Files which brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Details of comparison ,please?
Which is more aggressive ?
Which leaves a smoother edge ?
Differences in cut ?
Side by side pics Vallorbe, Balcho
Details of comparison ,please?
Which is more aggressive ?
Which leaves a smoother edge ?
Differences in cut ?
Side by side pics ?
:p
Vallorbe is the overall winner, in performance, refinement, quality, longevity, from left to right, Vallorbe, Balcho,SafeEdge ACE7854A-C52D-4CDE-A572-E19BEB4E9BB7.jpeg269CFF81-FCC0-4546-9CF1-452E1FFFF368.jpeg

Don't tempt me I already bought 6 Dozen files. I should think everyone reading this should buy some at those prices. I cant help but think the prices will be double soon.
At those prices, and knowing what the wholesale price of them is at volume, they’re making a couple of bucks per dozen at most. My guess is they’re trying to clear out some inventory…get ‘em while you can!

2020 the bug year Save Edge couldnt get blanks and they stopped doing the chainsaw files. So anything anyone finds is old stock.

Some left overs I think I sold Philbert over on my old forum.
I missed the boat on Save Edge but what’s the story on them? Did they get Euro files and treat them somehow?

I bought 4 dozen NOS FrostBite files a while back, which are just crying treated Vallorbe files. I like them just fine but I don’t notice much difference between them and the Euro Oregon(Vallorbe).

"German made" = Pferd
Do you know if Bahco makes the Husqvarna files? The husky files that come with the raker gauge/roller guide are probably my favorite atm.

I'm not sure if Bahco makes the Husky files .
If the files are made in Portugal ,then yes Bahco makes them for Husqvarna.

I'm not sure if Bahco makes the Husky files .
If the files are made in Portugal ,then yes Bahco makes them for Husqvarna.
I’ll poke around but I’m not sure the package says where it came from. It’s 3 files, the roller guide and the handle which could all be from different sources.

There’s a small chance that they are making their own files in house. As I understand it they make their C83 and C85 chains in their own factory.

I really do not think that Husqvarna makes their own chainsaw files.They may be getting blanks and form them into files ,but I think is neither the case.

I really do not think that Husqvarna makes their own chainsaw files.They may be getting blanks and form them into files ,but I think is neither the case.
I agree it’s not very likely but up until a couple of years ago Husky outsourced all their chain production so things can change.

Some of the online listings I’ve found it says that they’re German, so probably Pferd. That said side by side my echo and husky (both German) flat files are definitely from different blanks and were finished to different standards. The echo is the file with rougher edges. Don’t mean pferd didn’t make both but it’s interesting to compare.

Attachments

• 9361B155-9177-439C-B56A-54A7C8B7D14E.jpeg
    9361B155-9177-439C-B56A-54A7C8B7D14E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • EFC53375-F643-4985-A74E-E9390906EEB6.jpeg
    EFC53375-F643-4985-A74E-E9390906EEB6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 28E5847F-9C79-47FF-8E46-F8C98B89932B.jpeg
    28E5847F-9C79-47FF-8E46-F8C98B89932B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I just wanted to say thank you to @Czed for posting the link to Amiriks for the files. I purchased them and they already arrived. Excellent customer service from them too! Plus they included a little booklet I found awesome
I'm looking forward to sharpening some chains on Monday :)
You're welcome
I have a couple of chain grinders and usually just prefer to file in the woods

Wow, that Amick's price is unreal. Unfortunately they don't have the 13/64" size I normally use.

Question: After a chain (that you would normally use 13/64" file on) gets worn, is there any harm in using the slightly larger 7/32"?

Or should I go down to 5/32"?

(This is for full chisel 3/8" chains on my 361 and 660. My local guys only have 7/32" but somewhere -- here, I think -- I heard that 13/64" is the proper size for my chains.)

Wow, that Amick's price is unreal. Unfortunately they don't have the 13/64" size I normally use.

Question: After a chain (that you would normally use 13/64" file on) gets worn, is there any harm in using the slightly larger 7/32"?

(This is for full chisel 3/8" chains on my 361 and 660. My local guys only have 7/32" but somewhere -- here, I think -- I heard that 13/64" is the proper size for my chains.)
I have been using 7/32 on the STIHL chains forever. Yes, after it wears a good amount, you can use a 7/32 successfully.

Just get into the gullet a little more , no problem.

Personally I've always used 7/32 on 3/8 and .404 chains
I prefer them.

Back