value of logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rftreeman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm going to start taking my logs of good size to the mill myself (use to give them away) and want too know how to figure the value of them before I go, can't I buy some type of stick that will tell me the board feet of the logs or something like that, the mill is a decent haul so I want to make sure it will be worth it although I know it will.

Around here timber prices are way down. I used to make just enough off of my pine & fir logs to justify hauling them, now that diesel is well over 3.00 a gallon I don't know.
Bailey's sells a nice scale stick in Scribner & Doyle scales, and they are a site sponsor.
Good luck,

Andy

I bought my "tally stick" from Baileys long time ago, but the other day i saw some Logrite "aluminum" sticks. They are really nice and look like they would last forever...

Log prices are all over the board depending on where you live and who wants what in YOUR area... They go up and down like the gas prices, EXCEPT the gas goes UP more than it comes down!

Rob

thanks guys, I'm going to call the mill and ask what rule they use and what they pay for each grade and such and how they grade the logs, I don't want to go to the mill blind and get bent over if you know what I mean.

thanks guys, I'm going to call the mill and ask what rule they use and what they pay for each grade and such and how they grade the logs, I don't want to go to the mill blind and get bent over if you know what I mean.

While my experience working as a logger for a pulpwood company and working with local sawmills from time to time is dated (20+ years ago) human nature and business hasn't changed much. Most mills in the S MD area were honest, but be aware that they will usually try and get the most log from you for the least amount of money. Not saying they will cheat you out of some change, just saying I'd at least find out what certain wood is going for in your area before I took it to a mill. A half hour of phone calls can educate you enough to get you into the ballpark so you're not blind when you arrive at the mill.

Just as an aside to those interested, most of what we cut was sold to the pulpwood company not by the bd ft but by the ton. They would debark it, chip it and make the photo quality paper for high end mags like in National Geographic. If I remember correctly (early 80's prices), softwood was going for around $22 a ton, and mixed hardwood was going for less than half that. They would ship it about 3 hours north to the mill in central PA from down below Washington DC where we were cutting. I remember at one point hardwood was down to 5 bucks a ton. Quick and dirty math, a ton of wet cherry or oak is about 400 bd ft worth. Figure at least half of that weight is bark/slab/cull/low quality wood, but say at least a forth, say 100 bd ft was good stuff. 100bd ft of cherry for $5... imagine that.

Maybe I missed it, but what type of logs are you planning to take in?

Our White Oak and Mixed White Oak prices have been pretty pretty decent this year. Tulip Popular was pretty solid at the beginning of spring, but I don't know where it's at now. Red and Black Oak haven't been doing very well around here. Black Walnut isn't too bad. All of the veneer stuff is pretty strong, but then it's up to the mill to make that call.:help:

You're talking about a Doyle rule stick;

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/323?mv_session_id=rQ8snsdj&product_sku=62D

I don't have any experience with them at all, but I've read about them a few times. I'd check the forestry and logging forum as well, as you're bound to find some folks in your area that know local current timber prices....

Good luck.

No, I was talking about these.

http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi...sion_id=hLQ98g2Q&product_sku=15D-15S-15DC-15I

Andy

Maybe I missed it, but what type of logs are you planning to take in?

Our White Oak and Mixed White Oak prices have been pretty pretty decent this year. Tulip Popular was pretty solid at the beginning of spring, but I don't know where it's at now. Red and Black Oak haven't been doing very well around here. Black Walnut isn't too bad. All of the veneer stuff is pretty strong, but then it's up to the mill to make that call.:help:
most likely oak and popular unless they buy large yellow pine also or any other logs they say they will buy, I need to make as much money as I can, maybe the money from the logs will off set some spent on fuel but I doubt it.

Rftreeman

board footage can be calculated by squaring the (small end diameter minus 4) for a 16' log. example: 16' of 24" log has 400 (20x20) board feet in it if its stright. if its 12' then 12/16 x 400, 10' then 10/16 x 400, ect.

the log rules are handy, but not always handy.

Latest posts

Back