Wages

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amos

Reaction score
Hello,

I am just wondering what (roughly) the average wage for a qualified climber in the USA is. Thanks for any help.

It varies so much that an average hardly seems representative! There may be an official average tabulated somewhere. My best "imformed" guess(based on talking to people in various areas of the country) is approx $25 per hour. Whether that includes benefits such as health insurance etc. also varies so It doesn't tell the whole story. Bottom line....If you are a climber the answer is probably-"NOT ENOUGH!".

Cost of living varies so much in this country that one cannot give an acurate measure of the value of pay.

An example is, on my last trip I compared a similar breakfast in a number of areas, 3 hotcakes, sausage and coffee was from 5.50-13.20 mostly in truckstops and "greasey spoon" restaurants.

Then some companies have insentive programs for productivity and I know a number that activly encorage selling by climbers and commision sales.

So it is only muni and ROW type work where you can get an regional hourly average on wages.

Then there are the companies that pay flat daily wages in violation with federal labor laws.

Also, many large market areas that pay well cost too much for even well paid labor to live in, thus making them comute which costs more in fuel and insurance.

If you intend to move over here, try to get an idea of the cost of housing, auto insurance and other large fixed expenses. Then you can compare the variouse areas more accurately.

Not sure what average or qualified climer means. If it means they climb only, probably not much. If you are a competent climber and can take care of operations, keep things running, and make sure a job is executed start to finish properly, the sky is the limit.

emphasis on self discipline. self confidence is good too.

Self employed may be the way to go. Americans would probably dig having an Aussie work on their trees.

I found that Germans really enjoyed having an American working on their trees.

Goodluck

Back