view from the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you get any of that storm on Wed? Played hell on some fields of corn around me. What was over my head is now down by my knees. Luckily we didn't get hammered bent some over but not a whole field.

Nice looking crop Steve. My Corn didn't turn out good at all this year. 1st planting was a wash. 2nd go round flat out didn't produce worth a flip. Purple Hull Peas and Squash are making more than I need.

Did you get any of that storm on Wed? Played hell on some fields of corn around me. What was over my head is now down by my knees. Luckily we didn't get hammered bent some over but not a whole field.

no thank goodness. don't mind t-storms but i hate the wind.did see some wheat fields that got flattened.guys wre out combining till late last nite as we are getting rain today.

My squash is pitiful. The local garden expert says it's been so wet the plants that has to have pollination have not had that because it's been so wet. In a 3 week period, we' had one spout of 36 hours with sun and no water falling. It is raining somewhat everyday.

That corn, look mighty fine to me. I'm not a drinker, but fresh water does sound good.:msp_smile:

*sigh*...need to plant my fall crops (probably a bit late to expect much).

Plus I have freaky cauliflowers -- planted in spring, no bug damage (spritzed with Bt a couple times when I saw some damage starting), getting huge...and not flowering!

getting an early start with some above avg. temps the last few days. got some ground ready for the first patch of sweet corn yesterday.
20160311_134635_resized.jpg

I wish I had dirt like that here, If we plow or chisel here now the ground will run back together after a big rain, and we would have to do it all over again. that is why we plow only a couple weeks before we plant. we have the grey nason tatum soil here, all mud in winter, dry as a bone in summer.
( we call it craw fish land )

yesterdays tractor time. moldboard plowing for this years pepper patch and disking for the first patch of sweet corn that i might try to plant next week if the warm weather hold out.

Attachments

• 20160414_104950.jpg
    20160414_104950.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20160414_135505.jpg
    20160414_135505.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
How many acres of corn and pepper do you plant?
I didn't realize pepper could be grown in the US. Google says IndIA and Vietnam.

this HTML class. Value is https://en.m.wikiped

ADMIN... PLEASE FIX THE DAMN BOARD! WHY ARE LINKS LIKE THAT?

How many acres of corn and pepper do you plant?
I didn't realize pepper could be grown in the US. Google says IndIA and Vietnam.

this HTML class. Value is https://en.m.wikiped

ADMIN... PLEASE FIX THE DAMN BOARD! WHY ARE LINKS LIKE THAT?
bell peppers VF. about 6 acres of sweet corn.

what is the big house on the far right?? Stinking hogs or stinking chickens ???????????
chickens. organic broilers. and believe it or not hardly ever smell anything unless i'm sitting in a treestand in the woods behind them. and free manure if i need it.

I take it sweet corn is just a minor thing you farm?

The small farmers here plant 40-50 acres of crops, bigger farmers 300-400 acres. (Farming and farmland here isn't like the megafarms of the states. Alot of times cheaper to get from L48 than grow or raise in state too).

The farm next door does carrots, taters, cabbage, brocilli, greens, strawberries, squash, and maybe a bit more i foget. Taters and carrots the main crops, about 300 acres between everything and some greenhouses.

I guess... what else do you farm is my question... or is farming just a hobby vs occupation?

I take it sweet corn is just a minor thing you farm then? Even the small farmers here plant 40-50 acres of crops. Or do you do dairy cows/meat?

I guess... what else do you farm is my question.
the sweet corn acreage is broken down into into about 15 patches spread out for july to october picking. i pick 90% of it myself so it's major for a 1 man op. most of i sell retail at my farm market. i also grow peppers,tomatoes,zucchini,green beans and all the cole crops. i have about 20 head of sheep that i use to raise lambs for market. we also bale about 10 acres of hay 2-3 cuttings per year. cut and sell firewood in the winter.

Back