Walbro HD199 Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should see squirt of fuel from A pump. If not A pump faulty, circuit plugged, pump plunger stuck or steel welch on face of carb(not the brass dust cover) leaks.
Mostly likely plugged circuit.

Treemonkey has stated publicly that it's not the accel pump, I take him at his word.

I've leak tested and traced every passage and have found no blockage. Both bad carbs are in excellent condition, appear to be almost new, they both came on low hour, very clean 359's with scored pistons. The good one came on a 357xp from a tree service that looks quite well used.

If the saw is a low hour sit on a shelf more time than not saw chances are the brass plunger is not worn out. Clean and check for leaks. O-ring may still be suspect.

Of course I checked the accel pump circuits anyway, mine have black plungers with a double lipped seal like an x ring, all three show no obvious wear and pump fine.

...It was difficult to accelerate without feathering the throttle but once you got past that dead spot, it would rev up but only 4 stroke very slightly. The idle was also all over the place, then stall. It seemed like the slightest adjustment of the jets would sometimes have very odd outcomes, and sometimes, seemed to do nothing at all....

The sick HDA199 symptoms described in this thread match the 'goofyness' we've experienced with the HDA164 carbs on our Poulan Pro 330's...........and those don't have accelerator pump. If I have an issue with a carburetor on another PP330 type saw I'll send the carb to Scott to work his magic.

Last edited:
The sick HDA199 symptoms described in this thread match the 'goofyness' we've experienced with the HDA164 carbs on our Poulan Pro 330's...........and those don't have accelerator pump. If I have an issue with a carburetor on another PP330 type saw I'll send the carb to Scott to work his magic.

Those carbs cost around $30.00 new, unless things have changed a lot.

Treemonkey has stated publicly that it's not the accel pump, I take him at his word.

I've leak tested and traced every passage and have found no blockage. Both bad carbs are in excellent condition, appear to be almost new, they both came on low hour, very clean 359's with scored pistons. The good one came on a 357xp from a tree service that looks quite well used.

Of course I checked the accel pump circuits anyway, mine have black plungers with a double lipped seal like an x ring, all three show no obvious wear and pump fine.

If you have eliminated the entire A pump circuit as the source of the need to feather the trigger/choke regardless of Hi/Lo needle position what is the next thing to check?

Some of these carbs were crap out of the box.

I just paid 70.00 each for two of em...... :msp_sad:

Holy smokes, that was one of the carbs that a place that serviced Poulans would just replace instead of rebuilding. $30.00 was my cost not theirs. $70.00 a pop none of those saws would have been serviced, people complained about a $30.00 repair bill.

I would recommend shopping around a bit as that seems like a good bit of middleman mark up.

At $100.00 a pop people would slap the man behind the counter with a broke down Poulan.

None of the Walbro 199s that I have taken apart have had a black plunger. It is always a brass plunger. Is the black plunger made out of plastic?

Last edited:
he already has it figured out so he most likely wouldn't care to read all this. Probably has more useful things to do, just guessing on my part. I don't know him but if I see a thread on a subject that I have thoroughly mastered and if I don't feel like contributing anything to it I never read it. To many other things to read where I might actually learn something.:popcorn::popcorn:

He's busy with his mill right now. Doubt after the first 8 pages he cares where this thread ends up. I don't believe I'd blame him.

Those carbs cost around $30.00 new, unless things have changed a lot.

Getting an HDA137 is somewhat hit and miss. The Poulan part # for a PP330/PP380/3450/3750 carb comes up as a HDA164, but sometimes will net you an HDA137. I snagged mine for $29 plus shipping on feebay a while back. It was specifically listed as an NOS HDA137.

Anyone willing to guess.

Would anyone have an idea why the guy I bought the boxes of parts from know why this guy bought so many parts for the walbro 199a. There is about 20 throttle shafts and plates, 30 brass fuel spouts, about a hundred jet screws and springs, needle valves, plastic plates (dont know proper name) complete carb kits and a pile of carb heating kits that really are not that popular around here. The box was labled, walbro 359 husky parts. My guess is it took him a while to figure out the problem. I tried to contact him to see if he could let me know what he figured out, but so far, he doesn't want to talk about chainsaws anymore.

Would anyone have an idea why the guy I bought the boxes of parts from know why this guy bought so many parts for the walbro 199a. There is about 20 throttle shafts and plates, 30 brass fuel spouts, about a hundred jet screws and springs, needle valves, plastic plates (dont know proper name) complete carb kits and a pile of carb heating kits that really are not that popular around here. The box was labled, walbro 359 husky parts. My guess is it took him a while to figure out the problem. I tried to contact him to see if he could let me know what he figured out, but so far, he doesn't want to talk about chainsaws anymore.

husky will tell you anything to sell parts

I'm kinda mixed up now as to which carb is the preferred one
But just spotted a listing of the hda-164.

"... 530069895 POULAN WALBRO HDA-164 CARBURETOR

Brand: Poulan WeedEater
Part #: 530069895
Replaces: HDA-164
Our Price: $26.44 ..."

lol
if i tell you what the problems are, you all will feel like fools
so i can't tell you

well, not today any way

hint; the saw has a poor impulse

Lol. You're a good man for even providing that much. Sometimes you have to stop looking outside the box and open it up. All my 199A's are running great.

Latest posts

Back