Vacu Stack cap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust7

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi ya'll, Ain't been here in awhile.
I've searched through a few threads here and found a link to the Vacu Stack wind resistant chimney cap. Also
did a Bing search on reviews. I like the reviews I've read and think that, after 23 years of putting up with the
huff and puff, this thing "might" acually fix my problem (somewhat). My issue is the same as about everybody
else's problem, trees in the path of the wind coming from the W/NNW. I'm burning a U.S. Stove boxwood made of heavy stamped steel with a 6" flue that goes up 24", makes about a 10 degree turn out the window then up 24" on the North side of the house. Tried everything I could think of to no avail. Anyway, I'm wanting to order the Vacu Stack but undecided on the 8" or the 6". Reason being, the Waf and I are looking to moving up to the Hill Country and I may wind up putting in a different wood stove with a double/triple wall chimney. I would like to be able to re use the cap for the new stove. Would it be better to buy the 6" then reduce the chimney from 8 to 6 later or go with the 8" and flare my 6" out while using the 6" pipe now? I'm thinking that if I get the 8" I may even be able to use it on a fireplace if we happen to find a house we like with one. May have to run a liner up it but what the heck, safer.
Any opinions?
Thanks, Frank in Humble, Texas

I'd go 8" before I'd neck down to a 6". Sounds like a pretty short chimney, ever try extending it? BTW, how do you get the pipe out the window with a 10* turn?

Well brenndatoma, I was coming back here to edit my post after I realized I missed the mark on the outside pipe. It's actually about five ft. on the outside and yes I extended up another 24" section and found out I was just wasting precious and expensive iron ore. at 5' it doesn't quite clear the ridge which is South of it but on the South side of the house is my pride and joy 60' + Ash tree and that may be also causing the wind to deflect back and down. In the winter the cold North wind bows right through this old barn we live in so the only thing that will heat it is either the wood stove or just flat out setting it on fire and burning it down. The only positive to the "Flow though ventilation" is that once the house fills up with smoke, it's gone again in no time. And that's with windows and doors shut. :( Hey, we're on 60+ acres in the city limits of Humble which is on the outskirts of Houston. We're surrounded now by civilization so living here is a blessing even though this old house is falling down around us. Don't own it so not spending anymore money on fixing it up. Thus the reason we want our own place way up in the country. Some town with a population of less than 500 would suit us fine.;)
Thank you for your recommendation and that's kind of what I was hoping to hear since the 8" is only $10 more than the 6". Maybe I should upload some pics of that side of the barn . . . uh . . house to give an idea of what I'm up against. If the wind blows from direct North or from the East, it burns just fine.
[BTW, how do you get the pipe out the window with a 10* turn?] I took a glass pane out in 91 when I put the stove in then I put in a piece of aluminum with a 6+" hole drilled in it and added heat shields to protect the wood. I just poke my pipe through the whole when I install the stove for winter. I think I will upload a pic of that. BTW, them 6" hole saws are a booger!

I think he meant, that a 10° bend on a pipe going straight up would still almost be going straight up - so how could you get a pipe that is still going almost straight up to go through a window?

I think he meant, that a 10° bend on a pipe going straight up would still almost be going straight up - so how could you get a pipe that is still going almost straight up to go through a window?
" Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!" I'm sorry, the pipe is just the opposite of the 10*. It turns 10* up off of 90* with an adjustable elbow so I guess that would be 80*.
[so how could you get a pipe that is still going almost straight up to go through a window?] Well, I've done a lot more dumb things than that. Give me enough time and junk and I'll rig anything up. May not work but, what the heck!? :confused:

I would like to see some pics of this setup!
I'll upload some if ya'll promise not to look at the house. I mean, REAL Redneck! It's been mistaken for one of the barns. :(

I ordered the 8" Vacu Stack today and it better work! Not holding my breath since nothing else I've tried has worked for the past 23 or so years The wife's son said "NAH! Maybe work for everybody else but not for this house!".
I'll also update as to the effectiveness for future reference.

OK, here are the pics of my stack coming through the "winder". You will see why I can't get above the trees, especially my wonderful Ash shade tree on the other side of the house. Funny thing is, when the wind turns around and comes from that side (South) and over the ridge I don't have a blowback issue. It only happens when it comes from NW to WNW over those smaller trees. I thought it may be hitting the Ash on the South side of the house and rolling back down but that would cause it to happen even coming due North and NE.
Pic "chim 3" is looking West over the smaller trees. You can barely make out the stack on the left behind the AC window shaker. Pic "chim 4" is looking South over the roof at the Ash tree. Pic "chim 2 is looking SW.
Yes, that is a house and not the barn, I don't own it and I'm not putting no-mo money in it! The Waf and I are working on buying a nice little brick on 1.55 acres up in Central Texas in the sticks. I'll spend money on that.

chim 2.jpg chim 4.jpg chim 3.jpg

Latest posts

Back