Vegetable oils for bar lube? Is there really a need for bar specific oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm dredging up an old thread here but am I right in thinking that what you call Canola oil is what we in the UK call Rapeseed oil?

Yes....sort of. Canola is a low erucic acid variety of Rape Seed developed for food usage. Some of the European saw uses have reportedly experienced health related issues while using rapeseed oil...presumably from the erucic acid.

Yep, Canola is a hybridised, low Erucic acid form of Rapeseed.

Yes....sort of. Canola is a low erucic acid variety of Rape Seed developed for food usage. Some of the European saw uses have reportedly experienced health related issues while using rapeseed oil...presumably from the erucic acid.

Thanks to both of you.

I'll have a look next time I'm in Tesco at the price, but I do know that the Bar oil in my local chainsaw dealer is pretty expensive stuff so if veggie oil does even close to the same job I might give it a go in one of the saws I got for nothing anyway.
Its only got a short bar and consequently a short chain so if its a big deal it wont cost the earth to replace.

I might give it a go.

You're welcome. I'm still using straight vegi oil, 5 yrs later, in all four of my saws with no problems that I can see.

I have used Canola oil this last winter on my 30 inch bar on the 084 for noodle cutting and also on the 28 inch bar on the 660, 24 inch bar on the 441 and 20" bar on the 361. I didn't notice any problems.

If bar oil can be purchased for $5 or less, I will use any type of bar oil, but if I have to spend more than that I will walk into a grocery store and get Canola Oil.

The Canola Oil doesn't work great when its 20F cold, I cut it with some diesel one time and mixed gas (very, very little) another time in the cold.

Not saying its right, but its what I did and it worked fine,

Sam

Why dont all you veggie oil guys start putting that in your automobile crankcase. Couldnt hurt, theres no "real evidence" one is better than the other. And its got to be better for the environment.

From now on Im using bacon grease too. I like the smell, and if it clogs because its too cold out, the heat from the bar not getting lubricated willl eventually heat up the grease and it will start working again.

LMFAO!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the chainsaw police get word of inappropriate oil being used for the b&c, there's a good chance that your saw will be seized.

Below is a picture smuggled out of the fatherland.

German_Chainsaw_Police.jpg

I did not read all the pages YET..... Has anyone mentioned Mineral oil the stuff we use on cuttings boards for chopping veggies ?? It is cheap and my wife tans with it. It is not thick and won't clog up saws ........

Latest posts

Back