Vermeer 630A Bearings question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skywalker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
630A is making scraping noise on 2 different areas within one full revolution

does this sound like bearings or just something bent????

thanks

It could be bearings, but I would look at the underside belt cover first. It is adjustable, and may have come loose. There is a possibility that the pointy ends to the outside end have been bent. I have been there, done that. This year we had a small pebble end up in the belt housing, and it didn't take long to chew up the belts.

I hope this helps!!!

Steve-Maine

If you have to replace pillow block bearings make sure to get the right heightbearing. They make 2 differant heights of pillow block bearings. A bearing company sold me the wrong one on a Mini-Chief stumper and with the two different heights the shaft was off and ruined a $1,000. hyd. motor. Which they finally paid for.

If you have to replace pillow block bearings make sure to get the right heightbearing. They make 2 differant heights of pillow block bearings. A bearing company sold me the wrong one on a Mini-Chief stumper and with the two different heights the shaft was off and ruined a $1,000. hyd. motor. Which they finally paid for.

They make hundreds of different pillow block bearings, all similar but slight brand variations in height, width, and bolt patterns. They should always be changed in pairs also. Back on subject, try removing the belt covers and see if the noise is still there, I have also had some dirt sneak under the covers and cause problems. The covers will also get loose from vibration.

630a

See if the wheel didn't move over a fraction on the shaft. Or like was aforementioned a possibly bent rear chip cover from either left or right into remaining stump tweaked just enough to scrape. Take the tension off the belts and spin by hand and listen.

If it's bearings go to Northern Tool . Last ones I bought 2 inch size, about $ 16.00 apiece, plus shipping. They are still running after 2 years. We grease them every couple days ( so as not to blow the seals out ). The original Dodge Bearings were about $90.00 each.

Latest posts

Back