Vermeer 1800 Chipper Refurb Almost Done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbor pro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So, a while back, I posted pics of my 'new' chip truck refurbish project. At that time, I mentioned that the 'new' truck made my chipper look bad so I was toying with the idea of refurbishing it too. Well, it's almost done...

I'll post final pics once I get the chute back on and the rims either painted or replaced. I'm trying to find some 16.5x9.75 chrome rims as my tires are basically new and I can't justify going with new 16" rims AND new tires.

I have lots of photos so will have to make a few posts...

AP

just a few more pics of the chipper.

I attached a couple photos of the truck incase some of you missed the thread about its refurb job. I think the chipper and truck will look pretty good as a pair now.

Whatcha think?

AP

Last edited:
Now your problem is going to be that potential drive-by customers will think you charge way too much because you have all this "new" fancy equipment LOL.. Brilliant job. I'd like to see the truck and the chipper together. Looks great..

Looking good AP! Like someone else said it's going to hurt when something get's a scratch in it for sure with all that hard work you put into the truck & chipper!

Looks really great! How far did you go? Did you repaint the inside of the fenders? Did you grind out the rust then fill in the pitting with bondo or something? Sure looks awesome. I'd like to repaint my chipper some winter once I have a warm place to do that kinda work. Very professional job!

Mike

Looks really great! How far did you go? Did you repaint the inside of the fenders? Did you grind out the rust then fill in the pitting with bondo or something? Sure looks awesome. I'd like to repaint my chipper some winter once I have a warm place to do that kinda work. Very professional job!

Mike

Thanks for the kind words. We stripped off all the old decals and sandblasted out the rust spots and loose paint. Didn't prep it like you would a '69 corvette but did a lot better job than some reseller who just whitewashes over everything and calls it a paint job (like old Harv in MI).

Straightened out the majority of notable dents and dings and bondoed in a few deep pits and dings then used a lot of primer to build up spots. Then she got 3 coats of urethane - took two full gallons of paint. Took as much primer and paint as my chip truck believe it or not!

Up close, you can see a few blemishes but, none of my customers are going to be inspecting it like they would a '69 vette. My goal was just a professional-looking long-lasting paint job - something that would compliment the truck and vice-versa. I think it turned out well.

Just in case anyone is wondering, my total investment so far:

paint job including materials: $1600
graphics: $ 250
chrome rims (on order): $ 325

Total cost of Refurb job: $2175

AP where did you get the maroon stripe (in place of the black) for the vermeer graphics? that isn't stock from vermeer is it?

AP where did you get the maroon stripe (in place of the black) for the vermeer graphics? that isn't stock from vermeer is it?

Just had a local sign shop print the stripe. Tried to keep with the white, black, red theme of my chip truck.

Might be a good time for an update on how the paint job is holding up. Even after sandblasting the chipper and adding 3 coats of primer, rust is starting to bleed through at bolt holes and joints. Can be covered up with some rustoleum white easily enough but I'm a little disappointed. thought the paint job would last longer. still a 7 or 8 out of a 10 cosmetically but not as pretty as it was when it first came out of the paint shop.

oh well...

Lookin' Sharp!

just a few more pics of the chipper.

I attached a couple photos of the truck incase some of you missed the thread about its refurb job. I think the chipper and truck will look pretty good as a pair now.

Whatcha think?

AP

My look at you now! Your competitors are gonna be aimin' fer you now! :(:rock:

Latest posts

Back