Voglezang Performer Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone had expirience with this stove. Menards has them on sale for 700.00 and sounds like a good deal. 2200 sq ft, epa rated, non-cat. It seems like its a nice stove for the price. There are not many reviews for the stove due to it being a newer model. thanks

Using some common sence...retail 700$
The retailer paid about half of that...What can they build for 350$

Sickle,
You will hear a LOT of people bad mouth Vogelzang stoves. I can't quite understand why, other than ignorance, or they are basing their opinion on the old leaky box stoves of the past. I have a Vogelzang Defender wood stove that has faithfully heated my house for the past 3 years. It does so well, and uses FAR less wood than I would have ever thought possible.

Though the Vogelzang wood stoves may not be the best looking in the industry, they do perform well, and do what they are designed to do burn wood, and heat your home.

If I had to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would buy my stove all over again.

I'm not saying it won't burn wood or make heat.Sickle also lives in Indiana...call for heat is not that strong.Winters are not that long either.

Crappie got it: you do get what you pay for.

Sure, it will heat, so will a barrel stove. But if you're depending on an appliance to heat your place efficiently and safely and last more than a couple of years, why go cheap ? For anything.

(Hearthnet.com has excellent stove reviews)

JMNSHO

Crappie got it: you do get what you pay for.

Sure, it will heat, so will a barrel stove. But if you're depending on an appliance to heat your place efficiently and safely and last more than a couple of years, why go cheap ? For anything.

(Hearthnet.com has excellent stove reviews)

JMNSHO

:agree2:
We are talking about taking care on the largest investment in most peoples lives.

Sickle,
You will hear a LOT of people bad mouth Vogelzang stoves. I can't quite understand why, other than ignorance, or they are basing their opinion on the old leaky box stoves of the past.

Adam, how's the fit and finish? That's the complaint I've heard - they don't work as an airtight because they don't fit together well. I don't have any personal experience.

I've considered one of their boxwood stoves to heat my garage/shop. I mean, who expects a boxwood stove to be airtight? :laugh:

Though the Vogelzang wood stoves may not be the best looking in the industry,

Oh, I dunno. I think they look fine, myself. They sure aren't a Jotul, but then, they don't carry a Jotul price tag! :)

Oh, sickle, you can ignore Crappie. That sthick is his idea of selling Yukon wood furnaces. :monkey: He's a rep.

I live in central Indiana and saw a Napoleon 1400PL at a local Von Tobels hardware for $700. A very well made stove for the money

Thanks for the response. One question i have is who regulates how safe a stove is. Dont they have to maintain some safety standards? It has been sugested that the stove may not be safe. Is this due to poor standards or a breakdown of the parts over time?

Sickle, the EPA rates stoves based on emissions, but not safety. The agency that rates stoves for safety is UL. If it's UL rated, I don't think you have to worry at all.

http://www.vogelzang.com/browse.cfm/performer-epa-wood-stove/4,46.html

What bothers me is that they say it's "Safety tested to UL Standard 1482-1998."

They just say it's "tested". Big deal. I was tested a lot of times in school. I didn't always pass the test! Note that they don't say it PASSED!

I'd check on that!

Even if it is not, you probably wouldn't have to worry anyway. Make sure you install it according to code, especially the chimney, and you have no reason to worry about it.

Here's some general info:

http://nasdonline.org/document/1254/d001052/wood-stove-installation-and-operation.html

I have a Voglezang wood stove. I know there are better stoves out there but it heats my 1500 sq. ft house, and really that is all it has to do. I am not sure how long they last but I guess we'll see.

Adam, how's the fit and finish? That's the complaint I've heard - they don't work as an airtight because they don't fit together well. I don't have any personal experience.

I've considered one of their boxwood stoves to heat my garage/shop. I mean, who expects a boxwood stove to be airtight? :laugh:

The fit and finish is just fine. The paint looks great, and the door seals up nice and tight. The blower motor is a bit loud for my taste, but then again, the stove is only like 8' away from me while I'm sitting on the couch. I honestly only use that on the coldest nights to make sure the bedrooms in the back of the house are heated up nice. The only issue I had with mine, was the the cement that holds the door seal in place came lose in one place. That was all of a 5 minute fix and it was back in business.

It's a welded plate steel stove, that has a door with a seal that always passes the dollar bill test, I don't know how that can't be considered an airtight stove.

Airtight boxwood?? hahaha That being laughed at, I have a family member who has been heating with one of their boxwoods for going on like 12 years I think. Last year was the first year he had to redo the cement.

Thanks for the feedback, Adam.

Nothing at all wrong with welded plate - my Fisher is welded plate with cast iron doors, and it does just fine. :cheers:

The problem with a lot of the furnaces out there is that they do not come with a barometric draft regulator. A typical natural draft is around .08" of water column. Draft speed has a lot to do with how hot of a fire is created.
Fire temps getting too hot can and will warp then split steel fire box walls. Our furnaces are designed to operate at .03" or flue gas temps of 300-400 degrees. The fire in the box never gets hot enough to warp steel with it set up this way.Assuming the wood is seasoned cordwood.

So since I'm a Yukon rep I suppose that was all hooyey....:blob2:
I've been helping people stop the bleeding for 15 years.
Some people you can lead them to the water ,but you can't make em drink...:bang:

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Yukon is not the only choice for heating your home.
Sure we make a solid well built efficient furnace. There's near 40 years of proof of that.

Get what ever it is you think you need/want to heat your home...your the one that has to live with that choice. If it works out and your truely happy...GREAT!

If your struggling,I'd be glad to try to help you do something differently the next time around.

Last edited:
So since I'm a Yukon rep I suppose that was all hooyey....:blob2:

Probably not hooey. Just not relevant. He's asking about a STOVE.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Yukon is not the only choice for heating your home.

Yep. Some people don't have the budget for it. Some people don't have the room for it. Some people just prefer wood stoves.

Sure we make a solid well built efficient furnace. There's near 40 years of proof of that.

Probably so. Looks like a good product. That doesn't mean your sales pitch belongs in every thread about heating with wood.

Probably not hooey. Just not relevant. He's asking about a STOVE.

Yep. Some people don't have the budget for it. Some people don't have the room for it. Some people just prefer wood stoves.

Probably so. Looks like a good product. That doesn't mean your sales pitch belongs in every thread about heating with wood.

Well when it appears my info gets questioned I'll respond.
Your first few response are right on.
I guess I like people to be educated...if it sounds like a pitch well then so be it.....do you actually think I'll jump on the bandwagon when someone needs some solid advice and they are looking at what is the cheapest to buy?
Show them some options is my way of thinking.

In the end they will do what they think they need to do.After all how fair is it to say I don't give a rats butt about these people.
Just because I'm a rep doesn't mean the only reason I respond to them is to get their money.
I help people everyday that have other furnaces whose manufacture is out of business.....for nothing.
At the end of the day I sleep well knowing I could be of some help.
It's not always about the money.

Last edited:
Some people don't need, nor do they want a wood fired furnace. I personally would rather have the nice glow of a fire in my living room, than have to find, cut, haul, split, stack, then carry into my home to not be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor (and free time) by not being able to enjoy the fire and the radiant heat warming my entire house, not just the air.

Wood furnaces, as well as OWB's just don't fit everyone's application or needs, for some (me included) a wood stove was the only way to go. I bought a Vogelzang stove, and am completely satisfied with it's looks, form, fit, finish and most of all it's performance.

Some people don't need, nor do they want a wood fired furnace. I personally would rather have the nice glow of a fire in my living room, than have to find, cut, haul, split, stack, then carry into my home to not be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor (and free time) by not being able to enjoy the fire and the radiant heat warming my entire house, not just the air.

Wood furnaces, as well as OWB's just don't fit everyone's application or needs, for some (me included) a wood stove was the only way to go. I bought a Vogelzang stove, and am completely satisfied with it's looks, form, fit, finish and most of all it's performance.

I agree Adam...I've said as much,but you also live in Taxachuesetts...some guys live in colder climates and what you have would not work well.
Whenever someone says I get this or that you should always look at where they live as it has to do with the call for heat.They should also look at the size of the home,how well it is insulated and how tight the home is as to heat loss.
If a home has a larger heat load the wood will burn faster trying to keep up with that demand. Ergo in a more mild climate and shorter heating season a guy will burn less wood and be able to meet that demand much easier.

Latest posts

Back