Vintage sears saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y2g

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got a vintage sears chainsaw model 917.60043 and was wondering how to adjust the carb on it? It runs but i want to make sure it is adjusted properly, as i had to play with the screws to get it going. And what are the specs on this saw? cc's rpm etc. and what would be the biggest bar i can put on this saw. It will be used ocassionally for cutting big stuff if i can get a big bar for it. And what would this be worth?? I got it for free!

Your best bet is to buy a newer (safer) saw. A newer one would be easier to handle, have more power for the weight, and would have a chainbrake.

Since your saw runs, it likely has *some* collector value, and there are quite a few collectors out there. You may even want to strip it down, clean it, and give it a nice factory spec paintjob.

Parts for your saw would likely be next to impossible to find, and I doubt you'd find much in the way of attachments to fit it correctly.

That said, it's a nice example of vintage 'iron', and looks like it's in pretty good shape. I wouldn't use one on a day-to-day basis, but those oldies sure can be fun to play with now and then!

Last edited:
Specs, courtesy of Mike Acres (www.acresinternet.com)

MANUFACTURED BY: CRAFTSMAN (SEARS ROEBUCK & CO.)
CHICAGO, IL U.S.A.
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER: 917.60043
YEAR INTRODUCED:
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 4.7 cu. in. (77cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 2.0 in. (50.8 mm)
PISTON STROKE: 1.5 in. (38 mm)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with cast iron sleeve
INTAKE METHOD: Reed valves
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 4.0
WEIGHT : 21.2 lbs. powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Rigid
CHAIN BRAKE: none
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Direct
CONSTRUCTION: Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: Phelon
CARBURETOR: Power Products diaphragm type
MAJOR REPAIR KIT:
MINOR REPAIR KIT:
AIR FILTER SYSTEM: Skinner ribbon element
STARTER TYPE: Power Producst automatic rewind
OIL PUMP: Manual
OPERATING RPM: 4,500
IGNITION TIMING: 0.175 in. (4.44 mm) before TDC
BREAKER POINT SETTING: 0.020 in. (0.51 mm)
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP: fixed
SPARK PLUG TYPE: Champion J8J, Autolite A7X, AC M45
SPARK PLUG GAP: 0.030 in. (0.76 mm)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS: Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY:
FUEL OIL RATIO: 1/2 pint to 1 gallon (16:1)
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: Two-cycle mix oil
CHAIN PITCH: 7/16 in.
CHAIN TYPE: Oregon
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 16 in. (40 cm)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 24 in. (61 cm)
COLOUR SCHEME: Metallic Grey enamel
PAINT CODES:

Thank you much for the info!! I know it is not the safest saw on the planet but will tinker with it ocassionally just for a change.

old sears

How's the fuel filter on old blue? Do you want to buy another one?

I don't even know where the fuel filter is. LOL there is not one in the line to the carb. I will pass on buying another one i am not a collector and may be fixing this one up and selling it.

I have a slightly newer Sears saw (orange in color) that looks just like that saw. It turns heads when you run it, but it weighs a ton, it is loud as he**, and slow. My saw has a 18" B+C on it.

filter

I'm going to let you find the filter and my bet is it is as hard as a rock, it's supposed to be soft and pass fuel through. Mine runs and weighs a ton. Hasn't been out in the wood in years. When I got it the fuel filter was solid as a rock and would not let fuel through.

Latest posts

Back