Vintage Saws still in service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmellslikeCedar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering who had the oldest saw still being used?
Ive got a 74 Poulan S25 that has cut at least 6 cords a year since 1980.
I bought it used,needed a oil diapragm.Guy though it was locked up.
I retired it this year with a poulan pro295 and an old Stihl 024.

The Super Pro 60 and 70 of mine has been in continuous use since my dad bought them new in the mid-70's.

My 80 year old dad dad still uses his 015 he bought new in the late 70s (or early 80's)--it's about the only saw he uses anymore! :chainsaw:

Casey

I just repaired the rewind on my 82 year old grandfathers Homelite 150 Automatic he's own since new.
The hardware store he owned from the 70's to 90's was a Homelite and Poulan dealer, so he bought the 150 brand new.
He doesn't like it when I make fun of Poulans and Homelites since he sold them for 20+ years.

My Mac110 went to work in 1978.

Welcome to AS!!!

Early 70's Homelite Super EZ

I bought a Homelite Super EZ in about 1970 and built barns with it, cut hedge posts, heated my house with wood for ten years, trimmed brush and trees and general small farm work. It has the original bar, has had one set of points and one carb kit. The compression is about 175psi. I have tried to maintain it well and keep it sharpened but have used various two stroke oils in it including outboard oil over it's life. It's really been a good saw. The dealer did do a little file work on the exhaust ports when it had about 5 hours on it. I put electronic ignition on it this summer.

I have a C5 Homelite my dad bought new back in the early 60s, it has a 28" bar on it and I still run it on those occasions when I need the length.

My dad cuts firewood now with a 1970's vintage mac 10-10, I have a Pro mac 10-10 too that use from time to time. Both of these saws were bought from CL in the last year so they can't count as having been in service since then but they are good old saws with good power.

Dad also has a mid 1980s Homelite 240 he has been using since then, still works!

I resurrected dad's old Zip (1960) & used it for a while. I gave it to another AS member a few years back.
I still run the old PM655 (1980).

1955 mac model 73. Used about 6 or 7 times a year for stumps and rail road ties. The 1/2 pitch chipper chain seems to be more durable in those dirty conditions.

Last edited:
1948 Titan 200 and its sister saw Titan sportsman, run and cut with them every chance I get, usually 4-5 times a year.

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

I've got an old McCulloch 250 w/ a 24" bar that still runs good but I have'nt used it since I got my 288

Fired up my SEZ just about an hour ago to cut up about 4 wheelbarrows of wood for the stove.

Its about 8 degrees outside & the wind is at least 25 MPH

The old Homie fired up in about 7 pulls & ran great after I let it idle for a few to warm up.

I still have a few SXL 925's & a Mac 800 that I use & of course a few SXL'S

I bought a Homelite Super EZ in about 1970 and built barns with it, cut hedge posts, heated my house with wood for ten years, trimmed brush and trees and general small farm work. It has the original bar, has had one set of points and one carb kit. The compression is about 175psi. I have tried to maintain it well and keep it sharpened but have used various two stroke oils in it including outboard oil over it's life. It's really been a good saw. The dealer did do a little file work on the exhaust ports when it had about 5 hours on it. I put electronic ignition on it this summer.

I for one think the S25 is one of the all time great saws.
Just well built little runners.

I don't want to list all my 70's-80's runners but I use them all from time to time. In fact that's mostly what I have. There were some great saws made in that era.

I worked over a PP295 awhile ago for a friend. Opened up the muffler quite a bit, retuned the carb, took the too long 20" bar off of it and swaped it for a 16" with 20lp chain and I have to say it's a completly different acting saw. Not really too bad. Seems the original oilers go out early but the replacements are a differnt color and a little different design that holds up better. Just make sure to keep the chain sharp and don't let a bunch of crud build up in the oiler area.

Last edited:
What's really sad too is that the 'Big Three' really innovated small engine industrial applications and produced some of the finest products on the planet in their day. If only management had known to quit when they were ahead...

Well just to keep this thread afloat I thought that I would mention that I have 40 + vintage saws rarin and ready to go out and cut wood at any time day or night for that matter. They may be old but they run like new and will cut just like they were intended to do, they are loud, vibrate badly and are heavy by todays standards, also a lot slower but they get the job done. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Back