Very light scoring on new piston. Looking for advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richen up the oil ratio and run it
YOU make good sense..One time I bought a used saw with LIGHT scoring. The guy had ran 50:1. I mixed 32:1 ran the saw rich and actually wore the piston and cylinder enough that within a year that it's kinda lap fitted..Now I use 40:1 and it's cutting like new..

Richen up the oil ratio and run it
I rebuilt a Husky 350 last spring with a new Hyway Piston/Cylinder with Caber rings. I loaned out the saw to a family member a few weeks back, and i'm pretty sure it was ran lean in cold weather. When I got the saw back a few days ago I checked the plug color and it was very light. So the next thing I did was pull the exhaust to check the piston. I saw a couple of faint scoring marks on it but the ring looks good. I know it probably wasn't the smartest decision in hind sight, but I had to fire it up to see how/if it would run, so I fattened up both jets, it fired right up, and I did a couple of test cuts in some soft wood after it was warm. The saw fired right up and ran/cut well. I had plans to do a lot of cutting here in the next couple of days, but now i'm not sure if that is a good idea. I would like some opinions as to whether or not I should pull the top end immediately to assess the situation, and possibly avoid more damage, or if it would be safe to run it the way it is since the scoring marks are very faint? Did I catch it in time?

Do any of ya'll have experience with running a saw that has minimal scoring? Thanks in advance

I can provide pics tomorrow if need be.
The operators manual recommended fuel is minimum 87 octane mixed at 50:1 ratio. Husqvarna and Echo oils have the best classification in the industry at a Jaso FD rating. Both manufacturer has their branded engineered fuel at 92+ octane (non ethanol ) and FD oil. True fuel is identical but at a better price point. If you intend to change the fuel ratio ( 40:1, 45:1, etc) then you will have to tune for that mixture. The more oil = leaner fuel mix and more heat! If you’re using 50:1 then fatten up the high jet a little and run it. I believe max rpm for the Husky 350 is 12000 rpm. Investing in a small digital tack is a must if you’re unsure of the saws high jet top speed. If you intend on storing your saw ,weed trimmer , blower etc run the TRUE FUEL through your equipment and put it away. Alcohol is the number one enemy!

Arborsite Lurker wrote this:
The more oil = leaner fuel mix and more heat!

Sounds strange but very true. Chainsaw operators forget this one and want to add more oil.
Why you ask. It's because gasoline hitting the piston is what keeps the piston cool.
Lean is lack of gas.

Technically, it is the fuel/oil mix hitting the cylinder that cools, and at the same jet settings, the same amount of fuel oil mix is being delivered to the engine and therefore exactly the same amount of cooling is happening.

You still need to richen up the mix a tad as with a lower percentage of fuel in the mix, the fuel/air ratio is leaner and therefore burns hotter. More heat, same cooling.
Richening up the mixture results in less heat and more cooling. Both good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So running a saw in cold weather can damage it? I run newer echos with regular style carbs.
Most manufacturers have some kind of provision or recommendations when operating in cold weather or below a specific ambient temperature. Some older Stihl like my Stihl 034S have shutters in the cylinder covers to allow warm/ hot air into the air box as well as blanking adapter for the air inlets of the recoil housing. My older Stihl ms210 and the new ms250’s have a black removable piece behind the carburetor and under the plug that if removed and is inverted allows warm air to the carb in cold weather. I’m not familiar with the Echo saw but I’m sure they have cold weather recommendations. As to operating ANY saw in cold weather the saw should be started and allowed to warm up properly before going into the wood. If the piston and cylinder doesn’t warm up together you develop what is cold a “ cold scuffing “ where the piston and cylinder are actually out of round do to heat and expansion. I’m sure air density is a factor as well in cooler weather as is altitude and sea level with carburetor jet adjustment.

When I mix my gas at 12to1 for my old Pioneer Da it lubes the engine just fine and if anybody trys to tell me I am running too lean a mix and I will probably burn out my saw due to the lean mix are dreaming in full color.Answer me this If i Screw the high speed needle in till the saw will barely run your saying it will seize from lack of oil because it is set too lean I think not.
If I follow your reasoning which is the oil is to thick to flow past the high speed needle what happens does all the oil pile up and fill the gas line and gas tank with the excess oil that can not get past the high speed jet because only the gas can get threw.
Many many more motors were killed from lean mixes than from rich mixes I have never saw a motor killed from too much oil.
No matter what oil to gas ratio you use you always tune your saw for the CONDITIONS THAT DAY.
Kash

Most manufacturers have some kind of provision or recommendations when operating in cold weather or below a specific ambient temperature. Some older Stihl like my Stihl 034S have shutters in the cylinder covers to allow warm/ hot air into the air box as well as blanking adapter for the air inlets of the recoil housing. My older Stihl ms210 and the new ms250’s have a black removable piece behind the carburetor and under the plug that if removed and is inverted allows warm air to the carb in cold weather. I’m not familiar with the Echo saw but I’m sure they have cold weather recommendations. As to operating ANY saw in cold weather the saw should be started and allowed to warm up properly before going into the wood. If the piston and cylinder doesn’t warm up together you develop what is cold a “ cold scuffing “ where the piston and cylinder are actually out of round do to heat and expansion. I’m sure air density is a factor as well in cooler weather as is altitude and sea level with carburetor jet adjustment.
That's to keep the carb from icing and doesn't negate the need to tune the carb for cold weather.

Arborsite Lurker wrote this:
The more oil = leaner fuel mix and more heat!

Sounds strange but very true. Chainsaw operators forget this one and want to add more oil.
Why you ask. It's because gasoline hitting the piston is what keeps the piston cool.
Lean is lack of gas.
Cooling effect doesnt happen "because gasoline is hitting the piston"....but "because residual/unburnt gasoline expands into the muffler".....

Its like at A/C unit when compressed air expands into your room and cools down your room....

I agree, run it. I keep a few Poulan Pro's around for people that are too cheap to buy their own. If it comes back dull or running poorly or not at all, they get the same saw the next time in the same condition.
Yeah, and fatten it up to it sounds like its off a plug, borrowers deserve it.
Along with a good muffler mod designed to make noise.

Cooling effect doesnt happen "because gasoline is hitting the piston"....but "because residual/unburnt gasoline expands into the muffler".....

Its like at A/C unit when compressed air expands into your room and cools down your room....
And, friction is what causes the unwanted heat in the first place,
and oil is the barrier we use to keep it under control, so yes, we need oil in there.

If its lean it can and cold makes them run lean. I never had that problem though.
I always try and tune saws for others on a clod morning, that way they will be richer when the heat rises, and it helps to tune at lower altitude too, again as the altitude rises their saw will be even richer, its the best you can do for someone when your not right there where they are cutting. I would rather have too rich a tune than take a chance on a lean tune, most home owners or even farmers and ground workers here just grab a saw, they have not the slightest idea of then something is not right, they will hang onto it until it dies, its too late then.

I always try and tune saws for others on a clod morning, that way they will be richer when the heat rises, and it helps to tune at lower altitude too, again as the altitude rises their saw will be even richer, its the best you can do for someone when your not right there where they are cutting. I would rather have too rich a tune than take a chance on a lean tune, most home owners or even farmers and ground workers here just grab a saw, they have not the slightest idea of then something is not right, they will hang onto it until it dies, its too late then.
Especially important if you are leaning on it hard in big stuff non stop.

I rebuilt a Husky 350 last spring with a new Hyway Piston/Cylinder with Caber rings. I loaned out the saw to a family member a few weeks back, and i'm pretty sure it was ran lean in cold weather. When I got the saw back a few days ago I checked the plug color and it was very light. So the next thing I did was pull the exhaust to check the piston. I saw a couple of faint scoring marks on it but the ring looks good. I know it probably wasn't the smartest decision in hind sight, but I had to fire it up to see how/if it would run, so I fattened up both jets, it fired right up, and I did a couple of test cuts in some soft wood after it was warm. The saw fired right up and ran/cut well. I had plans to do a lot of cutting here in the next couple of days, but now i'm not sure if that is a good idea. I would like some opinions as to whether or not I should pull the top end immediately to assess the situation, and possibly avoid more damage, or if it would be safe to run it the way it is since the scoring marks are very faint? Did I catch it in time?

Do any of ya'll have experience with running a saw that has minimal scoring? Thanks in advance

I can provide pics tomorrow if need be.
Very generally!
If the scoremarks are on the skirt it is an oil issue.
If the scoremarks are at the top side of piston that is a heat issue.
If you change the fuel/oil ration, you have to re-jet.
If the plug is white, could be too hot a plug or too lean fuel air.

Latest posts

Back