Vintage Saws still in service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JOBU L6 made in Norway

Been strong since 1970. Hardly anyone even knows anything about one. I have all makes and if the old JOBU had antivibe I would not even break out the others. 3.4 c.i. if I remember right. Anyone else out there got one?

Mine's the oldest

OK, I cheated. But it's still in use. It had been a top saw, but I rehandled it for my needs and use it all the time. Never runs out of gas (though sometines the sawyer does).

OK, I cheated. But it's still in use. It had been a top saw, but I rehandled it for my needs and use it all the time. Never runs out of gas (though sometines the sawyer does).

I have a diston misery whip as well as a topping saw of simular vintage and an old japanese pre war 2.5 foot forestry saw, Im not a real patient person when it comes to fixing or working on stuff so sometimes when I am just in a bad mood with saw ownership, I get out one of the whips and cut a few logs. Soon makes the time fixing and servicing chainsaws well worth it!

Although I never really think of it as "vintage", our old 480CD is still in service, and runs as good as the day it was purchased. I bought it the year Deb and I got married, 1980, new, from a dealer. It has never been out of service, or required any repair parts, not even a carburetor kit, fuel line, etc.

The only item ever requiring attenion was that the end of the throttle shaft got loose once where it was staked on, and had to be brazed in place.

It has so many hours on it, every single time I use it, I wonder why it still runs so well, and hope it just keeps on going. Ya, I know, it's not an overly powerful saw, somewhat heavy, and not even all that popular, but it's still going strong after 29 years of continuous service!.......Cliff

If only management had known to quit when they were ahead...

I think the problem was they did quit (innovating) when they were ahead... and the world passed them by with lighter, smoother, faster, safer...

I've got a Husky L65 that is used almost every weekend since I bought it back in Aug. or Sep. Got her for $100 and she's earned her keep many times over. Also use a 2100, although she doesn't see much use now that I got a 288xp. Dad has a L77 that he's had forever and I would use it too if the A/V-mounts wern't so bad. A friend has a pair of Homelite Zips, 1 runs, 1 for parts, and a Homelite 360 he's trying to get going. Also I have a Mac 2-10 floating around here, can get it to fire but it won't stay running, so it's my rainy day project.

Husqvarna: 137, 61 (in pieces-yet), L65, 288xp, 2100CD
McCulloch: Mac 2-10 (won't stay running-rainy day project)

1966 or 67 (have to check) Homelite "Old Blue" Super XL. Don't use much but still running and fun to play with once in a while.

1970 or so Homelite XL 400 cut this 30" oak off -
coak7.jpg

I have quite a few saws in my personal collection that have been restored and that i use every year. There are too many to names but you can see them running .....i do make the videos when i get a chance....it is very time consuming....but on the right hand side under "saws in action" ...you can hear those ......EVEN a BP1.

Alain, www.vintagechainsawcollection.blogspot.com

I use a Stihl 07S on a regular basis. My modern (expensive) saws are chained up in the garage, and for quick cutting jobs, I'll take the 07S which sits on the workbench. I'm guessing that no one (outside of a collector) would steal it, assuming that it was old and useless. And I'm hoping that collectors wouldn't be stealing chainsaws anyway....

Now this thread has me wanting to go ot and make some noise, despite the crummy weather.

I've got a half dozen XL12's of various vintage. (They just keep showing up) One is a real early one with the straight port muffler. Brought it to my GTG and it would have impressed everyone but the points started breaking up halfway through the first cut. :mad:

Three Macs, 7-10A, Mac 60, and ProMac 850, my favorite. I do like to run these things now and then, and usually always take an oldie along with the newer saws. I think that these old saws are still viable tools for cutting firewood. I wouldn't want to use them in a professional/all day long environment, but to cut a pick up truck load or so, they're fun to run. :cheers:

Not quite as old, are my four 041's, one of which is a Super, and one of the regulars is practically mint. I've got plenty of old Jonsereds, including four 49SP's. One of the 49's gets as much use as any of my new stuff. To me, these saws just don't seem all that dated. One of the 041's also gets used a fair amount.

I'm lookin' out the window now. If the rain stops I'm going out.

The first saw I bought was a Husky L77,1978, for 495.00. used the saw for two years logging, since then use the saw for serious firewood cutting. :)

here are the saw's i inherrited from my dad after he passed, homelite vi-200 runs like a scalded dawg, 6-60 running before restoration, echo 650-evl runs not well needs a carb kit.

tuning

What are your adjustment screws set at with your super ez in that cold weather, also whats your elevation. I'm in Portland Oregon so I'm as high as a snake's butt.

Fired up my SEZ just about an hour ago to cut up about 4 wheelbarrows of wood for the stove.

Its about 8 degrees outside & the wind is at least 25 MPH

The old Homie fired up in about 7 pulls & ran great after I let it idle for a few to warm up.

I still have a few SXL 925's & a Mac 800 that I use & of course a few SXL'S

I have older saws but i look after them and have turn about running them except the 400 that just sits on the shelf . I get a lot of stick from my brother who has a pair of new stihls, He says they should belong in a muesum ,or if i need parts try the musuem

Last edited:
Vintage saws have done the bulk of the heavy lifting around here for 8 years. A review of some images I posted here over the years....to remind me what did the realy work as I move to newer, lighter, and smoother pastures!

Me getting raw material for fence post last year and "quartering" to make line posts. This time with my trusty Homelite XL903. My wife and I eventually built 23,000 ft of fence over three years and over 80 acres of horse pasture & other typical work for this place....still done at times with vintage Homie's

picture.php

A few years ago taking ash and milling them to planks for horse stalls.

picture.php

And what those slabs looked like (I had posted these at that time as well)

picture.php

Me three or four four years ago getting firewood

picture.php

Last edited:
Back