Video How To's - Echo Carb & Echaust Mod - CS400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinko

City Slicker Hacker
Reaction score
So 2 weeks ago I did the carburetor adjustment and muffler modification for my Echo CS400, and as the CS400 is a bit different then the other Chainsaw mod videos on YouTube, I decided it may be beneficial to record it.

So any one you might want to spice up their little home maker echo... here's 2 quick videos to do it.

Noticeable improvement, and very easy to do.

Echo – CS400 Carb Adjustment Mod

Echo – CS400 Muffler Mod

Nice videos! I just did my dads cs341 and when I gave it back he asked me what I did to the chain? I said why? He said it never cut so good before! The mods are totally worth it

By the way your tire is flat

I'm just glad its not to much louder, its a win win for sure in my book.

ps the flat tire is on a 69 vw dune buggy project that's been on hold, the five lug conversion and a set of nice vett tires are sitting in the basement waiting for me and my father in law to have some time... hopefully once i got the property I'm working on where i need it to be it will give me sometime to start back on that buggy.

I'm just glad its not to much louder, its a win win for sure in my book.

ps the flat tire is on a 69 vw dune buggy project that's been on hold, the five lug conversion and a set of nice vett tires are sitting in the basement waiting for me and my father in law to have some time... hopefully once i got the property I'm working on where i need it to be it will give me sometime to start back on that buggy.
Cool! You gonna make a dirt track?

Is that why you didn't take the cat out completely? Or open the exit port all the way?
Exactly! I have found that with all the 2 stroke engines I have worked with (though not chainsaws specifically) I always reach some panicle of noise to power ratio, where at some point I beginning creating a much louder decibel sound with very minimal increase in performance. A straight line of sight and a 30%+/-increase in opening diameter was all I wanted. I can noticibally tell the increase in performance and on the opposite end of the spectrum, have a very little noticeable increase in noise. Is there possibly a 2 or 3% increase of power left behind? Possibly… but 2% is not worth a 20%+/- increase in noise, It aint going to the drag strip..lol

Cool! You gonna make a dirt track?
I wish! No the property is for an investment or possibly future summer home. The house plans are laid out for the place... but not sure which route we are going to pursue... It might just become a camping area with a fire pit and a few beer coolers..lol

Where you gonna drive the dune buggy?

Cousins own a lot of property out in WV with some pretty nice open trails if I decided to go the true buggy route... but I'm actually planning on getting this street legal and just popping over to OC for the bugouts.

i ALWAYS take the cats all the way out,,, by only just drilling a hole through the cat does not do a whole lot of good,,, it needs to come completely out

I hear ya, like I said u know there might be still a little performance left removing all of the baffling... but I in this case specifically I was trying to balance sound and performance.

I've done a lot of 2 stoke systems on the dyno for dirt bikes and time and time again ill see a huge jump in a direct link out... but fully open on exhaust you will gain very little additional power and also in alot of cases actually lose engine torque.... grant it it will still be better then stock... but if you had three 2 strokes, 1 being stock, 1 being modded with a direct line of exhaust flow and one being fully open, you would more then likely see that the numbers between the "half open" and the "full open" are way closer together then the gap between stock and "half open".

Sound does not always equate to power.

And I know I may be comparing apples to oranges...because obviously chainsaws are a new hobby to me..but I just wanted to state the reasoning behind it..lol

[Is the 341 a front mount carb? If so there is a lot more to be had out of that saw QUOTE="Paragon Builder, post: 5413509, member: 126803"]Nice videos! I just did my dads cs341 and when I gave it back he asked me what I did to the chain? I said why? He said it never cut so good before! The mods are totally worth it

By the way your tire is flat[/QUOTE]

And I know I may be comparing apples to oranges...because obviously chainsaws are a new hobby to me..but I just wanted to state the reasoning behind it..lol
Don't forget chainsaws aren't piped so they are very different than bikes.

[Is the 341 a front mount carb? If so there is a lot more to be had out of that saw QUOTE="Paragon Builder, post: 5413509, member: 126803"]Nice videos! I just did my dads cs341 and when I gave it back he asked me what I did to the chain? I said why? He said it never cut so good before! The mods are totally worth it

By the way your tire is flat
[/QUOTE]
Yes it's a front mount carb. So where are the gains I'm missing?

db847d0a548b43ccb3952cd27acc4d84.jpg
f6438d6cdd1950cfe165c5fcf92cd34d.jpg

CS-400 muffler & CS-310 muffler
I prefer to take all the cat material out. If you do that you don't have to drill a short cut through the muffler with not much gain in noise. The front part of the cat tube has a couple of 3/8" or so holes where the exhaust is routed to the larger part of the can so some back pressure is maintained. When drilling the cat it's pretty easy to mangle enough of the material resulting in plugging enough of it to offset any flow gains you'd get by drilling the shortcut.

It's interesting why the CS-310 muffler has no restrictor plate along with my CS-352 & CS-370, while the CS-400 does. Looks like they are the same muffler otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound does not always equate to power.
I agree with that, and I don't do straight through mufflers. In fact I always try to have the longest path length through the muffler while still removing restriction. However, I have found that if you leave some of the cat material in the can you will still have a major heat problem.

Cats on 2-strokes with high scavenging losses combined with these awfully inaccurate fuel systems are gross - it's like putting a band-aid on a chest wound.

Latest posts

Back