Vinyl truck lettering

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
advertising

Here's a question, due to having signs and your phone number on the vehicle where people can see them when your driving do they associate you with killing trees and then the phone rings non stop from tree huggers screaming at you to stop killing thier precious trees??? One company told me they've even had beer bottles thrown at the windows while driving and to never put anything on the back of a vehicle, only the sides but it was a recogination thing becasue all the vehicles were the same color and to put logos on machines instead with phone numbers on those were more important. As of yet we have nothing on the pickkups but all equipment have logos with numbers and the semis and the service trucks. I was just wondering if anybodys had trouble with these things. I did a job for a town one time that the town cop was parked all night beside my equipment to insure nothing happened to it by tree huggers, has anybody else had problems????

Here's a question, due to having signs and your phone number on the vehicle where people can see them when your driving do they associate you with killing trees and then the phone rings non stop from tree huggers screaming at you to stop killing thier precious trees??? One company told me they've even had beer bottles thrown at the windows while driving and to never put anything on the back of a vehicle, only the sides but it was a recogination thing becasue all the vehicles were the same color and to put logos on machines instead with phone numbers on those were more important. As of yet we have nothing on the pickkups but all equipment have logos with numbers and the semis and the service trucks. I was just wondering if anybodys had trouble with these things. I did a job for a town one time that the town cop was parked all night beside my equipment to insure nothing happened to it by tree huggers, has anybody else had problems????

WOW! That is some crazy stuff. I am constantly amazed by all the vandalism and bad stories I hear from other arborists who live in larger cities. So what I'm about to say is just my humble small town opinion! (For two years I left my saws in the back of my truck in my driveway and nobody even thought to steal them! I leave my keys in my truck to this day. still here!)

I think for me, lettering my trucks up has definately been all positive and really helped my business. Any smart business person realizes that your truck is like a moving billboard... for you to advertise the positive message of your company, and more importantly - to get more business. If you decide to advertise services such as 'tree cutting, topping, lot clearing etc.' then I guess tree huggers will have more of a reason to dislike you.

The type of logo, services provided as well as company reputation all help too. If you have morals, and good ethics karma wont come back and bite you in the ass either, I believe this.

:rocker:

WOW is right. I dealt with those types while at school, always saying all you tree guys do is cut down trees and poison the earth with OUR pesticides. They never mentioned the deadwooding and lighting protection we installed in a 40"+ dbh bur oak located 10 feet from a running path in the local park for a service project. As for the vinyl cutter that seems like it would be a good idea. I'm getting ready to letter my bucket and when I talked another owner who had his done back in 02 he said it cost him like $1200. And lets no forget the clients dog that jumps up on you truck and rips a letter or two that you need to replace every now and then. I too want to see some of handy work from that cutter. If it even looks close to my stuff I'm going to put in an order.

Do you have any pictures of your handiwork?

That seems like a good investment if you have a lot to do.

I assume you can only run one coler at a time?

Regarding color: yes, you cut one color at a time, and then put them on in layers.

"A lot to do?" Well, with the time and money I spent, I would probably have been better off to pay for the work. But now I can make new signs on the cheap, and if any signs get damaged, I can repair or replace at my convenience.

Plus, I can put cheap stickers where I would not otherwise do. Like company name on wheel barrows, log dollies, etc. There is also the possibility to make your own company shirts. They make some really cool materials that can be cut like vinyl, then cooked onto fabric for a silk-screen appearance. I haven't experimented with that yet.

I'll be glad to show my handiwork:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We will also put "Tree services division" in a couple of spots to let people know we do that also. I plan on adding to each truck a little here, a little there, until people get the clear impression that we want their business.

There is a drawback to new signs. Damn! Now I have to paint several of the trucks to make them look as good as the signs. My chipper truck is the worst. It's horrible looking.

I letter every flat surface on truck, trailer, loader, chipper hardhats boom side, bucket on front facing forward truck headboards whatever. The only thing here in jersey is town origin of business phone number, truck weight and dot # are all required We also the back of the chipper and believe it or not we do get calls while there following the equip. for est. its all about presentation and cleanliness .

Regarding color: yes, you cut one color at a time, and then put them on in layers.

"A lot to do?" Well, with the time and money I spent, I would probably have been better off to pay for the work. But now I can make new signs on the cheap, and if any signs get damaged, I can repair or replace at my convenience.

Plus, I can put cheap stickers where I would not otherwise do. Like company name on wheel barrows, log dollies, etc. There is also the possibility to make your own company shirts. They make some really cool materials that can be cut like vinyl, then cooked onto fabric for a silk-screen appearance. I haven't experimented with that yet.

I'll be glad to show my handiwork:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

We will also put "Tree services division" in a couple of spots to let people know we do that also. I plan on adding to each truck a little here, a little there, until people get the clear impression that we want their business.

There is a drawback to new signs. Damn! Now I have to paint several of the trucks to make them look as good as the signs. My chipper truck is the worst. It's horrible looking.

Nice looking work.

Other than the cutter itself and the vinyl, what where your costs?

The only time someone is going to want to call that number in front of them on the road is when they are pizzed off b/c they got cut off or some other reason.
this actually happened to me, I had a brake light out and the guy called my cell first and hung up when I answered so I figured wrong number then when I got home he had called the house phone and raised all kind of hell but what got me was he didn't have the balls to speak to me personally when he called my cell first but I have had people call me while sitting at a stop light.

We have never had problems with the people we work for but the ones that don't own it look out, these tree huggers are way out in left field somewhere and you never know what reaction you'll get and it doesn't matter if your trimming a tree in someones yard so it doesn't hang over the house or taking out a windbreak so a new one can be planted or cleaning up storm damage, these people are nuts.

We even had one guy call the cops and turned us in for STEALING HIS TREES when the cops showed up we had to explain that the property line was 200ft away and these weren't his but the guy we were working for, we even had to prove with ownership deeds where the line was and when it was all straightened out the guy was outraged that the cops didn't arrest us. He felt they were HIS because he watched the boxelders grow for 30 years even though they weren't on his property, then he attempted to stop us by TRYING to get us up on charges of "destroying endangered plant species" I never knew there was such a thing let alone boxelders being endangered. Finally the cops told him if he made another sound they'd arrest him for filing bogus reports. Then he got his kids involved and they filmed up for hours taking out these trees not on their property and were goiing to take us to court and sue for damages to trees they didn't own, apparently they couldn't find a lawyer to take the case but I,m sure were on the tree huggers top ten most wanted list somewhere.

Nice looking work.

Other than the cutter itself and the vinyl, what where your costs?

Somewhere less than $500 for the cutter and software, about $60 for a starter kit with 12 colors of vinyl samples & accessories like xacto knives, application fluid, and about $400 worth of vinyl materials.

Less than a grand for everything. I have quite a bit of time learning how to set up the cutter, use the software, and apply the signs. At least 20 hours invested on signs for three trucks and a few other signs.

in my opinion it doesn't matter how big or how much lettering you have, if people are looking for tree work and you look like a reputable company they will make sure they see the name on your truck. lettering does not sell work, quality does.

Somewhat true, but not really, either.

The business of selling things is taught at colleges as "Marketing". Everything I ever read on the topic of marketing says that you need continuous exposure to keep your name in their mind when the customer looks for work.

Let's say your nice shiny trucks with the pretty signs stop at the local convenience store every morning. Lets hope your guys act like gentlemen while they are there. A customer decides he needs to get some tree work done, and he opens up the yellow pages. Lo and behold! I know these guys! They are at the 7-11 every morning. Nice looking trucks too. I think I'll call them...

Your foot is in the door.

Without those signs, he might have called the biggest ad in the yellow pages, or called the company that does the trees where he works, or...someone besides you.

My equipment all just got painted they match. I can't wait to get the decals. Got some great ideas from this thread.

Back