VT Hitch Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YEAH! good pix - you're well on your way - nice work.

I know this is a 'work in progress' but, a couple of questions, please:

I noticed no f8 stopping your dfl - not needed? or not needed yet?

Does your vt twist (or 'hockle') your line when decending?

No stopper on the dfl as it is not needed. I habitually tie my terminations with a tail EXACTLY the width of my left palm. It makes it easy to set and easy to check for creep. I switched to dfl from figure 8 on a bight 3 months ago and to date have noted no creep whatsoever.

Sadly the line does twist (hockle is a new word for me) on rapid descents but less than when I use a figure 8 descender! I do not have an answer for that phenomenon.

I believe that I would use a triple overhand knot as a termination for the climbing line, rather than just a double. There were several other threads recently that discussed the probability of failure using just the double, and ways to prevent it.

Others here on AS have reported they use the triple by preference, too. It's just one more wrap than you are currently using, so why not?

Also, it looks like you're using a Denny Moorhouse (DMM, ISC) designed carabiner. Just a note of caution, the Fixe should be derated for that style biner. They tend to load one side plate more than the other - Don't take it wrong - I'm quite sure it's fine for as a slack tender - But your stopper through the back of the Fixe may load one side plate more heavily with that biner. Just something to keep an eye on during development of your rig. You might find an HMS to be a little more friendly.
From the Petzl literature:
picture.php

Yawn, I must go to bed but just one.. more... post...snore.

I studied the thumbnail attached and saw the point immediately. I am trialling different neoprene washers like the one in picture to limit pulley movement which may well solve the issue if I can succesfully lock the pulley in one place where the line of rope extended out is parallel with the side plate. Do you think that is appropriate?

Ok, now I am definately going to bed.

:cheers:

Also, it looks like you're using a Denny Moorhouse (DMM, ISC) designed carabiner. Just a note of caution, the Fixe should be derated for that style biner. They tend to load one side plate more than the other - Don't take it wrong - I'm quite sure it's fine for as a slack tender - But your stopper through the back of the Fixe may load one side plate more heavily with that biner. Just something to keep an eye on during development of your rig. You might find an HMS to be a little more friendly.
From the Petzl literature:
picture.php

CLARIFICATION:
HMS* carabiner - the nearly constant radius at the top results in nearly neutral side forces on connections at the top - recommended for Munter Hitch (Italian Hitch - down under) and relatively good for the Fixe - works similar to the oval shown in the Petzl literature. Just two examples (there are many):
STEEL: http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Steel/Carabiner-293
media.nl

ALUMINUM: http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Aluminum/Carabiner-270
media.nl

*HMS stands for something like "Halbmastwurfsicherung" and is translated from German to English as "Half of a Clove Hitch".

Last edited:
I believe that I would use a triple overhand knot as a termination for the climbing line, rather than just a double. There were several other threads recently that discussed the probability of failure using just the double, and ways to prevent it.

Others here on AS have reported they use the triple by preference, too. It's just one more wrap than you are currently using, so why not?

:agree2:
If you're going to use a DFL (or DOK) for your termination there's no reason not to use a TFL (or TOK). Takes one more second to tie and is a lot more secure.

I think you can get by with doubles on your BeeLine if you whip and frap the ends - that is, once you're happy with the length.
picture.php

Last edited:
I hear you on the triple for terminations. I have noticed no creep since I started using the double but the ease of adding one more wrap makes the argument one of laziness over commonsense. Guess I will be climbing on a triple fishermans for a termination. :cheers:

Update

I tried the VT and I dont care for the self-minding properties of it. I switched to an XT which seems much safer to me (thanks Moss).

I need suggestions on ascending technique though. I dont have any mechanical ascenders so, what are my options using a foot loop prusik. I am trying the XT setup (similar to Moss' setup) on an NT VI Special harness.

The issue I am having is that i dont get enough travel using a foot loop with the XT. I like to get at least 18" of vertical travel with each step.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

By the way, thanks to all for your help on this subject. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back