Vermeer 1230 hates winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthbound

Reaction score
I have a Vermeer BC 1230 chipper that does not work well below 35°.
Ever since we had it, if you run it below 30° the hydraulic fluid runs out the top cap. I changed the fluid a few years ago and this did not fix it.
I go by the dip stick, on what the level should be.
It doesn't matter if it warmed up or not, as soon as u feed brush, it starts spewing.

Does the oil have any air bubbles or foam in it? If it does check and make sure your suction lines from the tank to your pump are tight and not aerating the oil. This will cause the oil to expand ALOT and cause it to overflow the tank.

Ok thanks, I remember one year it did that a lot. Really foamy looking. But today it was clear, however I do think there was a few small air bubbles present. I will check the lines tomorrow. Thank you!

That makes sense. The oil thickens when its cold. If the strainer is partially blocked, the thicker oil won't pass through as fast as its being pumped back into the tank.
I would take it all apart. Clean the strainer, the tank if needed, replace the filter and put in a thinner oil.

Latest posts

Back