Vallorbe Racing Cut System

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For god's sake people! As long as some of you have been sitting around waiting for this thing, just go buy some damn files and learn! It's not hard at all, really, to square file.

I got some files...I am learnin....What's wrong with trying out something new?

I also had some files before I got the guide and could make a decent/good square chain, but with the guide it's so easy and quick that I think that any person able to file with a regular file guide (round) or freehand can make a good square filed chain !

I'll probably pick one up just to try out. I have one bar and one chain set up for the 9 pin rim for my 372. Would be nice to have that one loop of chain square chisel for informal GTG chest thumping... ;)

Ian

Well I Think They should give us all a free one:dizzy: For making us wait. :popcorn:

I am afraid of the price tag

I have heard they are going to be close to 2 bills.. For that kind of money a man can practice quite bit.

As long as it's two 10 dollar bills, count me in... not interested in square enough to spend 10x or even 3x that.

Ian

In all seriousness, what is the max you guys would pay for this? At what point would you consider it "not worth it?" Keep in mind that this is a highly engineered, quality product. You can hardly expect to pay a small amount for this until the Chinese come out with their copy.

Last edited:
No more than $40 for me. It would be a curiosity, a toy. While there may be a lot of brain behind it, from the pictures I've seen the actual construction is fairly simple and the unit itself shouldn't be expensive to make, especially if they're ordering thousands for marketing. Now if they're contracting 200 units done to see how they go over, that would drive the individual price up.

If they're $200, I'd like to see one get passed around to the trusted veterans here and I'd be happy to send $10 to the owner and pay to ship it to the next person after playing with it for a week.

Ian

Then I guess you guys won't be getting one :(
From what I've heard from Goran, the price will be quite a bit more than that. (Less than 2 bills, though).

I'm hoping to send some out to AS members (Perhaps to trusted members like Ian :D) for testing once we get samples in.

Last edited:
Just gotta be careful that it doesn't get put in the same shed that the infamous high dollar Leveraxe did. It's still missing. :angry:

Ian

P.S. If you want to send some out for "official" AS testing, count me out. I wouldn't make a good tester. Send them to someone that cuts with square for a living so you get better feedback.

Last edited:
P.S. If you want to send some out for "official" AS testing, count me out. I wouldn't make a good tester. Send them to someone that cuts with square for a living so you get better feedback.

Yes, but we also want to get it into the hands of people that are used to running only round ground chain (I don't know what you normally use).

Ah... I understand. I usually run Bailey's 30RC. .375 Round Chisel.

Didn't I read somewhere here that you have to run a certain kind of chain or the indexing won't work? Without going back and reading the whole thread again, seems like it was a certain brand and tooth spacing.. IE works on full comp, won't work on skip or semi-skip.

Who knows, once I use it, I may buy one and convert all my RC chains.. LOL

I know of 2 other AS members within easy driving distance... maybe Dustytools and Stipes can come over and we can have a "freshly ground square" vs "Vallorbe'd square" vs "round chisel" comparison. Someone would have to volunteer to loan me a loop of freshly sharpened square though. Take that to any shop around here for sharpening and you would get RC back.

Ian

Ah... I understand. I usually run Bailey's 30RC. .375 Round Chisel.

Didn't I read somewhere here that you have to run a certain kind of chain or the indexing won't work? Without going back and reading the whole thread again, seems like it was a certain brand and tooth spacing.. IE works on full comp, won't work on skip or semi-skip.

Who knows, once I use it, I may buy one and convert all my RC chains.. LOL

I know of 2 other AS members within easy driving distance... maybe Dustytools and Stipes can come over and we can have a "freshly ground square" vs "Vallorbe'd square" vs "round chisel" comparison. Someone would have to volunteer to loan me a loop of freshly sharpened square though. Take that to any shop around here for sharpening and you would get RC back.

Ian

I think it only works on full comp chain.

You can spend a lot of money on stones and jigs to properly sharpen a pocket knife or a chisel. Quality/precision tools cost money. Properly filed round chains cut pretty good and for me at least, can be done quickly, easily and cheaply. I would like to learn to file square so the idea of a quality jig really interest me but I can see costs associated with the jigs and files being a big turn off to other cutters.

It's already been around, some of the best names in sq filing have had it in their hands and give'n input on the final design. It is not really designed for a pro filer to use however some may enjoy the simplicity of it, but it is so quick and easy, any monkey on a service truck can pick it up and in very few tries be sq filing with amazing results.

No it doesn't do skip and it is my understanding that it now has two settings, one for Oregon chain and another for all others, which was the main problem I saw in the first design, it was not much of a problem and I had it solved on the one they sent me in only a few minuets at the machine shop.

Later,

PS Chain angles = inside side plate 30°, 10° forward slope on the outside side plate, 34° inside top plate, 32° outside top plate, is the goal and it is my understanding that he is offering other rollers for a faster cut

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back