Files which brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ,I think it's about time that I can do a comparison among the three most common european chainsaw files,since I've used them rather extensively .

The files are :
1 ) Stihl ( made by Pferd ,same file as Pferd Premium )
2 ) Vallorbe 03
3 ) Bahco /Öberg ( ex Sandvik )

All files tested are of 5/32" ( 4 mm ) size .

Aggressiveness ( amount of material removed per pass ) :
Most aggressive is Bahco/Öberg ,followed by Vallorbe 03 ,while Stihl removes the least amount of material per pass .

Cutting edge sharpness ( of chain cutters ) : Vallorbe 03 leaves the sharpest edge ,followed by Stihl ,while Bahco/Öberg leaves the roughest cutting edges .

Durability : Vallorbe 03 is the most durable ,closely followed by Bahco/Öberg ,while Stihl seems not to last nearly as long as the former two.Furthermore ,Stihl files are extremely prone to breakage ,in case of free-hand ( no filling guide used ) sharpening .

Overall : Vallorbe 03 seems to be the best file for achieving really keen cutter edges.

Bahco/Öberg is the best file to be used to re-shape / fix really badly worn or deformed cutters or for altering top plate angle.

Stihl ( aka Pferd Premium ) files still remain a better option than some other files I've used in the past ( i.e. Oregon ) ,while they are actually the cheapest of all ( at least here ) .Maybe being the best file for light touch-ups ,after every refueling for example or for trimming the gullets.

Back