Value of (non running) 272 Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodbreaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering what a 272 with no compression might be worth and what it would take to get it running. I might be able to pick one up cheap from the local pawn shop. I fiqure a whole new top end, piston, etc., I didn't ask him for a price on it as I haven't researched it fully yet. Mainly I'm wondering how high I can go on the price and still break even

Thanks
Sod Breaker

Depends on the condition...any breaks or cracks..??

Without seeing it..$100 for sure - if nice $150..have to be super nice to get $200 from me.

Hope this helps...I'm just sayin' what I personally would pay.
:cheers:
J2F

Depends on the condition...any breaks or cracks..??

Without seeing it..$100 for sure - if nice $150..have to be super nice to get $200 from me.

Hope this helps...I'm just sayin' what I personally would pay.
:cheers:
J2F

If I ponied up 2 bills for a saw I would expect it to run..

If the saw looks in good cosmetic condition, ie, all the plastic is present and good shape, and there is a bar on it that is in ok shape, then $100. If it has pieces missing, depends what isn't there. If the muffler is molested, then less $. Assume the piston and cylinder is shot if the compression is low. Since you aren't able to test any other systems assume there could be carb issues, bad oiler, bearing play, slipping clutch, leaking seals, etc.

In short, if the saw doesn't run, it's parts. And parts saws aren't worth all that much. If the pawn shop is proud of it (southern for they think it's worth a lot) then they can pay a shop $400 to fix it up and sell it for $500.

Make an offer. If they say no, check back in a couple weeks and make the same offer. See what happens.

I know I wouldn't pay a hundred bucks for a blown up 272

So if I read you guys right I'd almost have to have it given to me to make it worth while? Correct?

Thanks guys.
Sod Breaker

If the saw looks in good cosmetic condition, ie, all the plastic is present and good shape, and there is a bar on it that is in ok shape, then $100. If it has pieces missing, depends what isn't there. If the muffler is molested, then less $. Assume the piston and cylinder is shot if the compression is low. Since you aren't able to test any other systems assume there could be carb issues, bad oiler, bearing play, slipping clutch, leaking seals, etc.

In short, if the saw doesn't run, it's parts. And parts saws aren't worth all that much. If the pawn shop is proud of it (southern for they think it's worth a lot) then they can pay a shop $400 to fix it up and sell it for $500.

Make an offer. If they say no, check back in a couple weeks and make the same offer. See what happens.

Bingo.

So if I read you guys right I'd almost have to have it given to me to make it worth while? Correct?

Thanks guys.
Sod Breaker

Not at all. What pretty much everyone is saying is that its nearly impossible for us to give you a "value" without knowing more than its model # and that it doesn't run.

I have bought lots of non runners for $50 or less and Ive bought others that were over $150 (as recently as last week I spent $165 on a non running 359 because the overall condition was good & I felt confident the top end was still in good shape - and I was right its a timing issue).

Runners are easy to give value on because then it really just comes down to cosmetics. Non runners however, thats tougher because depending upon what you need done... it could be a few bucks (carb rebuild) or several hundred (new top end, new coil, new carb - if its leaking maybe new tank, who knows?)

A good, strong running 272 is probably worth between $350 - 450 depending upon condition. Determine the condition & work backwards from there.
Good luck.

I really like my 272. I cooked the original piston last summer (had it set a little too lean and had the flywheel side down in some thick grass while cutting a big locust). $25 for an NWP piston and a half hour with some acid and 400 grit wet/dry (along with a little porting) is all it took. I'd gladly pay $100 for one that's not completely beat up even if it does need a cylinder and piston... and carb kit, and air filter, and bar/chain.

On a older non running saw it boils down to cosmetics for me......there are many things you can't test with out the saw running, but it's rare indeed to find a 20 yr old 70cc saw with nice plastic, paint etc. When reselling no matter how perfect a saw runs, if it's ugly and worn looking nobodys goning to give many $$ for it. It's a lot more work and time to make a worn lookng saw look nice than it is to fix no-running one even if you do seals and a new P&C. As far as value goes.....are you talking the value a particular saw has in the resale market?? Or are you talking the value of the saw all repaired and you plan on using this great saw for yrs and yrs to come??? Two very different values and ways of gauaging value. Take the 70E in my sig.....looks nearly new......cosmetically....is new mechaniclly.....not counting my time....all told I probably have over $400.00 in this saw.....to me it's worth over $600.00...to sell anyone else...I'd be lucky to get $300.00. Most everyone here has an opinion....from TK who wouldn't give $100.00 for a blow 272 to guys who would give twice that one that looked good even if it was blown.. TK is a dealer and knows well that it will cost a lot to rebuild that saw back to a sellable saw in his shop with his rep on the line...there would be no money made..only a potential liaibility from selling a used saw... so what's the point?? However the rest of us would look at it from the other end.....at the very least there woud be $100.00 worth of parts!! All this is probably not helpful to the OP but there are more ways to look at things than from just a dollars and cents point of view....272Xp is an awsome saw BTW.....

Last edited:
On a older non running saw it boils down to cosmetics for me......there are many things you can't test with out the saw running, but it's rare indeed to find a 20 yr old 70cc saw with nice plastic, paint etc. When reselling no matter how perfect a saw runs, if it's ugly and worn looking nobodys goning to give many $$ for it. It's a lot more work and time to make a worn lookng saw look nice than it is to fix no-running one even if you do seals and a new P&C. As far as value goes.....are you talking the value a particular saw has in the resale market?? Or are you talking the value of the saw all repaired and you plan on using this great saw for yrs and yrs to come??? Two very different values and ways of gauaging value. Take the 70E in my sig.....looks nearly new......cosmetically....is new mechaniclly.....not counting my time....all told I probably have over $400.00 in this saw.....to me it's worth over $600.00...to sell anyone else...I'd be lucky to get $300.00. Most everyone here has an opinion....from TK who wouldn't give $100.00 for a blow 272 to guys who would give twice that one that looked good even if it was blown.. TK is a dealer and knows well that it will cost a lot to rebuild that saw back to a sellable saw in his shop with his rep on the line...there would be no money made..only a potential liaibility from selling a used saw... so what's the point?? However the rest of us would look at it from the other end.....at the very least there woud be $100.00 worth of parts!! All this is probably not helpful to the OP but there are more ways to look at things than from just a dollars and cents point of view....272Xp is an awsome saw BTW.....

IMO the cost and time involved on a dealer end to rebuild a non-sentimental value holding 272 is not worth it. It becomes even more expensive to pay a shop to do it for you. It's still very expensive to buy the parts and do it yourself, but less than paying the labor also obviously.

Realistically it either has to have some sort of sentimental value be it a family heirloom or just "that model you have to have before you die." A 372 in great condition can be had for the same cost or less than rebuilding a 272 if the cyl is pooched.

Theres a running one here for $200 so for a non runner Id almost pass unless almost free....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back