Files which brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Pferd Classic line ( orange band on the box ) -which BTW are sold rebranded as Stihl files - is the coarser type,while the Premium Cut files ( silver/gray band on the box ) are finer .
https://www.pferd.com/us-en/product...32-round-chain-saw-file-8-length-premium-cut/
https://www.pferd.com/us-en/product...les-round/5-32-chain-saw-file-round-8-length/
Pferd Premium Cut files are
somewhat equivalent to Vallorbe files ( medium aggressive but
leave behind razor sharp cutters ) ,while Pferd Classic /Stihl files remove more material -like the very aggressive
Bahco/Oberg/Sandvik files,but still being finer than the latter .

For field sharpening I prefer the
Bahco files .When back home ,
for bench sharpening I then prefer the somewhat finer Stihl (
aka Pferd Classic ) files .

Here at left is a 5/32" Bahco-Oberg round file vs a 5/32" Stihl / Pferd Classic at right
( both unused ) :BC77B76D-8B40-4BD1-B3E7-0384FFE5878A.jpeg
A369F00C-6F9E-41B1-80D8-5685A66BEFA4.jpeg
Notice how the teeth per inch is about the same.But on the Bahco-Oberg file the knurling is much more pronounced and pointy.The steel alloy used for manufacturing the Bahco files comes directly from Sandvik .
Bahco-Oberg chainsaw files are probably the most aggressive files .They remove material like no other file does.And they last pretty long ,too.

While regarding flat files
the difference in aggressiveness is
negligible :
A9E81DC9-6F0A-400D-9106-1C2B8A1E1F7B.jpeg

The stihl around here gets 3.00 a file. I think thats high.

Like most anything with STIHL marked or stamped on it........ even if they do not make them and have them made by a company that often sells the exact same file branded for them, at a cheaper retail price. ;)

Stopped by a STIHL dealer today and asked about double bevel chisel bit files for square filing, just due to this thread.

They looked them up in the computer, and said, ‘About $22 each’!

I thought they were pricy @ $8, back when round files were $1 to $1.25 each (purchased by the dozen).

Philbert

The stihl around here gets 3.00 a file. I think thats high.

Have to do some math...... have not had to buy files for a LONG time, but a dozen box retails for around $35 of our money, which converts out to just under $22 of yours- divide that by a dozen and you get...... $1:83 per file.
Good enough reason for me to stay on my side of the Pacific. :p

Trivia regarding Bahco files :

In 1975 The Bahco company acquires C O Öberg in Eskilstuna, Sweden producing engineering files, sharpening files and chain saw files.
During 1990 Bahco acquires the Finnish file manufacturer Viiala and incorporates it into Oberg.
Viiala was well known for manufacturing high quality chain saw files and sharpening files.
In 1991 Sandvik acquired Bahco,
while in 1992 the remaining part of the file production was moved from Sweden to Portugal ,in the biggest and most modern file factory in Europe.Öberg machinery was moved along to Portugal to be used exclusively in Bahco file manufacturing
( "Öberg Cut" ).

Edit: Just dug out this ( Post #4 )
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/best-files.48330/

I would not get those since they don’t specifically say classic cut or classic line.
It will say that when they are the more aggressive ones.

Stihl is fine if you can’t order or buy in bulk if you get decent prices. If I can choose keep looking for pferd classic cut.

I found @GusGus2020 on here who sells on eBay also this user https://www.ebay.com/itm/2557737600...SuwDo-WSEq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
That’s for a square file.
Anyway I just ordered 3 boxes of round files and a couple depth gauge files for decent price. He is just a small guy so I had to wait a little to get my sizes in, but he treated me well and I like supporting a family guy who works in the woods and on saws. Message him directly or if you can’t get ahold of him I can give you his info. I was basically preferring to get pferd classic cut, but decided differences were minimal so went with ease of ordering from a guy like myself.

I my surveys(I need to compile the numbers) I feel like Pferd and Vallorbe are preferred 3 to 1. With oregon and Chinese files at the bottom. I keep hearing of 2 different oregon files, but in my limited experience I can say my old oregon files from Portugal were awesome. New Swiss ones not good unless 5/32 and almost any files work at that size I think. There may be good oregon out there but without proof or a different line name, I am not trying them for awhile. At least with Pferd you can shoot for the Classic cut and know it’s different from the others.

Hope that helps. It’s kinda crazy here with a new baby and someone just shot our dog in view of the children, (rough rough day) but if you covered costs I could send a vallorbe or 2, or some of the Sandviks I got.
Thanks for the mention @IntegrityCarpentry - If I do direct sales using PayPal or Venmo, I can give better prices than what I have on the bay for the square files (double bevel, chisel, 3-square). PM me if anyone is interested. I can’t match Amick’s price on round files - that’s super cheap and a great deal, though if you account for the shipping, you’re getting closer to what my prices would be. I also have 6 inch raker files available by the dozen, or other amounts that you may want. Right now I’m only dealing Vallorbe.

Going from smoothest (top) to most aggressive ( bottom ) :
( EU made round chainsaw files )

🇨🇭 Vallorbe 03-Smooth DX

🇩🇪 Pferd Premium Cut

🇩🇪 Pferd Classic / arba Stihl

🇨🇭 Vallorbe 02-2nd Cut MDX /
(arba Mad Dog Timber Savage ?)

🇵🇹 Bahco Öberg

A good plan is to have both smooth and aggressive files,
and use accordingly depending on the level of sharpening needed.

I have been using Save Edge but they cant be bought anymore so what do you guys use? I read Vallorbe are good ?
I went through the same thing when my stock of save edge ran out.

Vallorbe or these Maddog.

Maddog is coarse like saveedge was.

The regular Timber savage ones are fine.

files.jpg

I went through the same thing when my stock of save edge ran out.

Vallorbe or these Maddog.

Maddog is coarse like saveedge was.

The regular Timber savage ones are fine.

View attachment 1062981
Maddog files are made in Switzerland ,
thus made by Vallobre.
It would be interesting if someone could compare them versus the Vallorbe 2nd Cut ( MDX ). I'm betting that they are the exact same files .

Europe has three major file factories.
All the files made in Switzerland are made by Vallorbe ,the ones made in Germany are made in Pferd factory and
the ones made in Portugal are manufactured by Bahco-Sandvik
( like the older Oregon files ).

Back