extra inches.

Will

I asked about the 6' trailer with 18" sides and that would add about $250 to the price since the current trailers are on the lot and on special. The 24" sides mean I wouldnt be loading from the sides but the drop gate means I really dont have to load from the sides. I find myself loading and unloading the small 4x8 I am using now from the rear.

I have a 6x12 and love it for the size. I load large rounds with a hand truck and the low trailer makes it easy. Now my buddy has a 5x14 single axle, and it is a great trailer, but the 5' wide deck makes a huge difference in space. He bought it so his wife could comfortably pull it in traffic. I must admit I like it for this reason too. We haul quads in West Virginia and the narrow trailer pulls easily on the curvy roads vs my wider trailer. The 14' length makes it easier to back as well. This has more to do with physics than sight. With a longer trailer you have more time to correct a wrong action than a short trailer. Buy the trailer that best suits your needs. I'd personally get a larger trailer, put trailer brakes on it (kits are sold for around $300) and use it until you need a even larger trailer. Good luck, and let us know what you get!

I had borrowed a 5x8 numerous times from a friend. It worked well. I asked him to sell it to me because I think I used it more than he did. He declined, so I got a new one 6x10 was only $200 more. Now I can fit my Allis Chalmers C on it. The trailer is about 200 lbs. heavier than the 5x8, but you can overload either one easily. The bad part with the big one is you can't just pick it up and move it to the truck. The axle is biased a little further back and the extra weight make it impossible to do that, but a dolly wheel solves that. With all that said, I'm glad to have the big one. I cut my logs to 5' long and parbuckle them up the ramp. It works really well! View attachment 309204View attachment 309205View attachment 309206View attachment 309207View attachment 309208Did I mention 1996 f150 2WD.

Get the larger size. I have a 5x10 and wish I had a 6x10. We have a Kubota bx tractor that fits with the 54 inch mower but a 6x10 would be so much nicer when loading.

I am thinking I will get the 6x10 run it for a awhile and if needed I will put the electronic brakes on it. It doesnt look too expensive to get the parts and my truck is already wired for a brake controller.

I have been hanging out here on AS for what, six years now? I have yet to see anyone jump on here and say "Dang, my trailer is just too big. I need to sell it and get a smaller one". But on the other hand, I have seen dozens of posts where guys sold the little trailer and bought a bigger one.

bought a new AC unit for the guest house the other day. Figured out the square footage, then bought the unit that was slightly bigger than what was required. Sure glad I did, it cools the place down in half the time as the older and smaller unit.

Built me a shop seven years ago. Figured out what size I could afford and what I could make do with, then doubled it. Seven years later, that 24X60 shop is slap full, and I am once again adding an addition. And the addition is twice the size of what i figured i needed.

Leased a dumpster cause I am tired of running to the dump every other weekend. Got the next bigger size than what I figured I needed, and dang it if that thing aint slap full and overflowing each and every time they come to empty it!

Want me to keep going? :msp_smile:

Shoot, when I think about it, I started out just like you! Bought a small 6x8 trailer to start off with. Within a year, sold it and bought a 12 foot model. Then a 16 single axle. Finally settled on a 16 foot tandem axle, then upgraded the axles and tires. And i pull the dang thing with a V6 Dodge Dakota too!

I have been hanging out here on AS for what, six years now? I have yet to see anyone jump on here and say "Dang, my trailer is just too big. I need to sell it and get a smaller one". But on the other hand, I have seen dozens of posts where guys sold the little trailer and bought a bigger one.

bought a new AC unit for the guest house the other day. Figured out the square footage, then bought the unit that was slightly bigger than what was required. Sure glad I did, it cools the place down in half the time as the older and smaller unit.

Built me a shop seven years ago. Figured out what size I could afford and what I could make do with, then doubled it. Seven years later, that 24X60 shop is slap full, and I am once again adding an addition. And the addition is twice the size of what i figured i needed.

Leased a dumpster cause I am tired of running to the dump every other weekend. Got the next bigger size than what I figured I needed, and dang it if that thing aint slap full and overflowing each and every time they come to empty it!

Want me to keep going? :msp_smile:

lol !! GO BIG!! or stay home.....lol

If you are rated to pull >3k lbs, buy a trailer that fits your vehicle. Sure, more $$$ up front, but you WILL inevitably end up wanting/needing to haul more.

I rarely wish I had less towing capacity or a smaller trailer (2995# 5x8' trailer, Jeep Wrangler). I regularly wish I had more.

I am happy with my 6x12 modified car carrying trailer; i took the ramp plates off and threw on some decking, added 18" sides, and a lift off rear gate. Right now it is a single axle but I picked up two 3500# dexter drop axles with EL brakes and will be part of the winter project to finish up since it is my "slow" season. I use mine for firewood, mowers, moving, lumber, plants and shrubs, and whatever else comes along.
I have a 2500 Ram 4x4 and is happy with the size. My buddy has a 6.6x16 dual which is nice but just too long. I previously had a 5x10 which was nice but my mowers didn't quite fit on it without running one side up the rails which got old really quick.

A previously mentioned, the larger trailer will be much easier to backup due the added width.

As far as lifting over the 24" sides, I have a trailer I do this with all the time. I don't thing it will be as bad as you thing.

The axle being a little further back = more tongue weight which will help prevent trailer sway at higher speeds.

Do you have a riding mower? If so or if you are planing to get one in the future, what would be the minimum width to make it easy to load / unload?

$200 dollars more, a great investment.

im thinking just save up and get a 14x7 dump hahaha

I have a 14x7 dump a 14x7 enclosed (decoy trailer) and a 12x7 utility trailer with a side ramp

they all serve a purpose - I find its nice to have the little landscape trailer around , its light and easy to hook up compared to the other two

go as big as you can just like everyone said - you will always find a use for it

Back