video of me running my MS660 in Texas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(2) The felling cut (#3) was a little low. Always be sure that it's an inch or two above the point of the wedge to make a hinge. Otherwise, the tree can flip back on you.

umm, no... When pulling with hay wire (rope in your case) and a piece of equipment (people in your case) the back cut should be about an inch or so lower than the mouth cut.. So good Job on the back cut wether you intended it or not.

Tzed: I just had to wrap in a line about the 660 vs 395 in the text for plain fun, but as always the Sihlhead's eyes were open :hmm3grin2orange:

we know you peter399,,,,,,,,:buttkick: :givebeer: :cheers: LOLOL!!!!

first of thanks for your service...

second agree with everything said, but add 2 tihings/possibilities...

(im just guessing what might be going on here)either you are pushing the chain in hard or the chain is so agressive its pulling the saw in the boggin, but either way the dawgs definantly help

(personel preference)and as for me, i NEVER walk on the same side as the face cut just as a precaution, unless i have to, but i dont think it mattered here ....

also, take Rat up on his offer, youll never meet a greater and more helpful person.

God Bless!!!

p.s. where in texas was this....most likely around sea level id imagine, so if you do get it tuned while here, make sure altitude isn't a big diference when you go back....and get Rat to show you what 4-stroking is incase altitude is a problem

Amarillo is a bit over sea level BP!!!!!! LOLOL!!!!! Amarillo elevation is 3500 - 3672 feet above sea level. ...
LOL!!!!!

Last edited:
First, congrats on posting your vid on here, takes balls and brains to put yourself out there infront of your peers. Onya mate.

I think you were a little nervous with the camera going maybe. Good sawing is like good shooting, it should be first safe, then smooth and consistant. Speed should come last once everything else is covered. Theres not problem in your cutting that cant be fixed with practise and good advice.

The two main things were incorrect technique and the fact that the saw seems a little big/heavy for you to be learning this with. These two things put together is a recipe for trouble. I think youd learn better using a smaller saw, even if you have to come in from both sides, it will get your technique improved faster and give you a better feel so when you pick up the 66 to learn its evil ways its an easier progression.

Start the saw with the brake on, doesnt hurt the saw and will save on chain damage should it hit something on start up (including you). When we start saws standing we do a crutch start. Its safe and at least it makes you look like your in control.-heres how to do it-

Stand with your feet about a foot apart hold handlebar of saw in your left hand.
step forward with your right foot about a 6 to 12 inches.
place the rear handle between your legs and rest it under your right thigh
Make sure brake is on, left hand is holding tight on handlebar, using other hand to pull on starter.

Theres been some good advice given here, especially about moving around with a saw with the chain spinning. Chain should only spin in wood. at about 1.31 it looked like you blipped and contacted the trunk as you pushed the saw foward to get into the scarf. To close to kickback

You moved your hands alot with the saw cutting, and had them all over the handlebar, even swapping them as you cut. To be avoided.

Slow it down and make it smooth, take your time, get it right once. Dont be a blipper unless the brakes on.

Last edited:
well i am in tennesee right now using the free wi-fi here. i got a oregen clone of the granberg file joint . thanks for the tips and advice. a sure appreciate it.hopefully i get to NC tonight. well i gotta go traffic is picking up here towards jackson.

Last edited:
Amarillo is a bit over sea level BP!!!!!! LOLOL!!!!! Amarillo elevation is 3500 - 3672 feet above sea level. ...
LOL!!!!!
whoops!!! i didn't hear where he was at but i just figured he was somewhere where IKE went and most destruction was lower eastside of texas....either way, really nice saw!

RAT, did you ever get my PM's???

really, i hope so. anyway i am at super 8 at winston salem getting some sleep and a few hours back to the Marine Corps and the routine

Im home in Lejeune. I got to figure on how to store my saws in the barracks room. I will start cutting soon when i get checked back to Maintannce batallion:cry: I really dont want to go back there but i will fight to deploy as soon as possible

(1) Your felling wedge was cut way too deep. Had the tree been full height, it may have gone down by itself and on top of you. You only need to cut about 1/4 to 1/3 the way through the trunk--never more than half.

(2) The felling cut (#3) was a little low. Always be sure that it's an inch or two above the point of the wedge to make a hinge. Otherwise, the tree can flip back on you.

(3) Always wear ear and eye protection.

Keep up the good positive attitude!

+1

Ported chainsaws??

When I'm om UTUBE there are some cutting oak logs with ported saws, What does that mean and is that good for a farmboss MS290??

WEll i got my chained sharpened and i richened the h jet a little. I t cuts alot better now. Now on payday, i need to file my depth gauges a little, and order the DP muffer.

Well youre off to a good start just remember safety first. Everybody here wants to help keep you safe and there has been some wonderful info. Keep at it practice makes perfect. On another note my best friend was in a recon platoon out of Camp Lejeune dont know exactly what he did he wont talk about it but he really loved the Corp he has talked about going back in. I just want to say thanks for all your hard work and for serving our great country.

Be safe.

Thanks bu tommorow i have to go to a Huqvarna dealer and do their demo days. I will be grilling that alesman with my knowledge of saws and i will let yall know.

Latest posts

Back