Vine ID......who wants to cut this fencerow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
I have a fencerow to remove and she is looking ugly, itchy, and scratchy. I need some folks that truly know vines to take a look at these. I will post them from my phone.

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_191744645.jpg
    IMG_20230510_191744645.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230510_191738976.jpg
    IMG_20230510_191738976.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230510_191724974.jpg
    IMG_20230510_191724974.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230510_191718404.jpg
    IMG_20230510_191718404.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
More

Attachments

• IMG_20230510_191638071.jpg
    IMG_20230510_191638071.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230510_191645434.jpg
    IMG_20230510_191645434.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230510_191656005.jpg
    IMG_20230510_191656005.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230510_191718404.jpg
    IMG_20230510_191718404.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
It's full of poison Ivy..... possibly some Virginia creeper mixed in. Looks like a fun day. Nothing you don't see every day in fence rows and trees just off clearings around here. If you get the rash knock it over with a hoe or something.
Edit: Actually I'd just cut off the stuff with the pole saw or machete then fell like normal, but I don't get a real bad reaction to poison.

In all the decades the good lord has allowed me to be on earth I have for the most part never paid any bit attention to vines. I dove in and cut them then in about 2010 I was cutting a load of logs for a saw race/GTG and got into some nasty vines. Lets just say it made that show interesting

I would also spray it, wait 2 weeks then reapply then wait for it to die before manually removing the dead vines or use a mini ex with thumb bucket to pull out then stuff in a dump trailer. U start cutting that and the chip dust and sap gets air born

In all the decades the good lord has allowed me to be on earth I have for the most part never paid any bit attention to vines. I dove in and cut them then in about 2010 I was cutting a load of logs for a saw race/GTG and got into some nasty vines. Lets just say it made that show interesting
Don't go near it, bill sprayed or not!

@Bill G I'll add this...if you were within 10ft of that established poison ivy vine, the oil is already on your shoes. If you get down to ground level and look real close, you will most likely find young sprouts with 3 leaves on them blending in and hiding in the grass. Sometimes I'll get a spot on of rash on my hand knowing I never came in contact with any vines, mystery ivy rash. Well, its from walking through the grass(hidden P.I.), getting the oil on your shoes/boots and when you take them off, its on your hands now. Mystery solved!

@Bill G I'll add this...if you were within 10ft of that established poison ivy vine, the oil is already on your shoes. If you get down to ground level and look real close, you will most likely find young sprouts with 3 leaves on them blending in and hiding in the grass. Sometimes I'll get a spot on of rash on my hand knowing I never came in contact with any vines, mystery ivy rash. Well, its from walking through the grass(hidden P.I.), getting the oil on your shoes/boots and when you take them off, its on your hands now. Mystery solved!
10 feet, heck the gate I go through each night into a pasture butts to that post. I no longer chain it as the cows will never know the change is off

Some 30 years ago, my late kid brother and i were building decks & other outdoor structures in DC.

One day we noticed a couple young South Americans doing yardwork at the house next lot over to where we were working. They were getting toward a well developed poison ivy area that had apparently been neglected by the owners for years & stripping leaves and pulling vines with bare hands. We went over and tried to make them aware of the hazards, because the way they were working it clearly meant nothing to them. We finally made them understand that it would itch and burn them if they just dove in, shredded it with vines over their heads, & took no precautions. I thought it was downright devious of their boss to palm it off on a couple obvious newbies with no lecture or equipment/protective gear etc. Maybe it was a new contract and he didn't know any better either.

They must have got a rudimentary understanding of what we were trying to explain, because a little later my brother was running over and chewing them out - They had started sneaking up on each other and stuffing wads of leaves up the other guy's t-shirt. Paybacks being what they are, it was soon being stuffed down the other guy's pants! We both tried to get them to understand that this was not going to be funny, but they were long past it. Kid's being kids, two clueless gringos were not going to spoil their fun.

In my memory, neither one made it back before we finished the deck. My brother said he saw one a week or so later on another job and he still had swollen eyes and looked pretty sorry.

smt

Three leaflets are Poison Ivy,
That was always my thought...leaves of three leave it be...
There are some "leaves of three" that look like poison ivy but are not. The telltale for me is the alternating groups of leaves along the main vine. The lookalikes will have the groups of three leaves directly opposite each other. Yours is clearly alternating...

We have used the ivy killer commonly available at Home Depot and similar stores with good success but it has to be reapplied for several weeks. That doesn't neutralize the oil, though, just kills the plant and stops it from spreading. The oil remain for a long time and still cause a reaction for those that are sensitive to it. I got it bad one year after wee whipping an area on our property that had no apparent active ivy.

I typically follow the scrubbing methodology if I think I may have come into contact. Take a wash cloth in the shower (or with a hose) and scrubb aggressively using soap. You need to really dig in to get all the oil off... I have been reaction free after following this advice, knock on wood...

I see I picked up a troll a couple posts back........If only Glyphosate will kill them also it would be great.

There are some "leaves of three" that look like poison ivy but are not. The telltale for me is the alternating groups of leaves along the main vine. The lookalikes will have the groups of three leaves directly opposite each other. Yours is clearly alternating...

We have used the ivy killer commonly available at Home Depot and similar stores with good success but it has to be reapplied for several weeks. That doesn't neutralize the oil, though, just kills the plant and stops it from spreading. The oil remain for a long time and still cause a reaction for those that are sensitive to it. I got it bad one year after wee whipping an area on our property that had no apparent active ivy.

I typically follow the scrubbing methodology if I think I may have come into contact. Take a wash cloth in the shower (or with a hose) and scrubb aggressively using soap. You need to really dig in to get all the oil off... I have been reaction free after following this advice, knock on wood...
I can kill it with no problem. The problem is the removal and burning. Those will both be problematic.

The problem is the removal and burning. Those will both be problematic.
Got ya... I wouldn't burn it. I have always killed it, removed it, and put it one of my decomp piles in the woods. To date I have not seen any of it return (either in the spot I pulled it from or placed the remains).

Smaller plants we have bagged and thrown in the trash.

Got ya... I wouldn't burn it. I have always killed it, removed it, and put it one of my decomp piles in the woods. To date I have not seen any of it return (either in the spot I pulled it from or placed the remains).

Smaller plants we have bagged and thrown in the trash.
I have yet to find a weed or any plant that I cannot kill. It is getting it out and getting rid of it. I pretty much burn everything. If I doze it in the ditch it will disturb the pasture near it and cause a washout.

Back