Vermeer Chipper BC 2000 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a BC2000 that started tripping the 150 amp circuit breaker this week. So far, I have replaced both batteries (cables and grounds look good), replaced the breaker, and looked for any chaffed or wires that might be grounding out.
Vermeer told me that it was probably the breaker but that did not fix the issue.
Here's what happens.

Machine starts and runs great for a few minutes. Whether it is under load or the clutch is engaged or not doesn't affect this. After a few minutes and at what I would consider operating temperature, the breaker trips and it kills the motor and all power to my gauges. After about 35 seconds, the breaker resets.

The electrical system on this machine is very simple but the fix is eluding me. Does anyone know if an engine temp sensor could trip the breaker? I know the engine is supposed to shut down at a certain temp but would that trip a breaker?
If this was a ground issue, it would need to be one of the heavy gauge grounds to trip that big of a breaker?

Any help would be appreciated.

Here to help

When the engine shuts down due to low oil pressure or high coolant temperature the amber information light on the back of the machine will flash slowly indicating that the engine shut down due to one of those two situations. The engine shutting down for one of those two reasons should not trip a breaker. I will look at an electircal schematic on Monday and report back some advice that will hopefully help resolve your issue.

Yellow dog mine did the same thing, if I remember correctly it was a little relay underneath. I can't remember exactly as it's been over three years. I do remember it baffled me pretty good but i figured it out the first day I just don't remember how. I will look at mine in The next day or so and let you know. If it's the same as mine it is an easy fix.

Yellow dog , have you got your machine fixed yet? I crawled under mine yesterday but didn't really have time to look, i am pretty sure it was a relay that i replaced by one from Car Quest so it should be a simple cheap fix. Seems if i remember correctly that it would run for A fewmminutes just like you described yours would and then shut off. I haven't had any problems with mine since. One more thing, what is the going hourly rate for these now? I'm doing a pretty big job for a fellow. I'd like to sell the machine because i am basically out of business but in this economy it's hard to sell without taking big loses, of course I bought when everything was bringing a premium.

Latest posts

Back