Very frustrated with my saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm well I think it was sorta pliable, but looks kinda dry rotted I think. I will let you know around 12ish. Thats when I can get a chance to look.

Bailey's - RK-14HU CARBURETOR KIT

OREGON#49-805#CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT TILLOTSON#Product Details

K&T Parts House - Tillotson Carburetor Kits - Cycle Carburetion : Carburetor Kits, Fuel Lines, Fuel Filters Chain Saw, Blowers, String Trimmers - Kit Carburetor Tillotson Rk-14hu Hu Series

And git yourself a can or two of carb cleaner. Make sure all the venturiis are clean. Pull the high and low jets completely out and givem the ports a few good shots with the straw. Soak the jets in carb cleaner (using a small container..ie..film canister or prescription bottle) for a few minutes. Clean em up good with a clean rag and reinstall. Seat them....dont over seat them....just until you feel resistance. Then turn each one out 1 full turn. This should be a good starting point for when you ready to fire it up. You may need to adjust em according to your fuel mixture which personally I like to run 50:1 using Stihl HP Ultra with 91 oct. Also, for every adjustment made to the low speed jet, you may need to re-adjust the idle screw and vice versa. Probably wont hurt to throw a new spark plug in there as well, that way you can tell how she's running...ie...too lean/too rich...blah blah blah.

Good luck and have fun.

No doubt she'll be running soon!!

Last edited:
Bailey's - RK-14HU CARBURETOR KIT

OREGON#49-805#CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT TILLOTSON#Product Details

K&T Parts House - Tillotson Carburetor Kits - Cycle Carburetion : Carburetor Kits, Fuel Lines, Fuel Filters Chain Saw, Blowers, String Trimmers - Kit Carburetor Tillotson Rk-14hu Hu Series

And git yourself a can or two of carb cleaner. Make sure all the venturiis are clean. Pull the high and low jets completely out and givem the ports a few good shots with the straw. Soak the jets in carb cleaner (using a small container..ie..film canister or prescription bottle) for a few minutes. Clean em up good with a clean rag and reinstall. Seat them....dont over seat them....just until you feel resistance. Then turn each one out 1 full turn. This should be a good starting point for when you ready to fire it up. You may need to adjust em according to your fuel mixture which personally I like to run 50:1 using Stihl HP Ultra with 91 oct. Also, for every adjustment made to the low speed jet, you may need to re-adjust the idle screw and vice versa. Probably wont hurt to throw a new spark plug in there as well, that way you can tell how she's running...ie...too lean/too rich...blah blah blah.

Good luck and have fun.

No doubt she'll be running soon!!

Thanks. how do you know those are the right kits for the carb? I heard they used a few different carbs for that model saw..?

I bet that's the problem. They have to be perfect to function properly.

Well, the pump diaphragm was pliable but it was like stuck in like the suction position sorta. i am able to move it back but if it moves back again it stays there. Do you think thats the problem right there? And, yea im planning on getting one of those kits Adirondackstihl. Thanks.

Ok, thanks guys. I will get a carb rebuild kit. But after, if for some reason that doesn't work either, what would be the next step? Besides checking the impulse line for cracks/tears/etc? Thanks.

I would climb to a hundred feet in a tree and drop it to the pavement then buy me a husky:)

noooooooo!

yes :)

002-5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. how do you know those are the right kits for the carb? I heard they used a few different carbs for that model saw..?

Well, the pump diaphragm was pliable but it was like stuck in like the suction position sorta. i am able to move it back but if it moves back again it stays there. Do you think thats the problem right there? And, yea im planning on getting one of those kits Adirondackstihl. Thanks.

Model Profile: 031 AV

Double check the carb prior to ordering a kit if youre not sure. Chances are its the Tillotson HU-3C......but I have seen stranger stuff happen.

With stiff diaphrams you can get it to run, just not real well. You need to correctly go through the carb FIRST!!! If you cannot get it to run at all, then you have a big major easily identifiable problem.

Go through the carb correctly!

ok ok ok ! lol :tongue2:

Yes, listen to Fish. He is urging you in the right direction. He knows of what he speaks!

I have read this whole thread, but being rather short on memory,,,,,,,,,,I appologize if these are repeats.

1. Have you looked at the gas line in the tank with a magnifying glass? (so to speak) Easy to miss a small leak in that very odd line. It is especially prone to crack on the top end where it goes into the tank. Yes, the big end where the fitting transfers to the piece of line that goes to the carb. If that white fitting does not make a good seal with the gas tank line,,,,instant leak!

2. Have you replaced or at least inspected the sponge filter on the end of the gas line in the tank? It has a nasty habit of disintegrating after 40 years, then gets in the carb causing all kinds of blockages.

3. Have you inspected the rubber intake "boot" that connects the carb to the cylinder? They can look ok, but have cracks when flexed. This was a major problem on the 030 model that was the precurser of your 031. I swore at many of those crappy boots!

Bob

Last edited:
my lines are fine, the filter was good, i don't think i saw a sponge in there. maybe its disintegrated completely? :confused: and i haven't really checked that boot good i"ll have a good look at it soon. Thanks for the idea!

Hey guys. I'm extremely sorry it took me this long to get back to you.. I've been pretty busy and stuff... But today i put some grease on the end of the impulse line, And pulled and it sucked it in!!! but i tried it again to be sure, and it didn't work. I realized the spark plug was a little loose (wasn't sure if that would have anything to do with it) i tightened it, tried it again, and it worked. I wanted to be sure, and again, it didn't work. most times its like sorta pushing the grease out it seems and not pulling it in... So what should I do now?? does that rule out that it's the vacuum and not the carburetor? Thanks.

Hey guys. I'm extremely sorry it took me this long to get back to you.. I've been pretty busy and stuff... But today i put some grease on the end of the impulse line, And pulled and it sucked it in!!! but i tried it again to be sure, and it didn't work. I realized the spark plug was a little loose (wasn't sure if that would have anything to do with it) i tightened it, tried it again, and it worked. I wanted to be sure, and again, it didn't work. most times its like sorta pushing the grease out it seems and not pulling it in... So what should I do now?? does that rule out that it's the vacuum and not the carburetor? Thanks.

Vac pressure test the saw or try a new impulse line.

Take your carb apart again and remove the spring/lever/needle, and while holding up to a light, look through the passage the needle was in,
it is probably clogged up bad.

Have you removed the muffler and taken a peek at the piston?

Hmm i dont have a vac pressure tester... i think i might try to take it to my local small engines shop to get it tested.

Back