Vermeer sc502A gear box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CASADOR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The lower gear box and driveshaft went in my 2000 Vermeer SC502a. Vermeer wants $3700.00 to repair. $1700.00 being the cost of the lower gear box. Does anyone rebuild these things?I believe it is made by Comer Industries. The number embossed on the unit is 1278070100. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try contacting Comer Industries. If no luck go to a Motion Industries store and they can usually get about anything in gears, bearings etc.

You won't likely get any help from Comer, since they probably have an exclusive deal with vermeer. All of the bearings and seals can be found at a industrial supply shop or even a Napa auto parts. Remove the cutter wheel, and lower gearbox. Keep track of where each part and shim goes. Take the clean bearings and seals to a supplier and they can order them. Easy job, just take your time.

Comer does have an exclusive but I found a shop near me that will rebuild it. The service manager at Vermeer was good about me picking it up and having it rebuilt. They will install it for me after the rebuild. Thanks for the reply and and advice.

Thats funny that the vermeer dealer didnt offer to rebuild it for you...you can order parts for it through them too...

They would not rebuild it. The service manager advised me that they do not do rebuilds there.l

The lower gear box and driveshaft went in my 2000 Vermeer SC502a. Vermeer wants $3700.00 to repair. $1700.00 being the cost of the lower gear box. Does anyone rebuild these things?I believe it is made by Comer Industries. The number embossed on the unit is 1278070100. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can always buy the parts and try doing it yourself. It's a possibility the gearbox could be covered under warranty, look for any signs of a manufacturing defect and youaye be able to save some change

How did this work out for you? I have a sc502 with a vibration in the drivetrain, the driveshaft moves a lot through the inspection cover, so I'm thinking the bearing in the gearbox is bad.
I eventually had Vermeer repair it.the price came out to $3000.00 for a new lower gear box,drive shaft and upper gear box seals and fluids. I also had them install a new muffler.I bought the machine new in 2000 and this is the first major repair. the next thing to be replaced is the cutter wheel which is $1600.00 for the wheel and new yellow jacket teeth.I hope this helps I did spend a month trying to find someone to rebuild it but no local guys(New Jersey and Philadelphia) would do it.

I eventually had Vermeer repair it.the price came out to $3000.00 for a new lower gear box,drive shaft and upper gear box seals and fluids. I also had them install a new muffler.I bought the machine new in 2000 and this is the first major repair. the next thing to be replaced is the cutter wheel which is $1600.00 for the wheel and new yellow jacket teeth.I hope this helps I did spend a month trying to find someone to rebuild it but no local guys(New Jersey and Philadelphia) would do it.
What happened to the cutter wheel?

Buy the Green wheel, you won't regret it.
Priced around the same, cutters easy to sharpen and machine gets through the stumps up to 50 percent quicker. We have found grinder runs cooler and uses a lot less fuel.

Back