Valentine's Fiskar's X27

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengiant

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
You know your wife loves you when UPS show's up on Valentine's Day with a gigantic box (about 10 times larger than the item iteself) that confuses the hell out of you until you open it and there's a Fiskars in it :rock:

I've been reading all the threads on the x27, and telling her about it, but it hasn't been in the budget in recent months. Good thing I have about 3 cords of cherry and maple rounds to work on in the yard.

That could be..... but my 3 future wood helpers under 5 years old usually keep me exercised all day long; albeit not the same as some good wood splitting.

I received mine on my birthday, January 9th... haven't given it a test drive yet. I figure that ash tree I bucked into rounds on Sunday will be the break-in run. Just as well start with something easy-to-split until I get used to swingin' something that light. I'm skeptical... after swingin' 8#'ers all my life it just don't seem heavy enough to split water balloons. It's also the first "striking" tool I've ever owned without a wooden handle... that just ain't right in my mind either. But hey, after all it is the 21st century... probably time I moved into it a little bit, huh?

3 kids under 5 more like you need an exorcism vs more exercise. Bet those little angels can run you ragged some days.

One year I bought my wife a bright red manure spreader for Valentine's Day. She loved it. Does that make us hicks?

You guys are going to love your new Fiskars axes. I was skeptical too, but I started giving mine a workout last week and have done a couple cords so far. I can't believe hoow well it works in comparison to an 8# maul. I can swing it all day and not get tired. Well..... almost all day.

Firewood012-1.jpg

Firewood009.jpg

Firewood002-1.jpg

My helper split some Oak too............

You know your wife loves you when UPS show's up on Valentine's Day with a gigantic box (about 10 times larger than the item iteself) that confuses the hell out of you until you open it and there's a Fiskars in it :rock:

I've been reading all the threads on the x27, and telling her about it, but it hasn't been in the budget in recent months. Good thing I have about 3 cords of cherry and maple rounds to work on in the yard.

She likes a warm fire. No excuse not to split that wood now.:)

3 kids under 5 more like you need an exorcism vs more exercise. Bet those little angels can run you ragged some days.

The 4 month old makes it tough to get outside in the cold to work on the wood pile. I stay at home with the kids and the wife works. I've very blessed, but it's harder than you think to be inside on a nice crisp winters day when you really just want an hour of fresh air and exercise in the yard or on the wood pile.

You guys are going to love your new Fiskars axes. I was skeptical too, but I started giving mine a workout last week and have done a couple cords so far. I can't believe hoow well it works in comparison to an 8# maul. I can swing it all day and not get tired. Well..... almost all day.

I just snuck out for a 20 minute swinging session and I am impressed. I wouldn't say blown away, but definitely impressed and satisfied with the investment. I would say it does go hand in hand with the 8lb maul with much less energy and body wear and tear for the same outcome. I chop on top of a round, inside a tire, and somehow the blade edge got a little buggered. Not sure what I hit, couldn't have been much. So touching up the edge looks will be part of regular maintenance. Also, I think technique will improve over time with getting used to the longer handle. FYI, I am 6'5" and it is plenty long enough for me.

I received mine on my birthday, January 9th... haven't given it a test drive yet. I figure that ash tree I bucked into rounds on Sunday will be the break-in run. Just as well start with something easy-to-split until I get used to swingin' something that light. I'm skeptical... after swingin' 8#'ers all my life it just don't seem heavy enough to split water balloons. It's also the first "striking" tool I've ever owned without a wooden handle... that just ain't right in my mind either. But hey, after all it is the 21st century... probably time I moved into it a little bit, huh?

The Fiskars will surprise you BUT: Don't go into it with the idea that it replaces all your splitting tools - it doesn't any more than any one chainsaw will do everything. Tough to split stuff is not where it shines.

My splitting kit now is:

Fiskars x27 - does most of the splitting

6lb maul used when the Fiskars would need to be pounded on to complete the split,

8lb sledge (may be a 10lb) and wedges - to bust big rounds down to reasonable size
before using the Fiskars

Splitter for the knots crotches.

Chainsaw for those 'when all else fails' chunks.

Harry K

You will like your new X27. Just split all this (almost 3 cords) this week with mine. Think my splitter is getting lonely...

0213121448.jpg

The Fiskars will surprise you BUT: Don't go into it with the idea that it replaces all your splitting tools - it doesn't any more than any one chainsaw will do everything. Tough to split stuff is not where it shines.

My splitting kit now is:

Fiskars x27 - does most of the splitting

6lb maul used when the Fiskars would need to be pounded on to complete the split,

8lb sledge (may be a 10lb) and wedges - to bust big rounds down to reasonable size
before using the Fiskars

Splitter for the knots crotches.

Chainsaw for those 'when all else fails' chunks.

Harry K

I know this thread is old but my comment is still pertinent. Even though Fiskars backs these axes up with a lifetime guarantee, they are NOT made to pound on. They are splitting axes and splitting axes only. And darn good ones at that. I don't have a problem with my X27 sticking in the round and needing to be pounded on to finish the split. That is one of the things I really like about the design. For the most part, it either splits or bounces back making it fast and easy to swing again. I like it so much I have downsized my splitting tools to include:

1. Fiskars X27
2. Sledge and Wedge

That's it. And the largest percentage of splitting by far is being done with only the X27. If I have a large or knotty round I split it in half with the wedge and the X27 does the rest. It makes splitting wood much faster and easier for me (splitting conifer). Not sure the same could be said for hardwood as we aren't lucky enough to have access to that. It really amazes me just how much power can be developed while swinging the X27.

Latest posts

Back